Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:01   #1
Mopaw

Need more load data

I'm relatively new to reloading, and really keen on exact information. I'm reloading 9mm for my Glock and XDM. I have winchester FMJ 115gr hollow base (NOT hollow point) bullets and IMR Hi-Skor 700X powder. Looking at the Hodgden chart online they show data for a LRN bullet and for a SPR-GDHP bullet. The powder load for the lead bullet is 3.3 to 3.7 gr, and the hollow point is 3.9 to 4.2. these loads are mutually exclusive: I can't just pick one and expect everything to be OK.
So now I have questions:
1. Is there another data source other than Hodgden/IMR/Winchester?
2. Using one powder, how would you adjust the load between a lead round nose bullet and a FMJ round nose bullet?
Thanks
Mopaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:51   #2
F106 Fan

Are you certain about the bullet nomenclature? I use the Winchester 115 gr FMJ but I have never seen a hollow base. The fact that the lead is exposed on the bottom of the bullet simply means that they are not CMJ (complete metal jacket). I realize that FMJ rifle bullets have a complete jacket but that's because the temperature and pressure would melt the lead before it left the barrel. For lower velocity lead rifle bullets, there is a metal 'gas check' (looks like a washer with edges) placed on the bottom of the bullet to protect the lead.

I have certainly used hollow base wadcutters (HBWC) in my S&W 52 (semi-auto target gun - shoots wadcutters only). Look on the box or bag and see if it doesn't say FMJ - the one's I got from Cabela's do.

I use 3.6 gr of 700-X with the hard cast 115 gr but the load is too light to lock the slide back on an XD-9. I am using somewhere around 4.5 gr of Bullseye with the Winchester bullets (because I couldn't find published data for 700-X and the 115 gr FMJ) but I haven't had an opportunity to check the velocity. However, they do lock the slide back.

In any event, I am moving to the 147 gr bullets to reduce the recoil. For those I may use 3.2 gr of Titegroup.

Richard
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29   #3
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Are you certain about the bullet nomenclature? I use the Winchester 115 gr FMJ but I have never seen a hollow base. The fact that the lead is exposed on the bottom of the bullet simply means that they are not CMJ (complete metal jacket). I realize that FMJ rifle bullets have a complete jacket but that's because the temperature and pressure would melt the lead before it left the barrel. For lower velocity lead rifle bullets, there is a metal 'gas check' (looks like a washer with edges) placed on the bottom of the bullet to protect the lead.

I have certainly used hollow base wadcutters (HBWC) in my S&W 52 (semi-auto target gun - shoots wadcutters only). Look on the box or bag and see if it doesn't say FMJ - the one's I got from Cabela's do.

I use 3.6 gr of 700-X with the hard cast 115 gr but the load is too light to lock the slide back on an XD-9. I am using somewhere around 4.5 gr of Bullseye with the Winchester bullets (because I couldn't find published data for 700-X and the 115 gr FMJ) but I haven't had an opportunity to check the velocity. However, they do lock the slide back.

In any event, I am moving to the 147 gr bullets to reduce the recoil. For those I may use 3.2 gr of Titegroup.

Richard
That's what I use...for my 9mm...the 147gr, from Precision Delta

http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail...ku=B-9-147-FMJ

Greg
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:38   #4
whatsupglock

1. Check shooting forums for load data. The XD forum and Brian Enos forum as well as Glocktalk are great resources. I would think here is data floating around somewhere for your exact load.

2. Look at load data charts when switching from lead to jacketed, or again, check the forums. You can usually drop about 0.4 grains when switching to lead as starting point, but a chrono and knowing what to look for regarding pressure signs would be your best bet. Good information and a chrono are your two best resources.
whatsupglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41   #5
fredj338

They are called reloading manuals. Tryung to load w/ powdre manuf data is going to limit you. IMO, no replacement for 2-3 good current manuals. Lyamn #49, Speer #14 & Hornady for handgun. Since all bullets are NOT covered, you have to do extrapolation & that measn multiple data sources.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote