Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2011, 15:03   #1
hbroadie

Unable to remove front Glock Night Sight

I have a G23 that came with Glock night sights. I cannot remove the front sight using the Glock front sight tool. I have no problem removing the plastic sights on my other glocks.

I ended up buying a 3/16" craftsman wrench and found that the hex screw is actually smaller than 3/16" so that is why my Glock tool is also not working. Any ideas on how to remove the front sight without breaking the sight itself? I have extra hex screws from the plastic sights so I don't mind breaking the screw.

Thanks!
hbroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:52   #2
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

I tried to use my craftsman nut driver and it didn't fit because it is too thick to fit between the screw and the front of the slide. I purchased the correct tool and it works.

—Thomas Jefferson
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 20:05   #3
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbroadie View Post
I have a G23 that came with Glock night sights. I cannot remove the front sight using the Glock front sight tool. I have no problem removing the plastic sights on my other glocks.

I ended up buying a 3/16" craftsman wrench and found that the hex screw is actually smaller than 3/16" so that is why my Glock tool is also not working. Any ideas on how to remove the front sight without breaking the sight itself? I have extra hex screws from the plastic sights so I don't mind breaking the screw.

Thanks!
Works like a charm
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...D=1075&CAT=111
M&P Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03   #4
edsglocks

Try harbor freight if there's one in your neighborhood. I picked up a precision tool kit that had a 5mm/ 3/16th hex head tool that worked. Path to the link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piec...-set-4143.html
edsglocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 20:38   #5
smitty704

I am in the same position you were when you started this thread. S what did you do to remove the front sight? I need to remove the factory installed night sights on my G19 to install a set if XS big dots, what is the best way to do this?
Black Rifle Club member #704
smitty704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 22:01   #6
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty704 View Post
I am in the same position you were when you started this thread. S what did you do to remove the front sight? I need to remove the factory installed night sights on my G19 to install a set if XS big dots, what is the best way to do this?
I can send you an Ameriglo front sight tool. PM or email me with an address. I probably have a few dozen of these things. They used to ship them with every set of sights.

Probably your sight is loctited. Try heating it up good and hot with a heat gun or even a hair dryer.

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 23:36   #7
DannyR

Glock started using screw-on front sights around March 2009. Removing Glock factory front night sights:

1. Screw-on--use the proper front sight tool. No locktite was used. I use a GLOCK factory front sight tool.

2. Crimped on--not reusable. You must twist it off using a pair of pliers, preferably parallel jaw pliers.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 00:53   #8
smitty704

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Glock started using screw-on front sights around March 2009. Removing Glock factory front night sights:

1. Screw-on--use the proper front sight tool. No locktite was used. I use a GLOCK factory front sight tool.

2. Crimped on--not reusable. You must twist it off using a pair of pliers, preferably parallel jaw pliers.
Thanks DannyR! That is the info I was looking for.

That is a shame the night sights can't be reused. I thought I might be able to sell them.

I bought some new pliers this week and will put them to good use when the Big dots come in the mail.

Thanks again
Black Rifle Club member #704
smitty704 is offline   Reply With Quote