Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2011, 21:52   #1
MightyTygart

Aftermarket Sights for Glock 20 - Intended for Hunting

I just read some older posts here in the 10 ring about sight options.

At the advice of Meathead (I think it was him), I think I am going to go with the Dawson Precision Adjustable Rear Sight and the Red Fiber-optic at .100" wide.

First Question: Would the front sight of .125" width be a hinderance for target acquisition? I know I don't want the .090" width because one of the things that bugs me about the stock sights is the amount of light around the front sight.

Second Question: What height should the front sight be?

As the title indicates, this pistol will be used for hunting applications.

MightyTygart
MightyTygart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 00:10   #2
TDC20

Good questions, and the best answer is what works best for you. Everyone will have their own preference. I like to have a front/rear combo such that there is just a small amount of light between the two, which makes sight alignment easier. Whether you like a wide or narrow front sight is really a matter of preference. Your brain will naturally find one or the other easier to align more accurately.

I have the Meprolight Tru-Dot tritium adjustable sights on my G20. The front sight is 0.160" wide, but it almost completely fills the rear sight at arm's length, so it makes sight alignment very easy and natural for me. This was a compromise for hunting/range and carry, though they aren't really ideal sights for carry since they stick out a bit and are close to the end of the slide. It's a better choice for hunting/range work than carry, but I make it work for both. Even though these sights are well made, if your use was strictly for carry I would stick with non-adjustable sights mainly for the "simpler is better" aspect and less chance of failure.

The top of the front sight for my Meprolights is 0.305" above the slide. This is really high compared to the stock fixed sights, but I think it's somewhat necessary to provide enough adjustment range for elevation, plus the adjustable rear sights are just going to be higher due to the extra hardware involved for an adjustable sight.

I would definitely go with something adjustable if your main use will be for hunting.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22   #3
dryfly
Platinum Membership

I like the adjustable meps too! They are OK for carry for me....are easy to adjust and are proving to give me better accuracy every time out at the range !
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26   #4
MightyTygart

In reference to question #1 this link may help:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...C99-1278686009
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43   #5
Meathead9

I'm planning on sending my .100" wide front sight back to DP in exchange for the .125" wide. At first I really liked all the daylight on the sides of the front sight, but I have found that it's more difficult to align them perfectly. If the front sight is just a hair off center, it can move the POI quite a bit depending on range. Hopefully the .125 sight will fill the gaps enough to get a more precise sight alignment. The rear sight notch is also narrower than the stock sights, so I think this is the ticket.

As for the sight height, mine is .285, but it's also on a G20LS. I would call DP and ask. They should be able to get you set up, if you can tell them what you're putting them on & what you want to do with it. If you decide you want a different width or height, they will exchange the sight for you.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:52   #6
MightyTygart

Thanks Meathead. I will putting this sight system on a standard slide using a six inch barrel. I have decided to forego the long slide at this point.

Tags
dawson, g20sf, glock 20, hunting, sight