SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:52   #1
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

rcbs lockout die

Anyone using one? What do you think of it?
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I use the Hornady Powder Cop and the RCBS Lockout... actually I use the Powder Cops a lot more.

I got the RCBS just to compare the two and ended up liking the Hornady better... for ME, and me alone, I find it easier to use.

They both do the same thing but the RCBS has the advantage of actually locking up the machine in the event of no charge or double charge. If you feel that you need that added safety feature then that's probably the way to go.

I found it to be kind of a PITA since you will occasionally get a false reading when the die will lock up with a normal charge in it.

Where I put a powder die it is directly in my line of sight so it is almost second nature to watch the rising rod on either die.

The Powder Cop is very easy to adjust when changing loads, calibers, powders, etc. and has the added advantage of being able to be used for rifle cartridges including .223.

With just a little bit of practice the powder Cop allows you to determine if a charge is one or two tenths off which lets you make the decision to continue or not.

I got tired of my Dillon powder alarms always going out of adjustment and stopping to have to readjust them so I replaced them with Powder Cops on my 1050's. Since your hand is sitting there ready to seat a bullet in the station just ahead of it you can't help but see each charge without leaning forward.

I'd hate to think of the dog and pony show you'd have to go through if the RCBS locked up a 1050.

Either one will work, and work well... just depends on how much safety factor you want or are willing to put up with. Oh, the Powder Cop is about a third of the price.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:58   #3
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Thanks Jack. I saw your review from a couple years back after I started this thread. I think I am going to get both and try them out.

I thought I always looked in each case until this weekend. I was at a match in Charleston and had a squib on a practice run on a plate rack. There was so much noise around me I didn't hear or even feel the squib.
It was the third shot on what would have been a sub 3 second run so I was running pretty fast.
Luckily, the bullet stuck just far enough back that the slide didn't go into battery. Another 1/8th" and I would have blown up the gun.

I realize that I need to slow down with the 1050. That is the first squib I have ever loaded, and I intend for it to be the last. I literally dodged a bullet.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

If you'd been shooting a revolver nothing much would have happened with a second shot... maybe a slightly bulged barrel. Semi's aren't as forgiving, at least a blown out mag.

Loading is pretty similar to shooting... speed is fine buy accuracy is final, no reason to bust your ass pumping out loaded rounds, proves nothing.

Jack

Old 11-01-2011, 11:50   #5
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
If you'd been shooting a revolver nothing much would have happened with a second shot... maybe a slightly bulged barrel. Semi's aren't as forgiving, at least a blown out mag.

Loading is pretty similar to shooting... speed is fine buy accuracy is final, no reason to bust your ass pumping out loaded rounds, proves nothing.

Jack
Oh, I agree. I think I was just a little too excited about loading on the 1050.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50   #6
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

I use the Lockout die exclusivly for pistol. I love it and it has work flawlessly for me. It has even caught a couple squibs when my newb brother was loading.

I also have the powder cop die and use it for rifle. It has worked well for me until now. I like it but for pistol i feel the RCBS is the way the way to go.

@Jack My cop die is giving me hell. I set the die and a few rounds later it shows a high powder level or does not move at all. Check powder and it fine. The die is locked in tight, the only thing I can think of is that the oxidization on the rod is causing problems. Any solution or experience.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:04   #7
unclebob

I personally have not had the problem of what Jack said about the Dillon powder check. Be advised that the RCBS had a batch of powder checks that did not work right.
GSSF Life Member
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
I use the Lockout die exclusivly for pistol. I love it and it has work flawlessly for me. It has even caught a couple squibs when my newb brother was loading.

I also have the powder cop die and use it for rifle. It has worked well for me until now. I like it but for pistol i feel the RCBS is the way the way to go.

@Jack My cop die is giving me hell. I set the die and a few rounds later it shows a high powder level or does not move at all. Check powder and it fine. The die is locked in tight, the only thing I can think of is that the oxidization on the rod is causing problems. Any solution or experience.

I don't have any humidity here unless I load in the shower and even then I have to be really, really drunk so I wouldn't notice the rod sticking anyway.

When the dies were new I'd get a few flakes of powder sticking to the plastic end of the rod, (did it on the RCBS too), I just rubbed it with pencil lead and the problem went away. Don't remember having to do it again.

Try rubbing the rod with a pencil, I would imagine that would take care of any rough movement.

Jack

Old 11-01-2011, 13:59   #9
m2hmghb

I like the RCBS die. The lighting in the basement where I load is ok, but not enough to determine an exact charge visually. The lockout die gives the visual and the added benefit of locking up the press. I've tested it .3 grains off and it worked well. To date I only have it on 40, but that's the round I primarily load for.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:43   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

I found it to be kind of a PITA since you will occasionally get a false reading when the die will lock up with a normal charge in it.
My sentiments about it as well, for 9mm anyways. I still have mine and will give it a try for .40 and larger calibers some time in the future.

Jack PM sent.