Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37   #21
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Ammo wise, two sources with the best prices I've seen:

Georgia Arms. I've verified that it is as they advertised in speed.
http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx

BVAC, sold at cheaperthandirt.com. It's less than advertised, but cheap.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM5832-1.html

Like others have said, save them brass !
Thanks mod, I forgot to mention georgia arms...they do meet their advertised velocities also, and they are a very good deal. Great target ammo for 10mm.

Ive run 200rds of BVAC through my 20, and I have no complaints other than it nowhere near meets its 1200fps stated velocity, more like 1000fps...that being said, it isnt too dirty, and shoots well, and they use reloadable brass! But, for the price, you are better off buying from georgia arms, unless you have some other stuff you are buying from cheaperthandirt that would help spread out the cost of shipping, which was the case when I ordered four boxes of it...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01   #22
alwaysshootin

Welcome Chucky2! If you live anywhere around the Cincy area, I'd be more than happy to let you sling some lead down range to give her a try. I have everything from mild to wild, in 10MM ammo.

Get the G20, you know you want to, and, no matter what you decide on, firearms wise, if it's something other than a 10, you will just have to get one down the road, anyway! To a novice, you won't be able to tell a 40, from a 45, from a 10MM. They are all, "for real" and, none, would you describe as being soft shooting firearms. By the way, the three calibers, mentioned above, do not kick like a snub nosed .357, or any of the 44 mag plus firearms, so with confidence I say get a 10! You'll love it! Not to mention, you only get to buy your first handgun once. Make it a winner!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:59   #23
rjkobbeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
Hi!

I've been doing some Internet research for a while now on which first pistol to get, uses will be range duty first and then when proficient, home defense. It seems like the 10mm offers the best of all worlds as far as power, range, accuracy, modularity (can swap different barrels easily but not the other way around for pistols based on lesser calibers).

My question is, how realistic is it to expect me, as someone who's never shot a real gun before (.22 rifle a few times about 20 years ago), to be able handle even the light 10mm loads (to practice with)?

If 10mm is too much to learn with, should I still go with something like the Glock 20SF and then just right away buy an "easier" caliber barrel to start learning with?
It is not too much to learn with. The 10 is indeed awesome, but its recoil is exaggerated by many. The biggest drawback (if you want to call it that) is its size. It is physically larger than the smallerish-framed 9mm/.40/Sig/Gap guns. I strongly recommend handling one first. The "SF" variation is recommended for medium to smaller hands. I own the "SF" versions of both the 20 and 29. Love them both.

Honestly, just learn proper holding/shooting technique and you have nothing to worry about.
rjkobbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:35   #24
edporch

If nothing else, start with the 10mm loads that are little more than .40 in their ballistics.
Then work up to the full power loads as you feel comfortable.
SAF Life Member
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:41   #25
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Come on over. We'll shoot a hundred rounds through the .454 Casull. The 10 will seem like a .22 after that.
Old 10-11-2011, 17:31   #26
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist

Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
Chucky2,

Welcome to Glock Talk. Welcome to the 10 Ring. I do feel bad that your in Illinois, just out side of Chicago... where it is not very firearms friendly.

I might be typical of most of the guys you will find on this forum, in that I have been around firearms most of my life. I started shooting when I was 6 years old. I used my father's .22 for Squirrel, and a .410 Single action for Rabbit before moving up to a .410 Pump. At age 10 or 11 I went Deer hunting with an Ithaca 37 in 20 Gauge. At age 13, 14 or so I moved up to the 12 Gauge for Rabbit and Deer. At about 14 or 15 years old I started Squirrel hunting with a compact M1911A1 chambered in .380 ACP. In the late 90's to early 2000's I pushed to have the rules changed here in Ohio so that the 10mm could be used to hunt White Tail Deer. The case length of the 10mm was only .998 and the ODNR stated that a handgun cartridge had to have a straight walled case of 1 inch or greater in order to be used for White Tail Deer. I presented published ballistics of several calibers and they removed the case length limitation. Easy as pie.

I have shot all the popular handgun calibers from .22 Short all the way out to the .44 Magnum. Over the years I have been given several different handguns and pistols as Birth Day gifts or Christmas gifts, but when I went to spend my own money, to purchase my own firearm, I bought a Glock 20. I am a huge 10mm fan.

I spend a lot of time talking to new shooters. Some times you can talk to a new shooter and it is very clear right from the start that this guy or gal should start small and work up to it. Then there are those new shooters who spend a few minutes with a semi-auto .22 and ask what else you got that is bigger and more fun. They grab for the .357 Magnum revolver and after a few minutes turn to you and repeat the question... what do you have that is bigger and more fun !! Everyone is different. My younger brother's wife (5'-2" or maybe less, I don't remember) went from a .22 semi-auto to his Glock 20 on the very first day. She loves it. She isn't strong enough to hold it out there for a full magazine worth of shooting, but she is very accurate and loves to shoot it more than any other handgun we have collectively.

To be honest I usually tell new shooters to buy a Glock 19 and shoot it till they're penny-less. I tell them to shoot the hell out of it. Get good, learn proper stance and trigger control. Then after they can hit what they're aiming at, every time, go buy the next handgun or long gun. I do this because they can walk into any Wal-mart and buy 9mm ammunition. I figure new shooters need to shoot more. So a firearm in a popular cartridge makes that all the easier.

My younger brother is 6'-5" and has big hands, like I do, so instead of buying a Glock 19 he went straight to the Glock 20. It fits his hand better, and he loves it, it was his Daily Carry pistol up until about a month ago when he replaced it with a Springfield M1911A1 EMP in 9mm. I personally think he will go back to the Glock 20... just because it is a much better cartridge. My youngest brother is 6' and has much less experience with handguns so he purchased a Glock 19 and is shooting the hell out of it. He has since added a Glock 17 and a bunch of magazines.

I would like to echo what another poster said in that the Glock 20, 21, 29, 30 are all chunky Glocks. They are wide, or thick... So make sure you can get a grip on it before you buy it.

Other than that, I would say go buy a Glock 20 (either regular or SF) and shoot the hell out of it.

The 10 Ring

My Every Day Carry (EDC)
The 10 Ring

"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 20:42   #27
TDC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Come on over. We'll shoot a hundred rounds through the .454 Casull. The 10 will seem like a .22 after that.
Amen, brother!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04   #28
Treiz

Quote:
Everyone,

Thank you for all the responses! I really didn't think I'd get near that many, I really appreciate all the feedback and advice!

Few comments back to the thread:

1.) Very good idea on going to the range and trying out some rentals. I had/have that idea myself. Got to take a basic pistol course, then I can go to about the only range around here with lots of rental options: MegaSports in Plainfield (or so I've found after lots of calling and asking around).
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, I grew up with .22 and shot guns from scouts, but didn't know much beyond that. I took some great advice and tried out lots of weapons and rounds, but when I picked up the 10mm (had never heard of it before) things just clicked.

I'm not a big guy, so I was expecting the 10mm to be a bit too much for me, but I was actually surprised after checking it out and all the hype and the knowledge of why the FBI passed on the round, that the round was only marginally more snappy than a 40S&W. the first words out of my mouth were "that was it?". I think part of it is due to my Glock 20SF, as others have pointed out it is tough.

For me, the 10mm is the best so why settle? The Glock 20 is a great gun. I also own a 29SF for ccw. I'm hooked and I'm looking at getting a 10mm Kimber next, and possibly a S&W 500Mag X-frame after that. For fun, ya'know...
Old 01-07-2013, 23:11   #29
chucky2

Well, update on my thread:

I finally was able to get in some time to go shooting with a bud. Instead of going to MegaSports, we went to GAT Guns in Dundee, IL. Nice place, but understandably swamped because of the recent school shooting.

They had a non-SF non-Gen4 G20C, a 21SF that others were using, and some a pretty good selection of other handguns. It was so crazy busy, we only shot two: G20C first, and then a XD-M 4.5" .45. We shot 180gr 10mm and 230gr .45, I can't remember what type.

Both the 10mm and .45 really seemed to feel about the same powerwise. Nothing either of us couldn't handle (I'm about 270 and mostly fat, he's about 230 good amount of muscle). All our shots were within 6-10 inches of where we were aiming; it was my first time really shooting a pistol (except for my one day training class with almost all .22) and I believe his first time as well.

Based on the above, I decided screw it, I'm done waiting and screwing around, I'm going to get a Gen4 G20. Found out about GSSF, sent in for the 2 year individual membership. Once I get my certificate, I'll bring it up to GAT and get/order my pistol; called GAT, they know about and honor the GSSF.

Also I ordered a 10mm to .40 KKM conversion barrel. I figure I'll get better with cheap .40 ammo and just have some 10mm stuff to have fun with and for home SD duty. I called KKM before ordering and they said the current barrel works fine in the Gen4.

That's about it...thank you all for the info and advice, I appreciate it!

Chuck
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:20   #30
countrygun

"21 carrier" nailed it in post #6. with most factory ammo being just slightly hotter than the .40 S&W I find that my G20sf is more comfortable than my G22Not really a problem at all.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 14:18   #31
dbcooper

I took my 14 year old to the range on Sunday to shoot his new 10-22 and I let him have a go with the G20sf. He kept everything on the 6inch shoot-n-c target at 15 yds with no problem. He ran 2 mags of Underwood ammo and wanted to keep shooting mine instead of the ruger. He's small for his age with small hands and he had no problem with the grip size or the recoil.
Old 01-08-2013, 17:10   #32
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I would get the G20SF. I was in your position several years ago, and I got talked out of the G20SF. Everyone told me that it had too much recoil, it was a dead caliber, etc., etc., etc. I ended up going for the G21SF. Well, I was happy with it, but I always wanted a 10mm. When I finally got a G29 this year, I fell head over heels in love, just like I knew I would. I should have trusted my judgement. It is now PAINFULLY clear to me that all of the 10mm haters out there have never shot one. If they had, they would not speak such trash.

I have been shooting my G21SF less and less lately. However, I just today finished converting it to a G20L, so I will be shooting it much more. The .45ACP is great, but it's nothing like 10mm. You can handle it. Most commercially available 10mm target ammo is not much more powerful than decent .40S&W ammo. AND, the G20SF has a much heavier slide, and thicker grip. They serve to reduce the recoil greatly. I think a G20SF with light 10mm ammo has less recoil than a .40S&W G22. Even medium powered 10mm ammo is no worse than hot SD .40S&W ammo. It's only when you get to the true full-power 10mm ammo that recoil gets pretty stiff. And even then, the G20 handles it REALLY well.

I promise you that when you get your G20SF, and fire the first few shots, you will be wondering what everyone was talking about. It's no big deal. It really isn't. I would HIGHLY recommend spending some time at the range renting guns. Even if you can't find a 10mm Glock, you can shoot some .40S&W versions (which will give you a decent idea of how light-medium 10mm will feel), and you will learn how much a 9mm or .40S&W recoils. This will give you experience and better perspective when you step up to the G20.

There are several people around here who bought G20s as their first handguns, so you won't be the first. They had no issues, and LOVE their guns. Off the top of my head is GT member Arushus. Talk to him. Also, the .40S&W conversion barrel is a good idea. It will help you get in more practice for less money. Eventually, you will be bitten by the reloading bug (as most 10mm fans do), and will buy a press. So, save all of your brass. Even if you never reload, many of us will buy it from you. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to GT!
* /// You talked me into it, I'm buying a G-29 this week (Blue Label). Thanks for your honest input. -Mark
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:05   #33
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Hi!

I've been doing some Internet research for a while now on which first pistol to get, uses will be range duty first and then when proficient, home defense. It seems like the 10mm offers the best of all worlds as far as power, range, accuracy, modularity (can swap different barrels easily but not the other way around for pistols based on lesser calibers).

My question is, how realistic is it to expect me, as someone who's never shot a real gun before (.22 rifle a few times about 20 years ago), to be able handle even the light 10mm loads (to practice with)?

If 10mm is too much to learn with, should I still go with something like the Glock 20SF and then just right away buy an "easier" caliber barrel to start learning with?
Why do ALL newbies think and talk the same way! "Power, range, accuracy, modularity, etc." Of course someone with this mentality IS NOT going to understand; but, ....... first things first: Learn how to, 'work a pistol'. Learn your grip; learn your trigger; learn how to quickly find your ideal front sight picture, and, 'How' to anchor all of your shot inside it.

Then you can start screwing around with all of the, 'awesome calibers'! How will you know when you're ready? Draw and fire multiple shots into a 6 inch circle at and inside 10 yards WITHOUT any misses. If you can do that ....... you're ready.

Here's my lowly G-21 (45 ACP) at 16 yards, and just as fast as I could make the pistol go, 'Bang!' (Very hot, 'top of the chart' ammo) Until you can do this, too, you're not going to be ready for: "power, range, and accuracy". In my experience, unless they're hunters, guys who are really good with their pistols simply don't think that way.

The 10 Ring
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:59   #34
copo9560

Quote:
Well, update on my thread:

I finally was able to get in some time to go shooting with a bud. Instead of going to MegaSports, we went to GAT Guns in Dundee, IL. Nice place, but understandably swamped because of the recent school shooting.

They had a non-SF non-Gen4 G20C, a 21SF that others were using, and some a pretty good selection of other handguns. It was so crazy busy, we only shot two: G20C first, and then a XD-M 4.5" .45. We shot 180gr 10mm and 230gr .45, I can't remember what type.

Both the 10mm and .45 really seemed to feel about the same powerwise. Nothing either of us couldn't handle (I'm about 270 and mostly fat, he's about 230 good amount of muscle). All our shots were within 6-10 inches of where we were aiming; it was my first time really shooting a pistol (except for my one day training class with almost all .22) and I believe his first time as well.

Based on the above, I decided screw it, I'm done waiting and screwing around, I'm going to get a Gen4 G20. Found out about GSSF, sent in for the 2 year individual membership. Once I get my certificate, I'll bring it up to GAT and get/order my pistol; called GAT, they know about and honor the GSSF.

Also I ordered a 10mm to .40 KKM conversion barrel. I figure I'll get better with cheap .40 ammo and just have some 10mm stuff to have fun with and for home SD duty. I called KKM before ordering and they said the current barrel works fine in the Gen4.

That's about it...thank you all for the info and advice, I appreciate it!

Chuck

While there are those who don't like the idea, I have found the stock G20 barrel shoots 40SW just fine and recoil is very low due to heavy slide. Curious how you like the KKM after you get it running.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:04   #35
MinervaDoe

If you're serious about learning to shoot accuately, get a .22, and then work your way up to larger calibers.
If you want to develop a bad flinch, which you will never cure, then, sure, go out and buy the biggest, baddest gun that you can conceive of.

But, what do I know. I can usually take a chick who's never shot before and have her outshooting most guys with a .38 or a 9mm in three or four lessons.
Of course, that's not really a fair comparison because most guys started out with the biggest, baddest gun they can conceive of and developed an incurable flinch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:06   #36
MinervaDoe

But, what do I know. Most of my groups look like this.
The 10 Ring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:51   #37
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
The 10 Ring
Nice shooting there MD!

Chucky2, you'll do fine with the G20. That big ol' gun mellows out loads quite a bit if you are shooting "FBI Loads." Congratulations on a terrific gun. It is my favorite.

The biggest drawback is that 10mm ammo is really freaking expensive. It is almost essential to become a reloader. An inexpensive loading setup can pay for itself in about 1000 rounds.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03   #38
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:

[IMG] [/IMG]
NOTE-TO-SELF: Always be polite to MinervaDoe, and be sure to address him as, 'Sir'!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27   #39
chucky2

Quote:
If you're serious about learning to shoot accuately, get a .22, and then work your way up to larger calibers.
If you want to develop a bad flinch, which you will never cure, then, sure, go out and buy the biggest, baddest gun that you can conceive of.

But, what do I know. I can usually take a chick who's never shot before and have her outshooting most guys with a .38 or a 9mm in three or four lessons.
Of course, that's not really a fair comparison because most guys started out with the biggest, baddest gun they can conceive of and developed an incurable flinch.
That's sort of what I'm going to do. I don't plan on shooting 10mm at all really (except maybe just for fun). The .40 conversion barrel is going right in and I plan to find the weakest .40 target ammo I can and shoot that.

Are you saying that in the G20 with the heavier slide, even weak .40 target ammo is going to be too much for me?

Chuck
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29   #40
chucky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo9560 View Post
While there are those who don't like the idea, I have found the stock G20 barrel shoots 40SW just fine and recoil is very low due to heavy slide. Curious how you like the KKM after you get it running.
I'll post back here once I get it in and running, or, start another thread.