Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2011, 17:26   #1
madrenj

Issue with Ejecting/Rechambering Rounds

I read a post in another forum that ejecting a round several times might cause a problem with it. Have any of you every heard his or experienced an issue?

I keep my G19 fully loaded with PD ammo. When I go to the range, I eject the round I have chambered, and then load up other mags with target ammo. Once Iím done, Iíll switch mags to my PD ammo, chamber a round, then reinsert the round I had ejected earlier back into the mag. I end up alternating between the first two rounds being ejected and rechambered several times.
madrenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:45   #2
Glockbuster

While the normal thing to happen would be to rechamber same round about three times before any significant bullet setback ocurrs, I personally chamber rounds only once before I shoot them the next time.

Bullet setback increases pressure to dangerous levels, and is not something to take lightly. You will never be able to check for bullet setback once you have chambered the round you are about to fire. So to be safe if you have to unchamber a round, shoot it the next time.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:46   #3
frankt

The first round, if loaded and ejected numerous times, sometimes gets the nose deformed from hitting the feed ramp over and over.

Also, and probably more important, the bullet will sometimes be pushed deeper into the case. This can raise pressure and also affect proper chambering.

Semper Fi
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:57   #4
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
While the normal thing to happen would be to rechamber same round about three times before any significant bullet setback ocurrs, I personally chamber rounds only once before I shoot them the next time.

Bullet setback increases pressure to dangerous levels, and is not something to take lightly. You will never be able to check for bullet setback once you have chambered the round you are about to fire. So to be safe if you have to unchamber a round, shoot it the next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankt View Post
The first round, if loaded and ejected numerous times, sometimes gets the nose deformed from hitting the feed ramp over and over.

Also, and probably more important, the bullet will sometimes be pushed deeper into the case. This can raise pressure and also affect proper chambering.

Excellent advice by all.

A trick I do is to segregate the once chambered rounds by using a china marker to color the primer. I then burn them up later during range sessions.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:12   #5
dkf

Extractor can nick the cases, feed ramp can dent the cases/bullet, but bullet setback is what you want to watch for. Some calibers show bullet setback quicker than others. Bullet setback increases the pressure and can cause a KB if the pressures spike too high. After a being chambered a time or two its best to put the bullet at the bottom of the mag. (after being measured with a caliper for any setback) Or you can save the rounds, measure them and just use them up at the range.

Some of the rounds that I have where the bullet was pushed back I just used my inertia bullet puller to pull the bullet out to the correct overall length and shot them at the range.(Carefully chambering them) Or you can just pull the bullets and use the components. Believe it or not I've had brand new out of the box rounds have bullet setback. I always check every round before loading it in a mag and usually do a quick OAL check. Mainly with my .357sig ammo that is a high pressure round.

Last edited by dkf; 11-06-2011 at 21:15..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:29   #6
chemcmndr

To see the results myself I did a simple experiment:

I took some factory Speer GDHP 124+P SBHP and used my G26. I measured the OAL and then loaded them into a magazine. I chambered and ejected all 10 rounds measuring the length afterwards. I repeated the process again 9 more times recording the length after each round. I don't have the data anymore, but what I found was that the bullets would not set back, but set forward meaning the OAL was increasing steadily. I'm sure different ammunition/firearm combinations will yield different results, but that's what I got when I tried.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31   #7
DEADEYEGUY

Although on quality self defense ammo I have not had problems re-chambering rounds bullet set back is a real potential problem. As others have stated especially in high pressur rounds bullet set back can cause over pressure issues. Where I have had allot of problems with it is in WWB .45 practice ammo. i've had rounds come out of the box not seated properly. The bullet was way down in the case. Once had 3 boxes of it in the same production run. It was terrible.
Winchester replaced it but it's always a good idea to look any rounds over before putting them in your gun. Although I don't always follow it 2-3 rechamberings will probably keep things safe. I'd still check the rounds though before rechambering them. Just a good practice.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 19:23   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

In my experience some guns are worse than others, and some types of ammo are worse than others.

I do not unload my guns any more than necessary, but going to the range once a month or more requires it. I generally put the unchambered round in the bottom of the magazine when its time to reload. I replace my carry ammo about once a year.

My father is bad about loading/unloading his guns constantly. I have noticed significant setback and case rim wear in two of his guns. His Springfield 1911 loaded with Gold Dots showed significant setback after a few months. His P239 loaded with Federal hydra-shoks showed the same.

Bear in mind he unloads his gun every night and reloads it in the morning. I dont understand why.

I have never noticed any problems with my carry ammo.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:31   #9
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I do not unload my guns any more than necessary, but going to the range once a month or more requires it. I generally put the unchambered round in the bottom of the magazine when its time to reload. I replace my carry ammo about once a year.
Since we need to be checking our SD ammo regularly, when going to the range, why not just leave the one SD round you have left in the pipe, ejecting the SD mag and follow it with range ammo?

That way you get to prove your SD ammo in a cold gun (at least once) and then you've got FMJ to train with. The cold gun, with the full, tight mag, is probably the most likely to give you a misfeed, right?

Also you avoid the need to rechamber the one you had in the pipe, AND avoid the possibility of a setback.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57   #10
CTSixshot

A simple measurement check with calipers can reveal any setback issues. Use a few known "good" rounds from the same box as a standard. If the bullet hasn't moved after 50 loadings, there's no reason you can't reuse it. Establish a procedure for checking ejected live rounds and it should never be an issue.
CTSixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:34   #11
PghJim

I know there are people who will tell me that this is dagerous for some reason, but when I rechamber the SD rounds, I ride the slide to pick up and chamber the round slowly being sure the gun locks up. The is no bullet set back or dings to the bullet. I have found there is no affect on accuracy with this first round. If you can do a press check to see if a round is in the chamber, there should be no reason why my method should be a problem. The bullet easily slips under the extractor, and it goes into the chamber rather softly. This would not work with all gun models, but it seems to work OK with a Glock.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote