Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07   #1
F106 Fan

Titegroup Powder

The other day I ran across a load on this forum for 9mm: 3.2 gr Titegroup, Montana Gold 147 gr CMJ and 1.15 OAL.

Sounds good to me as this appears to meet the IDPA minimum power factor of 125. Initially, I will be shooting an XD 9 with a 4" barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to add 0.1 gr or so to actually get the velocity. If I decide to compete regularly, I will probably try to get in the SSP class with a G34 that I would buy for the purpose.

I understand the reason for heavy bullet/low velocity.

My LGS doesn't stock Titegroup so I'll have to order it and pay the hazmat fee. It doesn't make sense to buy just a 1# can for $25 and then pay $25 for the fee. I starts to make more sense buying 4# or even 8#. But an 8# canister will load about 17,500 rounds. Kind of a lot. The 4# would be more reasonable at 8,750 rounds. Still, that's a lot of powder if the load doesn't work out.

The question: is there any consensus that this is a reasonable load for IDPA? I know that WSF is popular but the pressure is much higher for the same velocity. I guess I could add some WSF to the order and share the fee.

Any thoughts?

Richard
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26   #2
mknpwr

Can't help you on the load data but can your LGS order it for you? That would save the HAZMAT fee.
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51   #3
PCJim

Find some other local reloaders (inquire at your local range) and place a group order/buy?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:53   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The question: is there any consensus that this is a reasonable load for IDPA? I know that WSF is popular but the pressure is much higher for the same velocity. I guess I could add some WSF to the order and share the fee.

Any thoughts?

Richard
I am not buying the pressure readings in the Hodgdon data. While powders do change burn rate in diff calibers & bulelt choices, I am not buying that TG hits the pressure wall before WSF. It's just not been my exp. You are right though, buying 4# of powder to save some $$ & then hate it is not saving money. There must be a local shop someplace around you that carries TG. It's quite popular for some reason I haven't figured out yet, but popular still.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 13:51   #5
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I am not buying the pressure readings in the Hodgdon data. While powders do change burn rate in diff calibers & bulelt choices, I am not buying that TG hits the pressure wall before WSF. It's just not been my exp. You are right though, buying 4# of powder to save some $$ & then hate it is not saving money. There must be a local shop someplace around you that carries TG. It's quite popular for some reason I haven't figured out yet, but popular still.
My bad! I didn't notice that Titegroup has the pressure in CUP and WSF has the pressue in PSI. I should have thought about the "Maximun Loads" as being a maximum regardless of the units. Duh!

There may be gun shops in Sacramento that carry the powder but the cost of driving there will start to eat into the savings over the Hazmat fee.

So, you're preferring WSF over Titegroup? I don't really care which I buy and buying a can of both is certainly workable.

Richard
Old 10-24-2011, 13:51   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

Buy 4# of the TG and 4# of the WSF. Try them both and use them both up.

I'm using TG right now. Per the IDPA Nationals Survey, it's the most popular powder used there. Some don't care for it because of the increased risk of a double charge... but as long as your careful, it works pretty good.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 14:55   #7
F106 Fan

Buying both powders isn't such a bad idea. I see that both can be used for 40 S&W as well as 45 ACP. I don't currently load 40 S&W but I do load a bunch of 45 ACP.

I use 700-X for 45 ACP. The short story is that I used to shoot a LOT of 12 gauge shotgun and it seemed reasonable to use the same powder.

I don't know that either WSF or Titegroup is a preferred powder for 40 S&W or 45 ACP but at least it is a way to use up the powder if I don't like it in 9mm.

Richard
Old 10-24-2011, 15:31   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Buy 4# of the TG and 4# of the WSF. Try them both and use them both up.

I'm using TG right now. Per the IDPA Nationals Survey, it's the most popular powder used there. Some don't care for it because of the increased risk of a double charge... but as long as your careful, it works pretty good.
For minor loads, no doubt. TG has no place in trying to make major IMO, regardless of caliber. Then again, I am a TG hater.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-24-2011 at 15:31..
Old 10-24-2011, 15:36   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

I don't see what TG does that other fast powders don't. I use the original TG, Bullseye. I don't shoot IDPA, so I don't have to use the same powder everyone else does to come in 12th place.

I would just locate TG on the burn rate chart and pick a powder close to it that your local store doe have. The start load of any fast powder should be good enough for IDPA. You can get 850fps with AA#2, Bullseye, Red Dot, or TG and you'd never know the difference.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 16:12   #10
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

I'm using TG currently, but it's the only powder I've ever used. Been reloading for just a couple months. I've had no issues with it, but I'm only doing 3.6gr starter loads with 124gr 9mm.

I've almost finished shooting my 500rds of Berry's plated. Almost time for more 9mm, but I think I'll start doing .45ACP next. I'm going Precision Delta for my next 9 and 45 bullet purchase.
Old 10-24-2011, 17:17   #11
shotgunred
reloading nut

Its 11th place whiskey not 12.

A little tightgroup goes a long ways. Buying 8 pounds would be a several year supply. Especially if you are using it only for its intended purpose. Light 9mm and 40 sw IDPA loads.

Look at a different store. Not all stores carry the same stuff.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 18:23   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post

A little tightgroup goes a long ways. Buying 8 pounds would be a several year supply. Especially if you are using it only for its intended purpose. Light 9mm and 40 sw IDPA loads.

You would have come in 10th if you used 3.8 Bullseye. 3.7 is only good for 13th.

BTW, Red Dot is VERY bulky. I haven't used any of it yet, but 3.whatever may very well fill more than half of a 9mm case.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 18:25   #13
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post

For me 8 pounds is only 16,000 rds. Not even a years worth.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-24-2011, 21:48   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I don't see what TG does that other fast powders don't. I use the original TG, Bullseye. I don't shoot IDPA, so I don't have to use the same powder everyone else does to come in 12th place.

I have no issue with using Bullseye. I am currently using at 4.5 gr for the 115 gr bullet. I don't have chrono data just yet but it MIGHT get to 125 PF.

I don't think I have found a published load using Bullseye and the 147 gr bullet. I'll look again tomorrow. Between Hornady, Sierra, Speer and Lyman, you would think my books would have the load. Alliant deosn't show a load either.

Richard
Old 10-24-2011, 22:10   #15
tac_driver

Quote:
I have no issue with using Bullseye. I am currently using at 4.5 gr for the 115 gr bullet. I don't have chrono data just yet but it MIGHT get to 125 PF.

I don't think I have found a published load using Bullseye and the 147 gr bullet. I'll look again tomorrow. Between Hornady, Sierra, Speer and Lyman, you would think my books would have the load. Alliant deosn't show a load either.

Richard
bullseye 3.5 bullet berry's 147gr PRN Brass Win COL 1.15 Avg Vel 908.5 PF 133
2" groups at 15yds Glock19
tac_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 22:32   #16
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
You would have come in 10th if you used 3.8 Bullseye. 3.7 is only good for 13th.

BTW, Red Dot is VERY bulky. I haven't used any of it yet, but 3.whatever may very well fill more than half of a 9mm case.
Red Dot was my choice for light 45colt loads shooting CAS. It is quite bulky & pretty accurate w/ lead bullets. It runs well in the 45acp @ any sane vel/pressure level.

Last edited by fredj338; 10-24-2011 at 22:32..
Old 10-25-2011, 08:11   #17
RowdyOne
Constant Lurker

I use 3.3-3.4 gr of TG with a 147 Berry's at 1.15 out of my Glock 34 for IDPA/Production. Gives me a 135PF. At that charge it fills just about half of the 9mm case. A double will fill it up, but not spill over.

Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting back up!

Nobody notices what I do, until I don't do it.
RowdyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:34   #18
F106 Fan

Thanks for all the advice.

I have ordered some Titegroup and WSF plus I have Bullseye on hand. I have also ordered some Berry's 147 gr RN bullets. I haven't used plated bullets but I haven't used Titegroup/WSF either. I guess it will be a grand experiment.

When I was looking for powder at my LGS, I noticed that they had a G34 in stock. It was looking so forlorn; just sitting there, waiting for someone to give it a good home. They also had a G35; maybe there is a good reason to shoot 40 S&W in SSP.

Weather permitting, the local IDPA group has their monthly clinic the first Saturday of each month with matches on the first Sunday. I think I'll stop by and check it out.

Richard
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49   #19
unclebob

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

I have ordered some Titegroup and WSF plus I have Bullseye on hand. I have also ordered some Berry's 147 gr RN bullets. I haven't used plated bullets but I haven't used Titegroup/WSF either. I guess it will be a grand experiment.

When I was looking for powder at my LGS, I noticed that they had a G34 in stock. It was looking so forlorn; just sitting there, waiting for someone to give it a good home. They also had a G35; maybe there is a good reason to shoot 40 S&W in SSP.

Weather permitting, the local IDPA group has their monthly clinic the first Saturday of each month with matches on the first Sunday. I think I'll stop by and check it out.

Richard

I have never shot IDPA. But have thought about trying my hand at it. So Im just curious why people like the G34 & G35 for IDPA. To me it seems like a G19 would be a better choice because of drawing out of a holster? What am I not seeing?
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17   #20
FireGuy
CLM Number 195
Into The Breach

The longer slide means longer distance from rear to front sight. That gives me a better sight picture at distances where the front sight blade would cover the entire A zone. The recoil is also softer with less perceived muzzle rise. Time needed to get the longer slide out of holster is not a factor compared to the rest of the motions needed when drawing.

Am using the standard 3.8 gn of TG with 124 gn MG CMP in my G34. Added the tungsten rod and a 14 lb spring. Shoots greta with a PF of 130+.

Have fun at the IDPA match then try out the darkside with USPSA.