Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2011, 17:45   #1
XDRoX

Rusty Dillon part...

So UPS just dropped off a package. I opened it to find my new 380 conversion kit. I ordered it from Graf's.

When I opened it I found this. I called Dillon and told them what happened. Their response was it's normal to get a little moisture in the boxes sometimes and for it to rust. He told me to take a little emery cloth to it and call it good.

What do you guys think? Should I have demanded a new one, or is a little rust nothing to worry about? I'm not really familiar with rust, I keep pretty good care of all my stuff.

Reloading
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:51   #2
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I wouldn't sweat it Chris.... The realty is it Graf's that should be giving you a new one. Probably had it on their shelf for a while. You could just spray it with a little WD-40 and scour it with some 00 steel wool.

On another thought your gonna load .380 ACP, don't you already load 9mm? If you do I would return the .380 conversion get a .223, you use the shell plate for .380 and you 9mm F funnel along with the appropriate pins. You'll be set to load .223 later down the line.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:53   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Not going to bother a thing as long as it's not actually pitted. Spray it with some penetrating oil, (such as Kroil or whatever you have handy), then polish it with some steel wool.

Note, only BLUE related parts rust... RED related parts always stay in pristine condition. )

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:54   #4
Ahmid
CLM Number 299
Charter Lifetime Member

I wouldn't accept that, it's more than just minor surface rust...
Old 10-13-2011, 17:57   #5
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I wouldn't sweat it Chris.... The realty is it Graf's that should be giving you a new one. Probably had it on their shelf for a while. You could just spray it with a little WD-40 and scour it with some 00 steel wool.

On another thought your gonna load .380 ACP, don't you already load 9mm? If you do I would return the .380 conversion get a .223, you use the shell plate for .380 and you 9mm F funnel along with the appropriate pins. You'll be set to load .223 later down the line.
Man Boxer. I could have used your advice before ordering. I'm already set up to reload 9mm and 223. My fault for not checking I guess. Maybe I just will return it.
Old 10-13-2011, 18:20   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Whats the inside look like? That is outside and would make zero difference to the function. If it's inside the funnel it might be a issue. Polish it out and don't worry about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 18:26   #7
n2extrm

I had one similar in condition that was my own fault. Cleaned up fine with kroil and 000 steel wool.
Old 10-13-2011, 18:30   #8
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Whats the inside look like? That is outside and would make zero difference to the function. If it's inside the funnel it might be a issue. Polish it out and don't worry about it.
The inside is perfect. But I did just look at the rest of my parts and I do have everything to load 380 already Live and learn I guess.

Now I'm stuck with what to do.

1. Keep the rusty one and clean it.
2. Return it and use the pieces I already have to load 380.

I'm probably going to go with option #1 because even though I already have all the pieces to load 380, I would have to take apart my 9mm tool head to get the funnel out of it. Not a huge issue, but I love having complete tool heads for each of my calibers. I already have a complete tool head for the 380 with a powder measure.

Last edited by XDRoX; 10-13-2011 at 18:33..
Old 10-13-2011, 18:32   #9
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
I had one similar in condition that was my own fault. Cleaned up fine with kroil and 000 steel wool.
I just took apart my 9mm head to see if it was an "F" size funnel and it was a little rusty as well

Guess I don't keep as good of care of my stuff as I thought

Last edited by XDRoX; 10-13-2011 at 18:33..
Old 10-13-2011, 18:42   #10
XDRoX

Just cleaned it off. Smooth as silk again.
Old 10-13-2011, 20:18   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Man Boxer. I could have used your advice before ordering. I'm already set up to reload 9mm and 223. My fault for not checking I guess. Maybe I just will return it.
NO brainer there brother send it back and buy bullet/primers/powder

For future reference: http://brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 00:12   #12
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

A small price to pay for dabbling with .380.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08   #13
noylj

Is there rust on the working surface? When you use it, does it have any effect?
As for me, the powder funnels need to kept free of oil. Without bluing or coating, they are always at risk of rust and, I'll bet, many people have some powder funnels with rust. I have a couple, but none are rusty on the working surfaces. Just rubbing against the cases will either retard rusting (like train tracks have some resistance to rusting die to frequent load carrying) or will rub off any rust.
This has been an industry issue since many companies have stopped bluing there parts due to EPA regulations and to save money.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41   #14
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I'm lazy. I want a full toolhead setup to swap in and out, don't want to have to start taking apart the powder drop to swap it.

That's what I have right now for 9mm and .45ACP, as I start with others (I can see .380 and .40 down the road) I will do the same thing.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55   #15
scattershot

looks like it turned out well with a little cleanup, but I would have returned it to Grafs. It doesn't appear that the rust was on a working surface, but it should never have left the retailer looking like that.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30   #16
Colorado4Wheel

It's not like the retailer opens every box before shipping. Perhaps Dillon should have oiled it up and wrapped it in some paper. I have not had one rust like that and I like not having to clean off the oil. But, I have never had a rusted one come to me.
Old 10-14-2011, 13:09   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
It's not like the retailer opens every box before shipping. Perhaps Dillon should have oiled it up and wrapped it in some paper. I have not had one rust like that and I like not having to clean off the oil. But, I have never had a rusted one come to me.
Agreed, for the time involved in returning & waiting for the new one, 5mn w/ some steel wool & oil, degrease, good to go.
Now Chris, if you want to sell me your 550/223 setup, I am looking to buy.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 13:32   #18
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Man Boxer. I could have used your advice before ordering. I'm already set up to reload 9mm and 223.
Always look at the Dillon chart before you order something.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 15:37   #19
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I'm lazy. I want a full toolhead setup to swap in and out, don't want to have to start taking apart the powder drop to swap it.

That's what I have right now for 9mm and .45ACP, as I start with others (I can see .380 and .40 down the road) I will do the same thing.

Too easy to screw up and have the wrong part installed then try and figure out why it is not working right. All the parts come off and then the other ones are installed. Even if they take the same part. I look for speed and convenience. Not trying for CRB.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-14-2011, 22:04   #20
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post

If you currently load the 9mm, just buy a toolhead and powder funnel for the .40. The 9mm shellplate and buttons will work with the .40/10mm.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote