Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2011, 14:06   #1
nismochasse

KKM feeding issue

I bought a used KKM 6" barrel for my G20 and tried it at the range yesterday. It fired perfect all day with the stock barrel but the first mag with the KKM had 3 FTFeeds and the 2nd mag had 2. I haven't added any aftermarket parts to the pistol other than the barrel. I was shooting Georgia Arms 180gr. FMJ. Should I try different ammunition or is there a different problem with the barrel or pistol? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 14:57   #2
Reboot

Just as a troubleshooting step it might be a good idea to try a different brand of ammunition. When I got my G21/10 conversion barrel I was running into FTFs and FTEs with my KKM barrel using Hornady Custome Defense ammo. When I switched to my hand loads (with brand new brass) all of the FTFs magically disappeared.

Your KKM chamber just might be very tight. I've "read" that people have had to either break them in by firing rounds through it or they've done it manually by polishing the chamber. You could also pull the barrel out and drop in a round to see if it head spaces on the case mouth or if it's so tight it doesn't drop all the way in.
Reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 15:18   #3
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismochasse View Post
I bought a used KKM 6" barrel for my G20 and tried it at the range yesterday. It fired perfect all day with the stock barrel but the first mag with the KKM had 3 FTFeeds and the 2nd mag had 2. I haven't added any aftermarket parts to the pistol other than the barrel. I was shooting Georgia Arms 180gr. FMJ. Should I try different ammunition or is there a different problem with the barrel or pistol? Thanks!
From what I understand, due to the tighter dimensions, it's not unusual to have to polish the feed ramp and/or chamber to increase the reliability of aftermarket barrels. I'd email/call KKM for suggestions, since they've got a lot of experience with this.

My G20-SF's never malfunctioned while using my 6" Glock barrel, with any type of ammo.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-01-2011 at 15:20..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:09   #4
nismochasse

Thanks for the feed back. I sent KKM an email, so I'll see what they have to say before I start polishing. Hopefully I can get it shooting as good as the factory barrel because I wanted to take this out to the woods with me and maybe even hunt with it.
Old 11-01-2011, 17:29   #5
danattherock

If you don't mind, post here what they tell you in the email reply. I would be eager to hear what they say. Just ordered a KKM stock length barrel for my G20 the other day.

-Dan
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05   #6
swinokur

I had a Storm Lake that needed ti be polished. No issues after that.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:36   #7
jaygibson

What do you use to polish the chamber?
jaygibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15   #8
swinokur

Sent it back to them. They did it no charge.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41   #9
g29guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygibson View Post
What do you use to polish the chamber?
Anything slightly abrasive (polish level abrasive). Ive found turtle wax rubbing compound(course), Turtle wax polishing compound(medium) and maguire's swirl remover(fine), all work well for gun parts if you want to do it by hand.

Toothpaste with baking soda or any that say whitening have a mild abrasive in it.

If you have a Dremel tool buy a polishing wheel but be careful not to remove too much too fast.

When I was young my grandpa showed me how to squeeze a tube of toothpaste into my shotgun in every nook and cranny and then had me cycle it about a hundred times.

I then had to field strip it and clean it and lube it. The gun has never had a misfire and is smooth as glass.
Old 11-03-2011, 15:20   #10
nismochasse

KKM replied that I can send them the barrel and an ammo sample and they will take a look at it. I'm going to try some 180gr Double Tap this weekend and see what happens before I send it out.