Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2011, 14:17   #1
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

9mm nylon jacketed ammo?

While shopping for ammo at Cabela's today, I found:

Caliber Corner

Cabela's branded Herters (mfg by Blazer). 115gr, 9mm, total nylon jacketed ammo.

Caliber Corner

Has anyone here used this ammo yet? I've never seen it before. It might just be in my head, but the round felt really light. The nylon jacket had some give to it when I pressed into it with my nail.

The price was $10.47 per box of 50rds.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 14:30   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

This is a new product designed strictly for Cabelas. It also comes in 40S&W and 45ACP.

Basically it is similar to the older S&W and Federal brand "Nyclad" nylon coated handgun ammo. The thin layer of nylon will help keep the levels of airborne lead particles down while shooting at indoor ranges.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 15:36   #3
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
This is a new product designed strictly for Cabelas. It also comes in 40S&W and 45ACP.

Basically it is similar to the older S&W and Federal brand "Nyclad" nylon coated handgun ammo. The thin layer of nylon will help keep the levels of airborne lead particles down while shooting at indoor ranges.
Thanks for the info!
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 16:36   #4
miversen30

not the proper fourm!!

Last edited by true believer; 10-24-2011 at 18:54..
miversen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 16:52   #5
tcruse

Shot several boxes in gen 3 Glock 26 and gen 4 Glock 17. No problems. Clean and reliable. 9mm on sale foe 10.45 at fw store.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12   #6
kmrcstintn

Quote:
not the proper fourm!!
why isn't this the proper forum?!? it is an ammo question in an ammo forum; I am glad the question was asked...these nylon clad loads look interesting and I would like to get some; if I didn't read it here I would not have known to order it from Cabela's; thanks
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20   #7
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Just a side note folks, Herters TNJ ammo comes in 40 S&W and 45ACP too.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 13:18   #8
NavyMSU

Better check your range policies. Some ranges with a stick up their butts won't allow aluminum or steel cases because they can't resell them to reloaders and don't want to have to sort them out manually...

Otherwise, at $20 for 50 in .45, it's not a great deal, would think it would be cheaper due to copper/brass getting expensive.

I guess the only advantage is for people with money to spare so they can shoot more cleanly and save themselves time cleaning their guns at the end of the day.
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 20:29   #9
tcruse

Cabelas web page now lists the 9mm for 9.95 reg price. I would think that indoor ranges would especially like these for the lower lead exposure and for cleaner rental guns. I am not sure about which ranges sell their brass, one of the indoor ranges that I go to explicitly say that they will not ever sell any brass, all of theirs is sent to scrap metal dealer, dur to potential liability issues.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 23:54   #10
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
why isn't this the proper forum?!? it is an ammo question in an ammo forum; I am glad the question was asked...these nylon clad loads look interesting and I would like to get some; if I didn't read it here I would not have known to order it from Cabela's; thanks
SO the guy has 7 posts & is now the internet police? Not to mention any ammo question is good to go in the caliber forum.]
When Federal made the Nyclad, the 9mm was one of it's better performers.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 11-14-2011 at 23:55..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02   #11
miversen30

I have a left over box of Federal Nyclad 124g HP. If any is interested send me a PM.

Mike I
miversen30 is offline   Reply With Quote