Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2011, 19:36   #1
ADK_40GLKr

g27 after small caliber practice

I fired some 165 gr Gold Dot JHP through my G27 after practicing all week with my .22. I think she was jealous after being ignored all week because she kicked like a mule. Never seemed to recoil so hard before.

Assuming it was 10% ammo& 90% me, I need to do something to prepare for shooting .40 after getting used to .22.

Lots of shooting with the .22 has really helped in terms of grip, stance, accuracy, etc. But has temporarily (I hope) spoiled me for shooting my .40.

what methods to you guys use to prepare mentally for a heavier caliber after training with a lighter one?
?
Old 10-22-2011, 19:44   #2
ThinkMud

I never shoot anything less then what I carry. Maybe just spend a few days in a row with the .40

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:35   #3
ADK_40GLKr

Took the M22 & G27 up to the range yesterday and tested out some Hi- & Hyper- Velocity rounds in the .22.... Then a magazine of USB 180 gr FMJ in the Glock.

My earlier problem with the .40 was gone, I think because the USB stuff was so much weaker than the Gold Dots I'd fired in it the last time.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51   #4
ThinkMud

Just keep shooting it until it's second nature When I first got my g27, I took to the range a few times a week in the first few weeks and probably shot over 700-1000 rounds through it in a short amount of time! And in that time I did NOT shoot any other guns, period. I got very used to it fast and even after switching guns now, it's still feels like "home" to me.

When I hit the range now... I shoot off whatever my carry ammo is in the mag in the 27... then a few other mags in it... then I'll shoot whatever other guns I brought, but always before I leave I run a few more mags through the 27 just so it's the last one I shoot, always.

I do the above for any gun I carry, If i switch to something later, i'll do the same to it. I make sure that I am more comfortable and more proficient with my carry gun than any other gun I own. I also dry fired it daily at least 50 to 100 times for the first few weeks I had it as well, but that was mainly b/c I was new to glocks then and wanted to get the trigger learned(if that makes sense)...

Just keep shooting it and you will get better at switching back and forth.

Practice, Practice, Practice

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:04   #5
FLSlim

I never just shoot a 22 pistol at the range. My usual practice is 30-50 rounds in 22 and the rest of my time is 100 or more rounds with one or more center fire pistols, at least one being a carry weapon.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22   #6
dustbusterplus

When I go to the range. I always start with a mag or two in my G27 and then move onto the S&W 422 for some .22 practice and then finish the range session with my G27 again firing about 100 rounds through it.