Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2011, 21:49   #1
nismochasse

Rem 700 info

Hello everyone! The other day I bought a Remington 700 bdl in .270 to hunt deer with. When I got home I noticed it doesn't have the grip and fore-end cap like the ones I have seen pictured on the internet. Remington said it was manufactured in 1999 but couldn't tell me if it started as a BDL. Does anyone know if the 1999 BDLs came without the grip and end caps? Maybe its a Walmart special or something? What is the symbol on the butt pad? Thanks for the info guys

The rifle:
Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Symbol on the butt pad:
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28   #2
steve1911

I have 3 700BDL'S they all have grip and end caps, that said your rifle looks like mountain rifle don't think they had them on that model.

Or the classic model.

1911club#410
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13   #3
off road

My first impression was that it is an ADL.....
off road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 20:00   #4
nismochasse

It has the hinged floor plate so it isn't an ADL. The classic seems to fit best (floorplate, no end caps, no cheek rest) but according to Remington's website the 17 Rem was the 1999 Classic caliber. It also doesn't have sling studs which every picture of a 700 seems to have.
Old 10-29-2011, 16:54   #5
paynter2
It ain't over

I think it looks better without the 'bling'. That's a damned good looking rifle. Any reputable gun shop should be able to tell you what (exactly) it is. I agree it looks like a Mountain Rifle - I know they only made one 'classic' caliber per year. But, I think they made the Mountain Rifle in many calibers.

I have a minty ADL in 6mm Rem. It was made in 1965 - cut checkering. No floor plate. Just form following function. That's the way I like them.

Hunting season starts next Saturday. I'll use my 788/6mm Rem/Nikon 3x7. They don't get much more basic than that.
Old 11-01-2011, 13:09   #6
nismochasse

Turns out steve1911 called it. I don't know if you meant Classic (BDL) or Classic (special caliber each year), bu it's a Classic Birch. Pretty much 1999s equivalent of today's BDL.

I also like it better without all the bling. The stock is a little dented/scratched so I'm not afraid to take it out in the woods and get it dirty. I finally got to take it shooting yesterday and was gonna zero in the scope. Since it didn't come with a soft recoil pad I figured it wouldn't be much worse than shooting an M16 (first time shooting a rifle bigger than 5.56). Boy was I wrong. ****! OUCH! I have never shot a scoped rifle sitting in a chair at a table either, so I'm sure I had terrible form and that contributed to it.

After putting a slip-on limb saver on it and feeling like a moron I tried again. It's pretty fun to shoot. I need a lot more practice before I can shoot a deer with it though.
Old 11-01-2011, 19:55   #7
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismochasse View Post

Symbol on the butt pad:
Remington Arms
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02   #8
steve1911

Good luck with your rifle, have fun putting lead down range. i have 270 win. mine likes 130 gr. bullets the best, mostly shoot reloads, with factory that i have tryed worked well were winchester 130 sp, and federal blue box 130 grainer's, rem core lokts shoot
well but they are my least favorite. good luck

1911club#410
Old 11-10-2011, 22:50   #9
bansheex

I have had a few 700's all 270's and 1 7mm Mag. I had just sold the 7mm and ran across a guy that wanted my 40cal glock. He asked me if I was open for a trade. I said not really, but send me a pic of what ya got. This was what he sent me....

and asked if I would trade straight across. Well after I got my chin off the floor, I said OK I guess I can do that.

Turns out it's a Remington Custom Shop 270 built in 1969, and it's a tack driver.

I love this rifle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bansheex; 11-10-2011 at 22:51..
bansheex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Nice looking rifle. It will last a lifetime if treated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismochasse View Post
Since it didn't come with a soft recoil pad I figured it wouldn't be much worse than shooting an M16 (first time shooting a rifle bigger than 5.56). Boy was I wrong. ****! OUCH! I have never shot a scoped rifle sitting in a chair at a table either, so I'm sure I had terrible form and that contributed to it.

After putting a slip-on limb saver on it and feeling like a moron I tried again. It's pretty fun to shoot. I need a lot more practice before I can shoot a deer with it though.
Yes, it has more recoil, but what you are telling me is you are not using good form. Funny how I have had this conversation with lots of vets.

No disrespect intended, but you need to learn how to shoot a rifle with more recoil. The military is currently teaching a form which doesn't work with medium bore rifles. You shouldn't need the limb saver on a 270.

If you continue to shoot larger and heavier recoil rifles, you will need to take the techniques you learn with the 270 and build upon them.

If you post a picture someone here can help you with your form.
I would also suggest looking at some older military manuals when the military shot rifles and not assault rifles.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40   #11
nismochasse

Bansheex, that is one nice looking rifle!

RW, I know i had bad form. I don't know how bad it was though. At least I'm not the only one doing it wrong I guess

Here is a picture of me with the rifle. I wasn't shooting at that time, but it should give an idea of my form. When I was actually shooting I leaned a lot more into it. Any critiques/corrections would be appreciated

Old 11-11-2011, 11:01   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

That side doesn't look too bad. You are not rolling forward like I expected. Or putting the rifle on the collar bone.

From the other side, is the elbow up or down? Elbow up creates a pocket for the rifle to sit in.

You are pulling the rifle tight?