humanguerrilla

ACR revamp sheds 1.8 lbs and quick change barrel

goes with magnesium lower and ar grip.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...remington-acr/
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 21:00   #2
crazymoose
Nonentity

This might save the design. I've thought the QC barrel nut was a waste of weight and an unnecessary capability from day one, and it has proven to cause some zero issues, as well. Also, the new lower opens up a lot of ergonomic options.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 22:50   #3
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I rather like the QC barrel function as I could have a 6.8 and 5.56 in the same gun.

Just wish they'd actually gotten the damn gun right. Its been ********* since Magpul gave it to bush-hampster.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:11   #4
crazymoose
Nonentity

I think they could have retained a quick change function with something like the mechanism the SCAR uses. The tool-less setup was what I had a problem with. My feeling is that if you're going to carry an extra barrel, bolt, ammo, and mags, a small torque wrench isn't too cumbersome to also carry.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37   #5
M&P15T
Beard One

Interesting. The article mentioned a carbine-length gas system. Are we to understand this version of the ACR is DI?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Interesting. The article mentioned a carbine-length gas system. Are we to understand this version of the ACR is DI?
One of the photos clearly showed the front end of a piston system. I assume that it's just a shorter gas piston system, and similar or identical length to a DI carbine system.

Am I the only one that finds magnesium as an odd choice for a lower receiver material?
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45   #7
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post

Am I the only one that finds magnesium as an odd choice for a lower receiver material?
No, no you're not...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54   #8
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I rather like the QC barrel function as I could have a 6.8 and 5.56 in the same gun.

Just wish they'd actually gotten the damn gun right. Its been ********* since Magpul gave it to bush-hampster.
Having been in on the project I can tell you that your information is skewed.. The Magpul offering was not ready for mass production AT ALL.. And quite a bit of effort and testing went into the Bushmaster ACR to make it a viable platform.. If Magpul could have pulled it off they would have.. there is a reason they took the money and ran.

ACR marketed to civilian gun owners Quick change barrel and other stuff..marketing for stuff consumers want..
Mailitary version has no need for Quick change and for once they listened to the professional they have been consulting with.

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 10-18-2011 at 10:00..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57   #9
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
One of the photos clearly showed the front end of a piston system. I assume that it's just a shorter gas piston system, and similar or identical length to a DI carbine system.

At roughly 2/3rds the weight and very competritive in cost why not...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02   #10
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

Any price change too?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32   #11
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
Having been in on the project I can tell you that your information is skewed.. The Magpul offering was not ready for mass production AT ALL.. And quite a bit of effort and testing went into the Bushmaster ACR to make it a viable platform.. If Magpul could have pulled it off they would have.. there is a reason they took the money and ran.

ACR marketed to civilian gun owners Quick change barrel and other stuff..marketing for stuff consumers want..
Mailitary version has no need for Quick change and for once they listened to the professional they have been consulting with.

Honestly, the military has no need for an ACR, so thats a dog that doesn't hunt. This gun was never anything more than a cool looking rifle for civilian shooters and possibly at best, some police. It was never, and will never be a contender for military service.

However, I never said that the product was ready when magpul had it, but bush-hampster ****** it up before they released it by making several stupid choices in the way they set it up before they released it, and the result was the almost across the board flop that it was.

And Crazy, I agree, I just wish they'd stuck with something short of changing out whole uppers.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-18-2011, 13:18   #12
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Trust me, dealing with corporate types who think they know what you need/want is infuriating.
The Masada as an original concept was a very good idea.

And I disagree that a new more effective rifle is not needed, a true intermediate caliber along the lines of a 6.8 or 7mm short could be a very viable alternative for what is issued now, sadly, the way procurment trials are run and the amount of people that have their hands in the pie makes the water very murky for "improved" weapons.
Old 10-18-2011, 13:25   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Oh dude, I'm not saying a new IMC carbine or rifle wouldn't be the cats ass, but the Army isn't going that way, atleast not right now. And when they do, they won't even offer a sideways glance at the ACR, not that its right or doesn't deserve a shot, but because the winner is already per-ordained.

If we do get a new rifle, it will be the SCAR-L. The writing is on the wall. It did far too well with the Rangers and SF/AWG.

Old 10-18-2011, 13:53   #14
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Oh dude, I'm not saying a new IMC carbine or rifle wouldn't be the cats ass, but the Army isn't going that way, atleast not right now. And when they do, they won't even offer a sideways glance at the ACR, not that its right or doesn't deserve a shot, but because the winner is already per-ordained.

If we do get a new rifle, it will be the SCAR-L. The writing is on the wall. It did far too well with the Rangers and SF/AWG.
They(SCAR )are very nice I have an enhanced ACR for my efforts with a few tweaks and a teamate has a SCAR, They both shoot about the same with the SCAR getting the nod for lightweight ergonomics is split for me I dont like thae SCAR reciprocating handle,,, but I have ordered two Heavy SCAR for special use.

The remmingtion with a short tube in 6.8 is a real deal bang stick....
Old 10-18-2011, 15:00   #15
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

I have absolutely no doubts. I would love a factory SBR 6.8 ACR. I'd be on that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Old 10-20-2011, 13:50   #16
M&P15T
Beard One

I'm getting the impression that version may not be made available (with a 16" barrel) for us civies.
Old 10-20-2011, 18:06   #17
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I'm getting the impression that version may not be made available (with a 16" barrel) for us civies.
I can tell you that I am 99.99999 percent sure you will never be able to purchase the Remmington version.........................legally.
Old 10-20-2011, 18:15   #18
KalashniKEV

I handled the rifle in the pics. It wasn't really that amazing.

WHY the one sided selector??
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
I handled the rifle in the pics. It wasn't really that amazing.

WHY the one sided selector??
There were problems with the original selector's dual sided nature. When manipulating it on one side with one's dominant hand's thumb, the other side would hit the shooter's hand above their index finger.

I'm willing to bet the selector is easy to change from one side to the other, giving it an ambidextrous nature, without that particular issue.

Since you got to paw at it, was it a short-barreled version? It looks like it in the pictures.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19   #20
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
I can tell you that I am 99.99999 percent sure you will never be able to purchase the Remmington version.........................legally.

The better question upon reflection, is will Bushmaster adopt some of those positive changes in their version? I handled an enhanced ACR, and that sucker was heavy!! This Remmington version is the one that should be offered to us poor civilian folks.

Of course the price is the real deal-breaker.