Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:55   #1
norton

Shotshell reloading presses-lets see them

I looked way back in the back of my gun cabinet and lurking there was the Remington Competition Master in 12 gauge. Dragged it out and plan to take it to the range tomorrow. So I stopped at the local gun store and bought 40 rounds of Buck shot. Stuff is expensive.
I had a Mec 600 Jr press that I reloaded on as a teenager, but now I can't find it. Oh well.
So
What reloading presses do you guys use? Mec? Dillon? Others? Show me some photos and what you like, don't like about them.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21   #2
norton

Well, I guess no one owns a shotshell press.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:21   #3
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I do! I do!

Pre '83 MEC 600JR for 20ga. I have the auto primer feed (which doesn't really work as advertised), so I just manually flip the lever to place the primer. Still faster than doing it with my fingers. That ceiling fan chain thing doesn't work to automatically reset it. I also use the MultiScale shot/powder bar so I don't have to mess with bushings. I just move it back and forth until I get where I want and tighten the set screw. Same concept that the Dillon powder measures use.

I would love to get a Dillon SL900 with casefeeder for 20ga. I'd load the volume loads on that and save the MEC single stage for buckshot, slugs, and load development.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34   #4
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
I do! I do!

Pre '83 MEC 600JR for 20ga. I have the auto primer feed (which doesn't really work as advertised), so I just manually flip the lever to place the primer. Still faster than doing it with my fingers. That ceiling fan chain thing doesn't work to automatically reset it. I also use the MultiScale shot/powder bar so I don't have to mess with bushings. I just move it back and forth until I get where I want and tighten the set screw. Same concept that the Dillon powder measures use.

I would love to get a Dillon SL900 with casefeeder for 20ga. I'd load the volume loads on that and save the MEC single stage for buckshot, slugs, and load development.
When you load buckshot do you use the hopper?
Old 10-15-2011, 13:25   #5
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

No, I leave the shot hopper off. With buckshot, I place them into the wad by hand. Anything larger than #6 shot tends to bridge in the press. Buckshot won't meter from the hoppers. Some loads need the petals removed from the wad. For those, I size, reprime, charge with powder, then cut the petals off with a scissors, seat the wad, then remove the hull from the press. I hand count and place the buckshot in the wad, then start the crimp and finish the crimp. Buckshot is a bit of a PITA to load. Some you need to remove wad petals.

For powder I use WSF, Blue Dot, and Longshot. I use WSF for target and field loads, Blue Dot for buckshot, and Longshot for steel.

My target loads and field loads are the same. 7/8oz lead at 2.5 drams in a 2.75" hull. I use #8 for target and settled on #6 for field.

A really great article I think you will enjoy is this:

http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/art...s_article.html

The price doubled since it was first published, but this concept is very interesting. I've been using it for a few years and never had easier kills. If I put the pattern on the bird, it's like the hammer of Thor strikes it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-15-2011, 13:59   #6
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
No, I leave the shot hopper off. With buckshot, I place them into the wad by hand. Anything larger than #6 shot tends to bridge in the press. Buckshot won't meter from the hoppers. Some loads need the petals removed from the wad. For those, I size, reprime, charge with powder, then cut the petals off with a scissors, seat the wad, then remove the hull from the press. I hand count and place the buckshot in the wad, then start the crimp and finish the crimp. Buckshot is a bit of a PITA to load. Some you need to remove wad petals.

For powder I use WSF, Blue Dot, and Longshot. I use WSF for target and field loads, Blue Dot for buckshot, and Longshot for steel.

My target loads and field loads are the same. 7/8oz lead at 2.5 drams in a 2.75" hull. I use #8 for target and settled on #6 for field.

A really great article I think you will enjoy is this:

http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/art...s_article.html

The price doubled since it was first published, but this concept is very interesting. I've been using it for a few years and never had easier kills. If I put the pattern on the bird, it's like the hammer of Thor strikes it.
Thanks for the link. I don't hunt anymore, but it was informative.
Old 10-15-2011, 14:10   #7
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

The same thing can be applied to clays as well. I get where a wide slap is better than a long skinny column. Combine that with a proper choke and you should be breaking 100s in no time.

You just run a shotgun for clays or for 3-gun? I haven't hunted in some years but I've got the fever again.

Old 10-15-2011, 17:15   #8
norton

I just started shooting shotguns again.
Mostly a plinker.
I also enjoy an occasional round of trap.
I used to hunt quail and pheasant here in Indiana.
Old 10-15-2011, 17:47   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Reloading

MEC 9000 H (Hydraulic) 12 gauge.

Reloading

Hydraulic pump mounted on floor under press.

Reloading

MEC 9000 G mounted to the right, 20 gauge.

There's a couple more MEC's under the benches but I'm too lazy to go look and see what they are.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 17:54   #10
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Reloading

MEC 9000 H (Hydraulic) 12 gauge.

Reloading

Hydraulic pump mounted on floor under press.

Reloading

MEC 9000 G mounted to the right, 20 gauge.

There's a couple more MEC's under the benches but I'm too lazy to go look and see what they are.

Jack
Sweet!
Old 10-15-2011, 19:25   #11
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

With the hydraulic operation, do you just set the wad and keep your foot on the pedal?

Old 10-15-2011, 20:21   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

You have to insert the hull and the wad... then keep your hand out of the way before you hit the pedal. It hurts.

About twice as fast as manual, maybe a little more. Certainly less fatiguing.

Jack

Old 10-16-2011, 08:57   #13
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Nice. How many boxes per hour with that setup?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:52   #14
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Freak, I really don't know what it's capable per hour... I know it's a lot faster than I can keep up with.

I've always been more concerned with the physical ease of it than the actual speed. I load 25 then box 'em and just keep repeating it. I can pretty much do that all day long, (with the exception of cigarette breaks), and never get tired or sore.

A buddy of mine used it one time and the hardest part was bringing in 4 bags of shot from his truck and keeping the primers filled.

Jack

Old 10-16-2011, 12:28   #15
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

On the 600JR press, I can load about 8 boxes an hour of target loads using the primer feed tray. For my personal needs that's plenty fast, but there's been more and more demand for shotgun reloads that I'm thinking of going the progressive press route. Less time spent reloading means more time with family.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31   #16
michael e

I use a Lee Load All II, nothing fancey but its been running for about 10 years and was less than a 100 for the set up.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote