SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2011, 19:23   #1
sig357fan

New way to size 357 Sig brass?

Hey all,

Gonna start reloading 40 S&W so I was looking at the different die sets on line and came across the Lee Bulge Buster.

I don’t think this will be a concern for me as I’ll be using a Storm Lake 40 S&W barrel in my G31 but it got me thinking if this could be used to size the body of 357 Sig brass.

I currently use a Lee 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of my 357 Sig brass, then run it through the steel sizing die in the 357 Sig die set to size the case mouth, I don’t use any lube and haven’t ever had a stuck case in a couple thousand reloads.

To do this, I’d just get the 40 S&W FCD and use the push rod from a Lee 9mm bullet sizing set I have or just make a push rod.

What ya all think?

sig357fan

Last edited by sig357fan; 10-20-2011 at 19:23..
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 21:56   #2
PCJim

You don't need a 9mm pushrod to reload 40S&W if you already have the carbide resizing die. Personally, I would not get the Lee FCD but instead would get a bullet seating die. You're already half way there with the resizing die.

Depending upon your reloading equipment, you may or may not need Lee's powder thru/flaring die.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig357fan View Post
Hey all,

Gonna start reloading 40 S&W so I was looking at the different die sets on line and came across the Lee Bulge Buster.

I donít think this will be a concern for me as Iíll be using a Storm Lake 40 S&W barrel in my G31 but it got me thinking if this could be used to size the body of 357 Sig brass.

I currently use a Lee 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of my 357 Sig brass, then run it through the steel sizing die in the 357 Sig die set to size the case mouth, I donít use any lube and havenít ever had a stuck case in a couple thousand reloads.

To do this, Iíd just get the 40 S&W FCD and use the push rod from a Lee 9mm bullet sizing set I have or just make a push rod.

What ya all think?

sig357fan

What are you trying to do? If you want to LOAD .40 ammo then you need to size it with a real sizing die (not a FCD). FCD does not size as small as a real sizer so it's not going to have good bullet tension if you only use a FCD. If all you want is a push through die then the FCD works fine as that. But you still need to load it just like any other brass when your done. So I guess I don't know what your trying to accomplish.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38   #4
Three-Five-Seven
SeŮor Mombo

Glock 357 sig barrel is fully supported. I really don't understand the need for this procedure (or post, for that matter). I've reloaded a lot of 357 sig and never had the need to bust any bulges in any previously fired brass -- mine, or others.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:44   #5
fredj338

I have seen the occasional bulged brass from range pickups, but std Dillon sizer has wokred well for me in several bbls. You certainly could use the bulge buster from Redding or Lee & then size in a steel 357sig die. You should still lube the cases in the bulge buster.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52   #6
MrVvrroomm

I run all my .357sig brass through my Redding carbide GRX die, then size and decap with steel .357sig die.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 13:36   #7
PCJim

Maybe I missed the OP's question. I thought he already had a 40S&W die and was using it to resize his 357Sig cases. He now wants to reload 40S&W and thinks he can get by with adding a FCD? Maybe I'm confused?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 16:13   #8
Colorado4Wheel

I know I am.
Old 10-21-2011, 16:36   #9
sig357fan

Quote:
........got me thinking if this could be used to size the body of 357 Sig brass.

I currently use a Lee 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of my 357 Sig brass......
not doing anything to 40 S&W brass, not removing a bulge from any brass, I want to size the body of 357 Sig brass by passing it through a 40 S&W FCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
I run all my .357sig brass through my Redding carbide GRX die, then size and decap with steel .357sig die.
MrVvrroomm,

sounds like you are doing what I'm talking about but using the Redding carbide GRX die as I would use the FCD.

are you doing anything else to your 357 Sig brass? using any lube either with the GRX die or the steel 357 Sig die?

just pass the Sig brass through the GRX die and load as you would any other round?

sig357fan
Old 10-21-2011, 16:51   #10
Colorado4Wheel

You can use the FCD, just like the GRX die. Then load as normal. In addition to that, on the Sig it needs to be necked sized and the shoulder bumped back, so you have bullet tension and fits the barrel. On the .40 you need to size with a normal sizer so you have neck tension on the bullet.
Old 10-21-2011, 18:59   #11
sig357fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
You can use the FCD, just like the GRX die. Then load as normal. In addition to that, on the Sig it needs to be necked sized and the shoulder bumped back, so you have bullet tension and fits the barrel. On the .40 you need to size with a normal sizer so you have neck tension on the bullet.
yes, C4W I currently use the 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of 357 Sig brass, then use the steel 357 Sig die to to size the neck and bump the sholder back.

what I was asking is if I could replace the 40 S&W carbide sizing die with the 40 S&W FCD to size the body of 357 Sig brass and then use the steel 357 Sig die to to size the neck and bump the sholder back.

when I reload 40 S&W I'll use the 3 die set that I got so I would have a 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of 357 Sig brass

the original post was to ask if I could use the FCD to size the body of 357 Sig brass and nothing about actually reloading 40 S&W, the 40 S&W was just mentioned because I was looking at 40 S&W reloading dies on line and came across the Bulge Buster.

MrVvrroomm posted that he does something simular with the Redding GRX die and if he responds to the questions I asked in my last post, I'll give it a try.

sig357fan
Old 10-21-2011, 19:07   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
what I was asking is if I could replace the 40 S&W carbide sizing die with the 40 S&W FCD to size the body of 357 Sig brass and then use the steel 357 Sig die to to size the neck and bump the sholder back.

sig357fan
Of course you can. You may need to use lube. I am guessing that is your question. The FCD is about .007" bigger then the standard sizers. So your Lee Steel Sizer will still be doing a decent amount of sizing when it hits it a second time.
Old 10-21-2011, 21:04   #13
sig357fan

Quote:
Of course you can. You may need to use lube. I am guessing that is your question. The FCD is about .007" bigger then the standard sizers. So your Lee Steel Sizer will still be doing a decent amount of sizing when it hits it a second time.
Thank You C4W, I was beginning to wonder if anyone understood what I was asking.

and also, your response about the carbide ring in the sizing die and the FCD being of different diameter causes me to think this may not work the way I‘d like it to.

I’ll probably get a FCD to use with my 3 die set when loading 40 S&W, I'll still give it a try though.

and yes, I know how you feel about the FCD, but I do like doing bullet seating and crimping in separate stations and well I got a 4th hole in my turret so I gotta put something in there, don’t I???

Thanks again for the info.

sig357fan

Last edited by sig357fan; 10-21-2011 at 21:06..
Old 10-21-2011, 21:12   #14
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
are you doing anything else to your 357 Sig brass? using any lube either with the GRX die or the steel 357 Sig die?

just pass the Sig brass through the GRX die and load as you would any other round?
Yup, all sig brass goes through carbide GRX die, no lube. Then size/decap as any other cartridge in station 1 of my LNL AP.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 21:19   #15
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Thank You C4W, I was beginning to wonder if anyone understood what I was asking.

and also, your response about the carbide ring in the sizing die and the FCD being of different diameter causes me to think this may not work the way IĎd like it to.

Iíll probably get a FCD to use with my 3 die set when loading 40 S&W, I'll still give it a try though.

and yes, I know how you feel about the FCD, but I do like doing bullet seating and crimping in separate stations and well I got a 4th hole in my turret so I gotta put something in there, donít I???

Thanks again for the info.

sig357fan
I think your making a really hard job of it. Why all this talk about push through sizing? What problem are you trying to solve. Is it real or are you just worried about something?

If you like the idea of a push through die use the FCD as a push through die. Then seat and crimp at the same time or use the .357 Sig FCD if you have one and use it in the last station. It won't size the bullet because it's a unique design.
Old 10-22-2011, 15:43   #16
sig357fan

Quote:
I think your making a really hard job of it. Why all this talk about push through sizing? What problem are you trying to solve. Is it real or are you just worried about something?

If you like the idea of a push through die use the FCD as a push through die. Then seat and crimp at the same time or use the .357 Sig FCD if you have one and use it in the last station. It won't size the bullet because it's a unique design.

not trying to solve any problem, real or imagined, just thinking it might be easier than what I do now, just push the brass through the FCD rather than sliding brass in and out of the shell holder when resizing.

sig357fan