Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 22:44   #1
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Exemption from personal identity websites?

As you know, sites of this type are becoming prolific. I don't see much hope in spending a bunch of time trying to keep up with them all, and go through the crap involved with having my info deleted from them. It also looks as though retaliation may be popular these days. Does anyone know of a website to which one could subscribe for a reasonable price, that would automatically withdraw our personal info from all sites of this type, including new sites as they pop up?

If no such option is available, it could be a profitable venture for someone on this board who is an Internet guru.

Any thoughts?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 22:59   #2
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,970
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I know we were told to contact each web site owner and administrator individually in writing, (if we choose to do so), by email or by letter to demand removal of personal information, and that by federal law they must do so. Now, if they are located outside of the USA I don't know what to tell you.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59   #3
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I know we were told to contact each web site owner and administrator individually in writing, (if we choose to do so), by email or by letter to demand removal of personal information, and that by federal law they must do so. Now, if they are located outside of the USA I don't know what to tell you.
Thanks, Hack. Hope all is well up your way.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32   #4
A6Gator
Senior Member
 
A6Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Barack's Plantation
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
As you know, sites of this type are becoming prolific. I don't see much hope in spending a bunch of time trying to keep up with them all, and go through the crap involved with having my info deleted from them. It also looks as though retaliation may be popular these days. Does anyone know of a website to which one could subscribe for a reasonable price, that would automatically withdraw our personal info from all sites of this type, including new sites as they pop up?

If no such option is available, it could be a profitable venture for someone on this board who is an Internet guru.

Any thoughts?
I started thinking about getting personal data removed from these parasites and took a look at how to get off. I found this and it looks like a pretty challenging task:

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1636&page=1

She had 13 sites listed, and it's a huge PIA to get your stuff off, even if you wanted to spend the time. Seems like a ripe topic for legislation, but then we'd have to figure out who's getting money from these leeches...
__________________
-The only easy day was yesterday
-If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just say this to yourself... “Baa.”
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38   #5
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
I started thinking about getting personal data removed from these parasites and took a look at how to get off. I found this and it looks like a pretty challenging task:

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1636&page=1

She had 13 sites listed, and it's a huge PIA to get your stuff off, even if you wanted to spend the time. Seems like a ripe topic for legislation, but then we'd have to figure out who's getting money from these leeches...
Thanks. I thought about legislation, but was hoping it would be addressed naturally, through supply and demand. I'll go ahead and shoot an email to a congress critter for the heck of it. We have enough on our plate already. It's a crock to have to circle the wagons at home also.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44   #6
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka
 
Sharky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,113
A lot of information, especially addresses, comes from tax information being sold off since it is available through FOIA. Companies like intellius collect the info and sell it off.

Consider trying to head off the source first and THEN combat what is already out there. Otherwise you are going to be fighting a losing battle. Once one comes down another will go up.

You can put your home mortgage into a trust, obviously don't use your last name in the title of the trust. You can get a PO Box for certain bills if you wish to avoid your name being in databases. You can use your wife's maiden name or a fictitious name for a lot of your bills and expenses. Consider not using your real name in your online social networking for several reasons....Register your license plate and DL to your PD address.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,235
I don't think it is a cops only issue.

The problem is how to you allow the people who should get the information and keep those who shouldn't out.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 13:32   #8
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka
 
Sharky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I don't think it is a cops only issue.

The problem is how to you allow the people who should get the information and keep those who shouldn't out.
Not a cop only issue in the fact that I believe too many companies are putting out WAY too much information these days on the internet.

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day. A simple arrest for DUI can result in the loss of the bad guys job, marriage, home, prison time, etc. Instead of taking accountability for their own actions - some nut job could blame it all on the cop and go for revenge. The more years you put in on the job the more people you put in prison. A few nuts from OWS movements have even posted the home addresses and tx #'s of officers on the riot lines.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 13:42   #9
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Not a cop only issue in the fact that I believe too many companies are putting out WAY too much information these days on the internet.

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day. A simple arrest for DUI can result in the loss of the bad guys job, marriage, home, prison time, etc. Instead of taking accountability for their own actions - some nut job could blame it all on the cop and go for revenge. The more years you put in on the job the more people you put in prison. A few nuts from OWS movements have even posted the home addresses and tx #'s of officers on the riot lines.
My point exactly. People like me deal with a 100% concentration of such individuals, thanks to the hard work and commitment of you good folks on the street. It will probably take a few home invasions and other acts of domestic terror before anything is done, and even then I have little confidence in a just outcome.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 14:20   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Not a cop only issue in the fact that I believe too many companies are putting out WAY too much information these days on the internet.

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day.
Sure some cops deal with scum all day long.

But the police are not the only ones dealing with scum. I will bet I have gotten more people fired for cause than you.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 14:33   #11
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka
 
Sharky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Sure some cops deal with scum all day long.

But the police are not the only ones dealing with scum. I will bet I have gotten more people fired for cause than you.
I'm sure you are the biggest of the bad when it comes to IT work. I am confident that people think twice before they type in those google searches or visit non-work related websites when you are on the clock.

If you think it really compares, you need to spend more time off that computer.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 15:07   #12
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Sure some cops deal with scum all day long.

But the police are not the only ones dealing with scum. I will bet I have gotten more people fired for cause than you.
I myself applaud your efforts. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

What are your views on carrying a service weapon? Should one keep their primary weapon loaded, or would you suggest keeping the primary empty, and relying on one's BUG in case some nut job goes for the primary?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 15:43   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
I myself applaud your efforts. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

What are your views on carrying a service weapon? Should one keep their primary weapon loaded, or would you suggest keeping the primary empty, and relying on one's BUG in case some nut job goes for the primary?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you.
The Police dept. I support keeps their service weapon loaded. So do the Homeland Security, TSA and ICE officers I interface with. I find it very interesting that most of the officers don't carry a BUG. Then again many can not legally have a sidearm where they live.

Since we are going to take this thread in a different direction.....
Do you use WebEOC to coordinate your efforts across jurisdictions?
How do you deal with DLP issues?
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 15:55   #14
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
The Police dept. I support keeps their service weapon loaded. So do the Homeland Security, TSA and ICE officers I interface with. I find it very interesting that most of the officers don't carry a BUG. Then again many can not legally have a sidearm where they live.

Since we are going to take this thread in a different direction.....
Do you use WebEOC to coordinate your efforts across jurisdictions?
How do you deal with DLP issues?
I handle most of my business from the keyboard, at my secluded abode in my mom's basement. I never dlsclose my resources. My area of operation pertains to Mall Security, and I assure you, I am quite proficient. I hope one day to join the ranks of Law Enforcement.

Thanks again for all that you do.

Your friend,

Merle
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 20:43   #15
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,202
Sure did turn quiet in here......
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 21:26   #16
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned
 
RyanNREMTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 4,726
Not exactly what I was expecting when I opened this topic.
__________________
Support Free Range Shopping Carts on Facebook.
RyanNREMTP is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 770
164 Members
606 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31