Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2011, 19:08   #1
RyeDaddy

Charter Pitbull 40S&W reamed to 10mm?

I haven't been around here on the 10 ring in a while! Sold my G20SF last year, and am waiting for the Gen 4's to buy another G20. (I called Glock and they said they'll be coming, they're not dropping the 10mm) Haven't lost my love for the 10mm, just been busy with other guns. With that said I may have missed discussion of the Charter Pitbull in my absence, so if this has been brought up before forgive me.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy a Charter Pitbull in 40 S&W as a "Leave it in the car all the time" gun. I've shot other Charter revolvers before, and have been satisfied with them in the shoot it a little, but always have a gun around kind of weapon. Not a range every week kind of gun, as I wouldn't want to shoot a snub all the time, but they work just fine and I know from past experience that the Bulldog frame ala the 44 Special fits perfectly in my center console. Stainless, so not worried about the finish, and no magazine springs to wear out from being kept loaded, win-win. Seems like it would be very handy to load with snake shot and stuff in my back pocket while hunting here in Texas also.

My question is: Has anyobody out there measured the cylinder length on the Pitbull to see if it's long enough to allow it to be reamed to 10mm? Pressure spec on 40 vs 10mm suggests the gun should be able to handle it. I don't know that I NEED the extra muzzle blast or velocity of 10mm in a snub, but I think it would be an interesting project, and I have a TON of 10mm reloading stuff still from having owned 10mm's in the past. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this, my purchase is still months away as I've got Christmas coming up for the wife and 3 kids. It's gonna have to be a doozey for the wife as she bought me a Colt Commander XSE and a POF P-308 this year.
RyeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22   #2
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I guess your right about it operating in near the same pressure zone, I would still be a little worried about it flying apart. A 5 shooter would go along with my GP100 6 shooter though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Probably OK for Silvertips.
Did my Smith M646.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47   #4
Burien

sounds fun and do-able

Last edited by Burien; 11-08-2011 at 12:48..
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 20:47   #5
flyandscuba

The Taurus 405 might be a better option. As for me, I'm waiting for the Chiappa Rhino in 40 S&W to make it to the dealers. I'll definitely ream one of those to 10mm Auto.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38   #6
PBRLite

I am pretty sure that the pit bull is built on the same frame, and using the same cylinder as the .44 special Bulldog Pug. That being said, below is a pic of one of my 180 grain Remington Golden Saber bullets in a 10mm Starline case. I laid it on top of the cylinder. I also took a picture of a 10mm round next to a .44 special round for comparison.

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 21:53   #7
Cycletroll

Just handload .40 hot. The Charter is plenty well supported and has adequate cylinder wall thickness since it can fit .44 charge holes. .40 brass can be loaded hotter than 10mm in a fully supported chamber like the Charter. My suspicion is that in a 20oz revolver recoil will become a problem long before pressure will.
180gr@1200 should be doable or 200gr hardcast at 1100-1200.
My bet is none of you will want to shoot many of these.
I shoot 180's@1100 out of a 18oz S&W .357 and they kick like a sum*****!

Just sayin!
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

as if the gun wasnt loose enough.......

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24   #9
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRLite View Post
I am pretty sure that the pit bull is built on the same frame, and using the same cylinder as the .44 special Bulldog Pug. That being said, below is a pic of one of my 180 grain Remington Golden Saber bullets in a 10mm Starline case. I laid it on top of the cylinder. I also took a picture of a 10mm round next to a .44 special round for comparison.

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
What 'smith are you going to use for the reaming work? And what would a reasonable cost be for such work? Thanks.

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:37   #10
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

they intend to chamber it in 45acp someday, which is in the same OAL league as 10 mm so I think it will work size wise. Whether it flies apart when shot is another.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote