SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:40   #1
ghstface38
Five-O

Performance based bonus checks

The municipality I work for is attempting to meet all the requirements to receive the Baldridge Award. I don't know much other than it's a management style considered to be the best currently utilized. That being said our city administrator is attempting to implement some new policies into the PD and city.

His most recent idea was a performance based bonus check of $500.00. The chosen few were selected based on their IEDP's and evaluations. These 2 documents are filled out by your immediate supervisor and put in your file. As far as we know these documents were pulled and if you rated very-good or superior your name was placed into a dossier and from that file certain people were selected to receive a $500.00 bonus check.

This has done nothing more than cause a rift in our department. Of course we had people to receive it that we feel did not deserve it as well as people we feel deserve it who did not. A real morale killer. We also feel that because the same IEDP's and evaluations that are used city-wide that are used for LEO's that we did not get a fair shot because police work isn't really something that can be compared to parks and rec, sanitation, etc...

I did not receive one and it really killed my pro-activity for a day or so. It took me awhile to decide that I was not going to let a decision effect who I am as a LEO and that it would not effect my work ethic. Newly married with a baby on the way that $500.00 sure would have helped though.

That's all, I just felt like typing it out somewhere. If you read this far I appreciate you taking the time.
Sam Spade: [5] If you're a cop, you really do act politely and have a plan to kill everyone. Gacy really did look like a clown. McVeigh was a pretty clean-cut kid. You're hunting bad people, and sooner or later you're going to find them. Sadly, they look nothing like the villians on TV, and there's no creepy music as a clue. Plan for it, and watch the hands.
ghstface38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:58   #2
CAcop

So much potential for abuse. I can see very bad things happening.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:40   #3
Naelbis

Ranks right up there with non-competative promotions as moral killers...it is just a bad management practice. I would imagine that it will become just another way to reward cronyism.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:47   #4
ghstface38
Five-O

I'd like to add that not everyone who ranked highly was chosen. I received the life saving award as well as several commendations and I apparently did not do well enough to get a bonus.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sam Spade: [5] If you're a cop, you really do act politely and have a plan to kill everyone. Gacy really did look like a clown. McVeigh was a pretty clean-cut kid. You're hunting bad people, and sooner or later you're going to find them. Sadly, they look nothing like the villians on TV, and there's no creepy music as a clue. Plan for it, and watch the hands.
ghstface38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56   #5
lwt210

No way that would work here. Too much abuse.

Rumor has it there used to be "burglar days" here before I started. If you caught a burglar, robbery suspect, murder suspect (fresh stuff or in progress only), your sergeant would give you a day off with pay. Apparently, it was kept on the shift level and wasn't an official kind of thing.

That kind of stuff was a big morale boost and was a real good motivator to get out there and catch the felons.
Old 10-22-2011, 13:42   #6
blueiron

A number of 'real' Sergeants got together and used their city credit cards to buy soft drinks, snacks, or up to lunch once a week for the most criminal/traffic calls worked, most DUI arrests, most expired plates, highest class felony arrest, most bizarre call, etc. There was a little ceremony during briefing for the winners.

It worked well until the city pencil pushers began questioning the expenditures of up to about $15 a week per supervisor. Morale went back down after the unofficial program was ordered stopped. No one was ever able to stop the catered staff meeting lunches, but the they were scaled down after the citizens found out what happened from some 'little birds' telling them.

The chief got ticked off and forbade any supervisor from buying lunch or drinks for any police employee during an extended critical incident. Where we once got sports drinks during the Arizona summers while working a barricade situation or a multi-fatality traffic incident, we got nothing. Little wonder when he was fired, not one patrol guy would shake his hand on the way out - he was indignant about it too.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 14:52   #7
CW Mock

"Pay for Performance" is the name of the biggest incidents of theft from state employees - Troopers at least ever perpetrated on us. We used to get step raises until PFP came along ... Then they decided not to fund it. Convenient ... a handy way to make sure there have been no raises in years, OR any pay for performance. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Fight going to it. You'll be better off with a uniform pay scale, and it eliminates the drama you already had.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 15:49   #8
Knute
"Nothin"

We had pay for performance instituted at our agency as well. You can get an extra $500 if you get rated "that high." Of course, this has be approved by our City Manager so even that is total crap. However, even the experts in management say this is NOT the correct method of evaluation for our type of job. This performance management at best destroys teamwork and there is no clear-cut method of evaluating "what makes the best officer." Is it the number of tickets issued, reports taken, or arrests made? How can you adequately compare day shift to night shift? How do you evaluate someone who is proactively workint their beat and because of their efforts fewer crimes occur? This is generally passed off as a decline in stats and therefore must be some "other" reason for it. It's total crap.
Knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 17:05   #9
dorkweed

And you LEO types always profess that there's no "quota system"!!!!!! What are us "subjects" to think now??!!!

Equal Opportunity Bigot
dorkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 17:13   #10
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
And you LEO types always profess that there's no "quota system"!!!!!! What are us "subjects" to think now??!!!
Why don't you take your attitude elsewhere. Giving an appreciation for good work is the same in police work as it is in any other job field, if you can't understand that I would suggest you go elsewhere.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 17:16   #11
steveksux
Massive Member

I call BS.

You mean to tell me that management plays favorites with who gets the bonus checks? I have a real hard time believing that...

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 17:58   #12
dorkweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Why don't you take your attitude elsewhere. Giving an appreciation for good work is the same in police work as it is in any other job field, if you can't understand that I would suggest you go elsewhere.

I expected this type of response..........although I would've expected more responses.

It's real easy for municipalities to, "off the record", tell coppers to write more tickets to ease the budget shortfalls most are seeing now...............but what is that doing in essence????? I'll answer that for you............rather than have regular patrol cops "CONCENTRATE" on REAL crime they look for easy avenues of "REVENUE ENHANCEMENT" via the undocumented, never-existent quota!!!!!!

OK, so it's not a quota..............but if any of y'all say that you're not "highly motivated" or "highly encouraged" to write as many tickets as possible, I'll call BS right here and now. How does that "fight crime"????

Granted, many criminals are idiots and violate the "rules of the road" regularly..........but to "tax the many, to benefit the few" is not the way to go about things IMHO!!!!

Equal Opportunity Bigot
Old 10-22-2011, 18:09   #13
fran m

My dept, (well the commissioners) are talking about taking middle mangagement longevity pay away to save money. This is both for police and other depts (trash, highway, etc) It is thousands of dollars per man and this town is not hurting. Way to back up your managers.

A vocal few commissioners back merit pay for officers. Like already posted in this thread, it is not easy to gauge.

The Sergeants admit the the employee development evaluations are a joke.

And the same commissioners say our heath insurance, vacation time and retirement benefits are too generous and need to be drastically scaled back. They must forget that they negotiated these items and signed off on them.

Last edited by fran m; 10-22-2011 at 18:11..
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 18:36   #14
dorkweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran m View Post
My dept, (well the commissioners) are talking about taking middle mangagement longevity pay away to save money. This is both for police and other depts (trash, highway, etc) It is thousands of dollars per man and this town is not hurting. Way to back up your managers.

A vocal few commissioners back merit pay for officers. Like already posted in this thread, it is not easy to gauge.

The Sergeants admit the the employee development evaluations are a joke.

And the same commissioners say our heath insurance, vacation time and retirement benefits are too generous and need to be drastically scaled back. They must forget that they negotiated these items and signed off on them.

So, in essence, what you're saying is that they're getting rid of the "no value added management" types!!! That's a good thing IMHO as far a taxing the "working class" goes!!!!

Equal Opportunity Bigot
Old 10-22-2011, 18:52   #15
Vigilant

Quote:
Let me get this straight: You have a problem with coppers being rewarded for answering the most calls, catching the most bad guys, working the most wrecks, getting the most drunks off the road, etc? If you are ever the victim of a serious crime, my guess is that you will scream bloody murder that if the coppers were doing their job, poor widdle you would not have been a victim.

At least your alias fits you.
Old 10-22-2011, 18:58   #16
dorkweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Let me get this straight: You have a problem with coppers being rewarded for answering the most calls, catching the most bad guys, working the most wrecks, getting the most drunks off the road, etc? If you are ever the victim of a serious crime, my guess is that you will scream bloody murder that if the coppers were doing their job, poor widdle you would not have been a victim.

At least your alias fits you.

No. That's not what I said at all!!!!

Typical response here!!

Equal Opportunity Bigot
Old 10-22-2011, 19:01   #17
Vigilant

Quote:
No. That's not what I said at all!!!!

Typical response here!!
Typical troll.
Old 10-22-2011, 19:03   #18
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
I expected this type of response..........although I would've expected more responses.
I doubt it, because you have been blocked by so many here.

Quote:
It's real easy for municipalities to, "off the record", tell coppers to write more tickets to ease the budget shortfalls most are seeing now...............but what is that doing in essence????? I'll answer that for you............rather than have regular patrol cops "CONCENTRATE" on REAL crime they look for easy avenues of "REVENUE ENHANCEMENT" via the undocumented, never-existent quota!!!!!!

OK, so it's not a quota..............but if any of y'all say that you're not "highly motivated" or "highly encouraged" to write as many tickets as possible, I'll call BS right here and now. How does that "fight crime"????
How do you prevent scofflaws from recklessly speeding by your house, ensure motorists have insurance, are sober...

The answer to all is traffic enforcement. As far as solving a budget shortfall, increasing the number of cites written won't have a significant impact. It will probably shock you to find out that municipalities only get a tiny part of the fine, at least in Ohio. Most of it goes to running the Court and Clerk's office, and then several other state funds such as the victim's of violent crime fund. The final $20 to $30 goes to the municipalities general fund.

Since budgets have to be created before the fiscal period, revenue from citations cannot be counted on.

So, in dorkweed world, how does a dorkweed measure oficer performance? I counter your cry of BS with my agency wouldn't care if I made a single stop per year.

I however, make many. Unless the violator doesn't have proof of insurance, is DUS, drunk, has a warrant, or did something exceptionally stupid, they will probably be let go with a warning. If nothing else then to take up the time between taking calls for service, doing follow up. I figure it is part of my work ethic in providing an honest day of work to my employer.

Quote:
Granted, many criminals are idiots and violate the "rules of the road" regularly..........but to "tax the many, to benefit the few" is not the way to go about things IMHO!!!!
This statement doesn't make any sense whatsoever since the police agency doesn't get any revenue from a citation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 19:11   #19
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

ghstface38,

I think there is way to much potential for abuse. Unless every qualified person can be involved, then it won't work, period.

Many agencies have an officer of the month reward system. My agency tried this last year, but only made it about ten months. This is because it was essentially turned into the snitch of the month, with little to do with any measurable performance.

Unless these things can be hammered out, I don't see it being beneficial to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 19:11   #20
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
We are to think you should go fornicate yourself.