Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2011, 16:32   #1
Bruce M

Vicarious liability

I hadn't contemplated vicarious liability recently, but obviously some have. In a nutshell, after a crash involving an ATV and officers who had been drinking, the direct supervisor has been recommended for termination. Others up the level of major have been given demotions or days off.

http://www.local10.com/news/29477630/detail.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/1...ence-lies.html

I realize that this isn't civil liability, but it certainly suggests there can be consequences for supervisors.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-13-2011 at 16:56..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:32   #2
RVER

Vicarious liability... On Monday your a patrol officer minding your own business on the street while a squad member is actively choking out a hand cuffed prisoner at the booking center. No problem for you. On Tuesday your promoted to Shift Sergeant (Congrats by the way - enjoy the extra money because your the Dept's newest "fall guy")when the same exact thing happens again. Now you have some splainin to do - alot of it... Just the way it is, always has been, and always will be. Same thing for goes for UOF and EVOC trainers - can you hear the "failure to train" chants yet? Good luck navigating the promotional mine field.
RVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:47   #3
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

As a supervisor, you are responsible for a subordinate's actions.

If you know about a subordinate's violation, and fail to do anything about it (misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance) the hammer will really be able to hit you hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 18:25   #4
Bruce M

I am not a supervisor - what I found interesting about this is how high (Major) discipline/demotions reached up.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 20:10   #5
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am not a supervisor - what I found interesting about this is how high (Major) discipline/demotions reached up.
It can and will reach as high as they can prove who had knowledge of the violations, and didn't do anything about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 22:03   #6
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
It can and will reach as high as they can prove who had knowledge of the violations, and didn't do anything about them.
Sort of the same here. They factor in several things here. Plus you have to factor in upper crust agency types. It seems here if you mess up mildly and you are not wholly bad you get promoted up. If you seem indispensable for your position you are basically kept there.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote