Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2011, 22:44   #1
Vigilant

Exemption from personal identity websites?

As you know, sites of this type are becoming prolific. I don't see much hope in spending a bunch of time trying to keep up with them all, and go through the crap involved with having my info deleted from them. It also looks as though retaliation may be popular these days. Does anyone know of a website to which one could subscribe for a reasonable price, that would automatically withdraw our personal info from all sites of this type, including new sites as they pop up?

If no such option is available, it could be a profitable venture for someone on this board who is an Internet guru.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-10-2011, 22:59   #2
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I know we were told to contact each web site owner and administrator individually in writing, (if we choose to do so), by email or by letter to demand removal of personal information, and that by federal law they must do so. Now, if they are located outside of the USA I don't know what to tell you.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59   #3
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I know we were told to contact each web site owner and administrator individually in writing, (if we choose to do so), by email or by letter to demand removal of personal information, and that by federal law they must do so. Now, if they are located outside of the USA I don't know what to tell you.
Thanks, Hack. Hope all is well up your way.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32   #4
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
As you know, sites of this type are becoming prolific. I don't see much hope in spending a bunch of time trying to keep up with them all, and go through the crap involved with having my info deleted from them. It also looks as though retaliation may be popular these days. Does anyone know of a website to which one could subscribe for a reasonable price, that would automatically withdraw our personal info from all sites of this type, including new sites as they pop up?

If no such option is available, it could be a profitable venture for someone on this board who is an Internet guru.

Any thoughts?
I started thinking about getting personal data removed from these parasites and took a look at how to get off. I found this and it looks like a pretty challenging task:

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1636&page=1

She had 13 sites listed, and it's a huge PIA to get your stuff off, even if you wanted to spend the time. Seems like a ripe topic for legislation, but then we'd have to figure out who's getting money from these leeches...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38   #5
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
I started thinking about getting personal data removed from these parasites and took a look at how to get off. I found this and it looks like a pretty challenging task:

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1636&page=1

She had 13 sites listed, and it's a huge PIA to get your stuff off, even if you wanted to spend the time. Seems like a ripe topic for legislation, but then we'd have to figure out who's getting money from these leeches...
Thanks. I thought about legislation, but was hoping it would be addressed naturally, through supply and demand. I'll go ahead and shoot an email to a congress critter for the heck of it. We have enough on our plate already. It's a crock to have to circle the wagons at home also.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44   #6
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

A lot of information, especially addresses, comes from tax information being sold off since it is available through FOIA. Companies like intellius collect the info and sell it off.

Consider trying to head off the source first and THEN combat what is already out there. Otherwise you are going to be fighting a losing battle. Once one comes down another will go up.

You can put your home mortgage into a trust, obviously don't use your last name in the title of the trust. You can get a PO Box for certain bills if you wish to avoid your name being in databases. You can use your wife's maiden name or a fictitious name for a lot of your bills and expenses. Consider not using your real name in your online social networking for several reasons....Register your license plate and DL to your PD address.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I don't think it is a cops only issue.

The problem is how to you allow the people who should get the information and keep those who shouldn't out.
Old 11-11-2011, 13:32   #8
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I don't think it is a cops only issue.

The problem is how to you allow the people who should get the information and keep those who shouldn't out.
Not a cop only issue in the fact that I believe too many companies are putting out WAY too much information these days on the internet.

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day. A simple arrest for DUI can result in the loss of the bad guys job, marriage, home, prison time, etc. Instead of taking accountability for their own actions - some nut job could blame it all on the cop and go for revenge. The more years you put in on the job the more people you put in prison. A few nuts from OWS movements have even posted the home addresses and tx #'s of officers on the riot lines.
Old 11-11-2011, 13:42   #9
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Not a cop only issue in the fact that I believe too many companies are putting out WAY too much information these days on the internet.

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day. A simple arrest for DUI can result in the loss of the bad guys job, marriage, home, prison time, etc. Instead of taking accountability for their own actions - some nut job could blame it all on the cop and go for revenge. The more years you put in on the job the more people you put in prison. A few nuts from OWS movements have even posted the home addresses and tx #'s of officers on the riot lines.
My point exactly. People like me deal with a 100% concentration of such individuals, thanks to the hard work and commitment of you good folks on the street. It will probably take a few home invasions and other acts of domestic terror before anything is done, and even then I have little confidence in a just outcome.
Old 11-11-2011, 14:20   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post

But, it is a big concern for officers since it only takes one pissed off nut who wants revenge to ruin your day.
Sure some cops deal with scum all day long.

But the police are not the only ones dealing with scum. I will bet I have gotten more people fired for cause than you.
Old 11-11-2011, 14:33   #11
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:

But the police are not the only ones dealing with scum. I will bet I have gotten more people fired for cause than you.
I'm sure you are the biggest of the bad when it comes to IT work. I am confident that people think twice before they type in those google searches or visit non-work related websites when you are on the clock.

If you think it really compares, you need to spend more time off that computer.
Old 11-11-2011, 15:07   #12
Vigilant

Quote:

I myself applaud your efforts. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

What are your views on carrying a service weapon? Should one keep their primary weapon loaded, or would you suggest keeping the primary empty, and relying on one's BUG in case some nut job goes for the primary?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you.
Old 11-11-2011, 15:43   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
I myself applaud your efforts. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

What are your views on carrying a service weapon? Should one keep their primary weapon loaded, or would you suggest keeping the primary empty, and relying on one's BUG in case some nut job goes for the primary?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you.
The Police dept. I support keeps their service weapon loaded. So do the Homeland Security, TSA and ICE officers I interface with. I find it very interesting that most of the officers don't carry a BUG. Then again many can not legally have a sidearm where they live.

Since we are going to take this thread in a different direction.....
Do you use WebEOC to coordinate your efforts across jurisdictions?
How do you deal with DLP issues?
Old 11-11-2011, 15:55   #14
Vigilant

Quote:
The Police dept. I support keeps their service weapon loaded. So do the Homeland Security, TSA and ICE officers I interface with. I find it very interesting that most of the officers don't carry a BUG. Then again many can not legally have a sidearm where they live.

Since we are going to take this thread in a different direction.....
Do you use WebEOC to coordinate your efforts across jurisdictions?
How do you deal with DLP issues?
I handle most of my business from the keyboard, at my secluded abode in my mom's basement. I never dlsclose my resources. My area of operation pertains to Mall Security, and I assure you, I am quite proficient. I hope one day to join the ranks of Law Enforcement.

Thanks again for all that you do.

Your friend,

Merle
Old 11-11-2011, 20:43   #15
Vigilant

Sure did turn quiet in here......
Old 11-11-2011, 21:26   #16
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Not exactly what I was expecting when I opened this topic.