Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-08-2011, 14:48   #1
wdphillips

High Primers on .223

I used my Lee Pro 1000 with case feeder to load up about 500 .223 Remington’s for my AR. The Pro 1000 works simple and works great!

Thanks for the flex light tip PCJim, I was able to easily check each case for powder while in the press.

I did use some once fired military brass for the first time that had the primer crimp removed. For the most part the brass worked great. However I did wind up with about 5 rounds with a slightly high primer. Maybe I should have “uniformed” primer pockets first. Next time!

My question is should I tear these few rounds down or chance shooting them through my AR? After reading a few blurbs of AR rounds battery firing I have opted not to chance shooting them.

Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
wdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 15:08   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Have your wife shoot the high primers... if something goes wrong don't worry about it, you can meet all kinds of new women at dance classes.

See the kinds of nifty things you can learn on a reloading forum.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 15:41   #3
PCJim

Have some fun with them! Load only those five high primers into a single mag, insert the mag, shoulder the AR and point it in a safe direction, then release the bolt. About the worse that can happen is that you have a 5 round burst!
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 16:05   #4
wdphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Have your wife shoot the high primers... if something goes wrong don't worry about it, you can meet all kinds of new women at dance classes.

See the kinds of nifty things you can learn on a reloading forum.

Jack
Speaking of dance classes...my wife and I attended the Southeastern Colorado Stockmen's Association ball on Saturday! I can load .223s but I did not know how to do the "two step". I guess you know where I am going to be!

Old 11-08-2011, 16:11   #5
michael e

I have had a few high ones when before. I just loaded up at top of mag, didn't drop slide till ready to fire. Never had any go off without pulling trigger.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 16:12   #6
wdphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Have some fun with them! Load only those five high primers into a single mag, insert the mag, shoulder the AR and point it in a safe direction, then release the bolt. About the worse that can happen is that you have a 5 round burst!
Jim:

Hmmmm you may have hit on something. "High Primer Bump Firing"! A lot cheaper than my Slide Fire Solution. I have them all in a magazine...

Old 11-08-2011, 16:14   #7
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Just tear them down and load them again. I doubt you'd have an out of battery incident... likely wouldn't fire at all on the first shot, but better safe than sorry.

I don't pray much, but when I hear of Jack at dance classes, I will say a quick prayer for the one what wants to git close to this...

Reloading
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:01   #8
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdphillips View Post
Jim:

Hmmmm you may have hit on something. "High Primer Bump Firing"! A lot cheaper than my Slide Fire Solution. I have them all in a magazine...
A local board that I am a member of had a group get-together last month. I was able to see the SlideFire in action against some NFA full autos. The SF unit is definitely a lot less expensive, not a lot more than the cost of the NFA stamp! It ran very well against the FAs.

Only downside is that it teaches you bad form...
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:08   #9
wdphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
A local board that I am a member of had a group get-together last month. I was able to see the SlideFire in action against some NFA full autos. The SF unit is definitely a lot less expensive, not a lot more than the cost of the NFA stamp! It ran very well against the FAs.

Only downside is that it teaches you bad form...
I have one and it will definitely bring a smile to your face!

If you believe that "shooting is just a by product of reloading" you really need an AR-15 with a Slide Fire stock!