Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:51   #1
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Oakland cops, Occupy, and a bit more of the story

With a nod to Paul Harvey....

Some in the Occupy movement are up in arms that some Oakland cops are covering up their name tags. Clear expression of intent to violate rights, dontchya know. And the blogosphere and regular Joes are nodding in agreement. See this for example: http://vimeo.com/m/31568216

And ya know what? It sure seems like they have a valid beef. But then, tucked away in a little-visited corner of Fox, I find this: http://opinion.foxnews.mobi/quickPag...65.proteus.fma

Things that make you go "Hmmmm".
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17   #2
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Its awful safe behind a computer screen. One of these days, someone is going to ID an Anonymous member, and we'll see how brave they are when reality in staring tthem in the face.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Its awful safe behind a computer screen. One of these days, someone is going to ID an Anonymous member, and we'll see how brave they are when reality in staring tthem in the face.
The pencil-necked geeks at Anonymous threatened to expose some Zetas. They quickly reconsidered and withdrew the threat. This was all within the last month.

Much safer to mess with people constrained by the rules of Western civilization. Same dynamic as to why no one's demanding a church be built in Mecca, and why the anti-nuke/war/government protests were somehow absent in the USSR.

Meantime, I'm thinking of a "G Soros" nametag for special occasions.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 11-06-2011 at 10:27..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 13:21   #4
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I wish I was quick enough to have thought of that.

Love our velcro nametapes.
Old 11-06-2011, 15:50   #5
Brucev

Name tags... can see where these would be a problem. Strikes me as similar to the concerns of those whose personal information was published by newspapers detailing their status as carriers of a concealed weapon, etc. But, what about badge numbers. Just how far is one to go in seeking to hide one's identity when one is engaged in public service?
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:25   #6
Nick.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Name tags... can see where these would be a problem. Strikes me as similar to the concerns of those whose personal information was published by newspapers detailing their status as carriers of a concealed weapon, etc. But, what about badge numbers. Just how far is one to go in seeking to hide one's identity when one is engaged in public service?
Are you a public servant?
Nick.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:56   #7
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.45 View Post
Those who couldn't give a hoot about public service, or those that got washed out in the process, will be the first to tell you... "I pay my taxes... so I pay your salary."

And their attitude is "As a public servant, you're just a servant."

But when they're in difficulty, who are they gonna call first?

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:56   #8
Vigilant

Quote:
Are you a pubic servant?

Fixed. No need for thanks, I know it was just a typo....

Old 11-06-2011, 17:20   #9
Nick.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Fixed. No need for thanks, I know it was just a typo....

Old 11-06-2011, 19:32   #10
Brucev

Quote:
Not sure why the question is relevant? Did not know that the phrase was inappropriate.
Old 11-06-2011, 19:35   #11
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

Quote:
Much safer to mess with people constrained by the rules of Western civilization. Same dynamic as to why no one's demanding a church be built in Mecca, and why the anti-nuke/war/government protests were somehow absent in the USSR.
...or riots in Chicago post 1968.
South Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:43   #12
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
And their attitude is "As a public servant, you're just a servant."
The attitude should be:

"I am in public service, but I am not subservient....I will provide you with the service that I am employed for."
South Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:55   #13
Nick.45

Quote:
Not sure why the question is relevant? Did not know that the phrase was inappropriate.
To most people, including criminals, a mans family is off limits. But to others, they view them as fair game. I am willing to bet that you have never had any of these people, who have the intent and the willingness, threaten to rape, torture, and murder your family just because of the uniform you wear to work.

I asked the question because if you worked with these type of people, you would know what the officers in Oakland are worried about. But from your response, I have my answer.

Just like Patchman said, you can complain all day about the police, but the second someone is outside your house trying to get it, you will be screaming on the phone to a dispatcher to get a cop there to help you. And Im sure he won't be there a time that is satisfactory to you, but thats ok. He showed up as fast as he could, he put his life in danger to help you. Until you are willing to do the same, you can go pound sand.
Old 11-06-2011, 20:36   #14
Philly K-9
Run! I Dare ya!

I was part of the Mobile Field Force during the Republican National Convention here in Philadelphia back in 2000. Whenever we lined up the protesters legal people would walk our line writing down our names and badge numbers. If we held our sticks across our chests in such a manner as to block their view of our name tags and/or badges they would seek out a boss and demand our info. It got to the point that we weren't allowed to do it. At one point their lawyers wanted us to recite our info for them (usually on camera).

This was an obvious attempt to intimidate us. Back then I figured it was just to report us to IAB. No big deal. But if it happened now I'd really worry!
Plenty of room for more....
Philly K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:36   #15
Brucev

"To most people, including criminals..." etc. Immediate and extended family members are career LEO's. Have some familiarity with how at least some criminals regard officers family. One immediate family member (not a LEO) the target of a criminal's family member simply because of their being related to that officer.

I simply used the phrase "peace officer." I did not know it was a problem.

I understand the need to prevent extremist from obtaining names. I asked "what of badge numbers?" I.e., would that make an officer vulnerable to the same sort of extremists?

Now... in my community I know the officers on a first name basis. And they know me and my family. Cool. Once many years ago there was an evening when I had some folks pop rounds at me while I was at work at a repair facility on the intercoastal waterway in New Orleans. I don't recall screaming when I phoned the police. I don't recall noting the exact time when the officers arrived, etc. I didn't think it was important. I figured they came as soon as they could. Now... as to putting ones life on the line... I've never done so in an official capacity. The one time when I did so, it was simply as a individual who observed a armed robbery. I managed to stop the man. When the police arrived, they of course took over. Cool.
Old 11-06-2011, 21:44   #16
A6Gator

Quote:
How 'bout Richard Hertz...

Or I.P. Knightly...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
I'm guessing that if somebody ID's an Anonymous member, they will have a very, very short and painfull future. Which cartel was it they threatened?

While I don't agree with Brucev about anything, the only reason I can think of for not wearing your nametag is to prevent easy complaints by any OWSer who sees it and knows that every complaint puts a burden on the PD to investigate. I was a police officer in a place where everybody knows you and the police have police cars parked in front of their houses, so polcie hiding your identities when off duty is a big city thing I don't get at all. I always worked on the principle that if anybody is brave enough to take action against me off duty, I didn't do it right to begin with. Nobody ever did (except one guy I had arrested, who stole my leather jacket in a bar, but he gave it back the next day).

Last edited by Bren; 11-07-2011 at 09:58..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:06   #18
Chuck54

Just take the tags and badges off ........ take everything off that the protesters might try to grab as a souvenir; badges should be sewed on riot gear.
Chuck54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 13:50   #19
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck54 View Post
Just take the tags and badges off ........ take everything off that the protesters might try to grab as a souvenir; badges should be sewed on riot gear.
I've seen a few riot uniforms that have nothing more than the agency name and their identifying number on the chest. I'm sure this is a bigger problem now that we're in the information age where anyone can google someone's whole name and see what softball league they play on, read newspaper articles about them and find their address and phone number as well as the pics of their new ride they posted on facebook.

Maybe they should have QR tags on uniforms so they can just scan your barcode and it takes them to the dept IA web site where they can fill out a complaint or compliment.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote