Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:08   #1
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

I stuck a round in a die. Is there anything I can do to save the die?

Well, it finally happened... I was not paying proper attention to what I was doing and I ended up sticking a loaded 9mm round in my Lee FCD. I managed to pull the cap and the crimp insert out of the die but the round is stuck in the die's tube and it is not coming out.

I tried tapping it out and all I managed to do was flatten the bullet. I don't want to hit it too hard because I am afraid that forcefully compressing the powder may ignite it.

Luckily I was able to dig out the Dillon crimp die that the FCD replaced a few years ago and I was able to finish my reloading session but, I prefer the FCD.

I know these are only about $25 so at least my mistake didn't end up costing me much money but, before I throw it away, does anyone here know if Lee is willing to help out in any way (a discount on a new die would be nice) or should I just not even bother calling them?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:56   #2
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Sorry, my advise is to soak the whole thing in oil and get rid of it. Not worth any risk for the price of a new die.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:14   #3
tac_driver

is there anything sticking out the bottom if there is try angle cutters or pliers just above the rim depending on how much purchase you have to work with and gently tap the cutters on top with a small hammer. worked for me in the sizing die station.
tac_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27   #4
DoctaGlockta

I haven't used a FCD on pistol rounds but only rifle. I can't imagine getting a round stuck that badly unless you are crimping the heck out of the round.

I would take a fired and sized case (steel would be strongest I suppose) and place the mouth of the case over the stuck round. Tap lightly. I would also try grabbing the bottom of the case with a pair of pliers or vice grips as suggested above.

Good luck.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39   #5
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Give Lee a call. It can't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53   #6
creophus
Born Again

Yeah give Lee a call. I had a shell stuck (not a whole round) and they took care of it.

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28   #7
PCJim

Doc's idea above has good logic, although I haven't had to need to do something like this yet. Taking a spent steel case and using it, mouth to mouth, against the stuck case might just solve your problem. I'd also give it a good soaking with a penetrating oil to help assist in easing the stuck case from the die.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42   #8
Tom in Arizona

Just to reassure yourself take some of that powder you loaded in that 9mm and place it on a something hard, then start smacking it really hard with a hammer. See if it ignites, then after you have convienced yourself it does not squirt some Kroil penetrating oil into the top of the die, let it sit for a while (maybe a day or so) then punch the case out.
Tom in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45   #9
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Cut the base of the brass with side cutters- NOT A POWERTOOL.
Dump the powder tap the brass, insert a screw and pull out with that.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01   #10
Colorado4Wheel

How did it get stuck? I don't get it at all.

If it's a 9mm die then I have a 9mm FCD base that you can have. I screwed up the crimper part but you have yours from that die. Basically, you can make a complete die with the parts we both have.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 10-25-2011 at 08:43..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:11   #11
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Simply use a self-tapping screw and run it down into the bullet about half way. Use a pair a pliers to pull the bullet. (You're not going to set anything off.)

Dump the powder, use a wide tipped punch, (one bigger than the flash hole in the web), and tap the case out.

After you've removed the case without damaging the FCD throw the damn thing away, you don't need it, just learn to adjust your dies correctly.

Don't screw up like that again.

Where'd I put my coffee?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:27   #12
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

There is very little of the case sticking out the bottom. I stuck that case in there by placing the round on top of the shell holder. I was looking to re-crimp a few rounds to see if adjusting the crimp has any effect in accuracy.

I will try the methods you folks suggested and, if I can't get the round out of the die, I will give Lee a call.

Thank you all!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57   #13
creophus
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
I stuck that case in there by placing the round on top of the shell holder.
Ah, that explains it.

Hopefully it will come right out. Good luck.

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09   #14
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

If you have a single stage press, it's easy since you described how it happened. Put the die in the press but not the shellholder. Raise the ram until it's close to the die, then slide the shellholder into the ram. This will grab onto the rim. Lower the ram and the round will come out.

I've done that before myself and it worked well. That's why I always recommend to have a single stage around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36   #15
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
If you have a single stage press, it's easy since you described how it happened. Put the die in the press but not the shellholder. Raise the ram until it's close to the die, then slide the shellholder into the ram. This will grab onto the rim. Lower the ram and the round will come out.

I've done that before myself and it worked well. That's why I always recommend to have a single stage around.
It doesn't sound like there's enough of the rim sticking out to grab.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51   #16
dkf

Quote:
After you've removed the case without damaging the FCD throw the damn thing away, you don't need it, just learn to adjust your dies correctly.
I was waiting for someone to say that.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:55   #17
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Ah, I see. In that case center the die with lockring in a vise. Use the lockring as a stop collar on top of the jaws. Take off the crimp adjustment stem and tap the round out. You'll most likely get bullet setback, which you can remedy later and no the primer won't go off.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57   #18
DoctaGlockta

When all is said and done that is going to be one very, very, very accurate round.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 13:17   #19
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Jack is all over it. Also, you might try setting the whole die (with round) in the freezer for the night/day and see if it all contracts enough to get it out ... just a thought.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 17:08   #20
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Yeap, that's what happened. The bottom of the round is flush with the mouth of the die.

I have the die soaking in penetrating oil right now but I am not sure this will do the trick. The round is stuck in there pretty good.

It's not the primer I am concerned about... I don't want to whack it too hard because compressing the powder quickly will elevate the temperature enough to ignite it (same concept as you would see when using a fire piston) and I don't want to run this chance.

I think I am going to use the Dillon crimp die for a while and hope that I don't come across any spent cases fired through a fully automatic or another firearm with a really loose chamber. Though I admit that I hate the idea of having to go back to case gouging my rounds!