Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:35   #1
giant_pita

Governor

I just picked up a Governor after comparing it with the Taurus Judge line. There is quite a bit of discussion as to the actual usefulness of this style of gun, but I have to say it is fun as all git out. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else out there has bought one and what they think. I've only tried a few rounds in it so far, but here are my observations:
Federal .410 000 buck - all 4 pellets in the target (consitantly) at 15 yrds
.45 ACP Win PDX1 JHP 230gr - Dead on where I was aiming at 20 yrds
.45colt Win 255 - Significant rise at 15 yards, as much as 6-8 inches
.45GAP, not yet tried

I picked up a box of Centurian .410 2.5in .400RB shot shells. The box shows 1200 FPS and there is a sticker over the "Approved for handgun" that says "For Shotgun use only" So I am a little hesitant to use them. Any one have input?
Old 10-15-2011, 15:29   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

May get one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 14:12   #3
Dwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant_pita View Post
I just picked up a Governor after comparing it with the Taurus Judge line. There is quite a bit of discussion as to the actual usefulness of this style of gun, but I have to say it is fun as all git out. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else out there has bought one and what they think. I've only tried a few rounds in it so far, but here are my observations:
Federal .410 000 buck - all 4 pellets in the target (consitantly) at 15 yrds
.45 ACP Win PDX1 JHP 230gr - Dead on where I was aiming at 20 yrds
.45colt Win 255 - Significant rise at 15 yards, as much as 6-8 inches
.45GAP, not yet tried

I picked up a box of Centurian .410 2.5in .400RB shot shells. The box shows 1200 FPS and there is a sticker over the "Approved for handgun" that says "For Shotgun use only" So I am a little hesitant to use them. Any one have input?
Yep. Got one.

Smith & Wesson Club
Dwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:16   #4
G33Fla

I have a 2" barrel bobbed hammer Judge, shoots very nice! will do some serious damage when needed
G33Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:40   #5
Stainz

Don't forget the .45 Schofield rounds you have just gathering dust! I got my 'Guv'nah' 6/13 - shot it one time... then substituted a S&W/Hogue .500 Magnum grip, which pads the backstrap:

Smith & Wesson Club

When I got it home that day, I tried S&W's website - they already had a DeSantis-made holster - and I had one within a week:

Smith & Wesson Club

Fun firearm.

Stainz
Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11   #6
outback45

How would you describe the feel of shooting .410 slugs out of this thing? My local range has one that I wanted to try, but they didn't have any shot shells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Fla View Post
I have a 2" barrel bobbed hammer Judge, shoots very nice! will do some serious damage when needed
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42   #7
giant_pita

Quick link sent to me by "Butch" describing the Taurus Poly Judge, but mainly describing how the different rounds acted. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/taur...ew-ballistics/

From what I have experienced, the 000 buck stays together the best, but is limited to less than 15 yards. And by together, I mean on a single man sized target.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38   #8
giant_pita

So I borrowed my Governor to an "expert" shooter, someone who has a lot more natural talent than I do. Here are some of his results on a 25 yd standard American Pistol Target with a 5.5" center black bullseye. All holds are at 6 o'clock unless otherwise noted:
- .45 colt, 255 LSWC at 25yds, 4 inch group, 6 inches above hold
- Fed 00 buck, 25yds, 2 hits outside and on the 6 ring, High left
-.45 ACP Ball, 50ft, all inside the center black
- .45 colt, 255 LSWC, 50 ft, 2inch group about 3.5 inches above hold
- Win PDX1 .410 defender, 7 yards, Disks hit 2" high in a 3" group while the pellets scattered generally high in an 11" pattern
- Fed 00 buck, 7 yards, 4 pellets at poa in about a 4" group
- Win PDX1 .410 defender, 10 yards, 3 disks center of bullseye, 3 inch group, only 8 pellets on the paper (2 ft square paper)
- Win PDX1 .410 Defender, 15 yards, 3 disk hits, centered 7 in high and sightly right with a 6" spread. ONLY 1 pellet on paper!
- Fed 00 buck, 15 yards, 3 pellets at POA, 1 flyer just about off paper
.45 Colt 265 LSWC, 15 yards, 2 inch group, 4" above poa

His results with the .45 colt vs .45 acp were exactly opposite as mine; I found the .45 ACP to be more accurate. BUT he was shooting his own reloads so that may have been the difference.

As far as the PDX1 .410 Defender rounds, I don't think I will be using them for the simple fact that it throws the pellets all over the place and in short order. I found the Federal 000 buck much more consistant and accurate. A 000 BB is .36 inches in diameter and it takes about 6.2 pellets to equal 1 oz of weight. So you could compare one shot with 4 (accurate) shots from a .380.
Old 11-23-2011, 16:42   #9
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Thanks!

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 17:25   #10
giant_pita

So I picked up a box of Centurian Brand .410 Shotshells from Midway USA. When I got them there was a sticker over the "Handgun use" printing that said, "For Rifle Use Only." I couldn't figure out why. My only though was because of the higher advertized FPS (1100 I think) the company thought it was too hot for the handgun, which really didn't make much sense either because of the short barrel. Well I finally got around to shooting them, actually one shotshell, because when I fired it it locked everything up. The brass is not well stamped and deforms when shot. What happened was the shotshell pushed out far enough, then expanded in place to lock up the action. Once I got the action free, I needed a rod to get the shotshell out. So the reasoning why they say only for Rifle use is because you need an extractor to get the shell out of the chamber. Lesson learned.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:19   #11
JFrame

I officially unwrapped my Guv'nor Christmas Day (along with stocking stuffers comprised of two boxes of Sellier & Bellot and a box of Hornady premium .45 ACP ammo ).

Can't wait to try the bloke out...I am heartened by the fact that people that actually OWN the somewhat ungainly-looking creature seem to like it...

--

Last edited by JFrame; 12-27-2011 at 10:31..
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote