GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2011, 20:13   #1
Hokiegrass

FN SLP vs 930 spx... I have questions, hopefully you guys have...

Answers.. Or at least some opinions.

Looking at the mark 1 and the 930 spx. I know it is an 18 vs 22 inch barrel, but those are the ones that have piqued my interest. I have a few questions though.

What would be a good price on the SLP?
Is the SLP worth the price difference over the 930 in terms of quality and reliability? If I had all the money in the world id probably get an m4, but i dont. Used M1 super 90 and used m2 not out fthe question, but im leaning gas over inertia due to the recoil diff.

Last but not least, happy veterans day to all the retired and active duty service personnel. Thanks for serving this great country!

Last edited by Hokiegrass; 11-11-2011 at 20:14..
Hokiegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 20:33   #2
B.Reid

If you plan to shoot 3 gun get the FN. If it is for fun and HD either will do fine.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 20:42   #3
Hokiegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
If you plan to shoot 3 gun get the FN. If it is for fun and HD either will do fine.
About the same in the reliability dept? Probably more of a fun toy/hd type gun. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-11-2011, 23:08   #4
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

With the FN you are going to get better quality control, but virtually the same gun. The price difference is sizable, the Mossberg is about $300 -$500 cheaper, depending on availability of the FN. You can pick up a used 930SPX for under $550, while a new one might run $550 - $650 depending on where you buy.

As for reliability the Mossberg has come out ahead against the FN in a few tests with one giving favor to the FN.

The 18 inch barrel is and asset, while the 22 inch barrel is a detriment when it comes to HD. The 22 inch barrel will shine if you are going to use it for hunting or shooting clays, but swinging that extra 4 inches around a house could be impossible in tight hallways.

I've had my 930SPX for awhile now and I wouldn't trade it even for a FN if the deal was offered to me, that's about the best statement I can make concerning the difference between the two. I'm particular to my Mossberg so take bare that in mind.
TACTICAL SHOTGUN CLUB #930
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831
DHSGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06   #5
Hokiegrass

Thanks guys. That's the kind of stuff im looking for. As much as i like mark 1, you are correct, it would be a little long for HD. I should really be considering the SLP 18 in. Both about same reliability wise? Is their a big diff in fit and finish? I fondled a FN at a store yesterday. Havent been able to do so with the 930spx. Thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11   #6
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I am biased because I have the M930SPX - but I want to make this completely clear. When I went looking for a shotgun in Jan 2010- a lot of these things need to be considered- I had a (pretty good to great) great job for me at the time- great money for my age and industry, a mile from home , etc. I also had been planning my initial gun purchases for a long time and I had saved a lot of cash to spend, and I did my taxes first week of Jan so I had already received my refund- so I had *several* thousands of dollars strictly dedicated to guns.

I also made the decision to get a home defense shotgun, a top of the line shotgun for combat/home defense/personal protection etc. at AT THE TIME I hadn't a lot of interest in ARs (Now I have definitely got a lot of Black Rifle Disease and I fantasize about having about 6 different ARs at least, to select like golf clubs for the proper 'mission' lol). ... but at thre TIME, I was thinking shotguns and that was what I wanted.

So I initially fell for a Benelli M2 Tactical, and it was $1,300. Probably the only reason I don't own one was I found it at 5:15pm on a Saturday. The NJ NICS stops at 6PM or should I say, no legally selling of guns past 6pm on Saturday, none on SUnday. So the guy was like, look, we HAVE to submit the paperwork to Nics by 5:30 latest to get it rolling and approved to sell the gun by 6pm. So I hate to do it, but you NEED to make a quick decision on the shotgun if you want to take it home tonight (And I ABSOLUTELY would want it then and there if I was buying it.) so I went it looking around, found a $1,300 shotgun, it would have been easyily $1500 after taxes, accessories, and shotgun shells (probably like 1650-1700 more like it). And the Benelli M2 Tac is probably the "coolest' sexayest smoove-like-butta weapon I've held- it REALLY Called to me. But i was raised to not be so stupid to just drop that cash on an instant reaction, at least not if you have any modicum of doubt. My Dad has bought $50G trucks and cars on a whim on the spot, be he did it because he absolutely loved it, and if he had any doubt he would step away and think.

So I passed...that night I talked about it here on glocktalk, and got lots of recommendations... And the FN SLP was something I found on youtube... I could have easily bought it. But it doesn't do it for me. Remember it has two pistons or something ike that, it has a dual-system that you ate having to swap pieces internally for shooting birdshot and low power/low brass loads vs. 00 Buckshot and Slugs. That to me is an instant deal breaker. Plus its longer - 22" vs 18.5" is a big deal in shotguns and ARs and its just a bigger deal than it seems.

The Mossberg 930 SPX was the absolute hottest thing going in early 2010 and I have heard it was that big in 09 too. In Jan / Feb 2010 EVERYONE on GlockTalk was talking about them... no one could find them, no one had them for sale, everyone wanted them... I myself found one accidentally the next day at Dick's SPorting Goods... I had previously purchased a Remington 597 .22LR.. the DIck's closest to me in Princeton had no magazines, they send me to the store closest to me in PA across the river, 20 mins away. Their lodge and gun selection was ENORMOUS compared to nJ..and even though it was 11Am on Super Bowl Sunday there was 100 ppl looking for guns. I happened to rap with the lodge manager, who told me I could indeed buy longguns there easily if I had a Federal firearms ID card and matching DL<which I did.. They had a $899 Benelli m2 field, and I said no I want the more exprensive TAC... the guy says, i have something cool in the back I have been saving for a customer who will respect it... maybe you'd like to see it.. and he comes back with a blue Mossberg box and opens it... M930SPX! It was amazing, I said I'LL TAKE IT on the spot. twenty ppl were suddenly all over I WANT THAT I WILL BUY THAT I HE DOESNT IS HE TAKING THAT< .. HAS HE PAID YET HERE IS MY CREDIT CARD ETC.. lol back up motherb12tches this is MINE!

I cannot stress how perfect my M930SPX has been ,as has been the core of the Shotgun forums ... Mixy, Frankie, M24, etc. -- Some people hacve reported problems, I can't say they're wrong or nitpicking or lyin or anything because there has been reports of major sight cant issues etc. Me personally, my shotgun has been 101% impeccable, hard as nails and tough as a Hummer H1-A, and it runs like a turbocharged diesel engine. I am so glad i didnt waste that extra dough on the M2 Tac and CERTAINLY GLAD I did not buy something expensive that I'd have no interst in like a FN SLP or an 11-87 by Remington.. all I would have been buying in the 11-87 or even an 1100 is the Remington name, not happiness. And as far as how they're not good enough for combat or home defense- that's whatever.. . I defend my house and my family and my heart-and-soul- Australian Cattle Dog with my M930SPX... you can do what you want, my Mossberg has my life and those of my loved ones on it and I feel safe.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46   #7
Hokiegrass

Thanks for the post Scrappy. Im just looking for first hand accounts of the weapon. Ive been reading so much stuff online, good and bad. Ive read good and bad about every each of them. That is just how the internet works, and you never know who has an agenda. As of now, im leaning to the 930 spx due to cost. My only reservation has been the complaints of quality control coming out of the mossberg factory. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 13:03   #8
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

There are a lot of people that have a bone to pick with Mossberg, my suggestion is find one you can finger bang before you buy it. If you can't feel er up, you can at least be reassured the customer service works, it may be spotty at first but they will get it right. Hence the find one you can physically inspect first. After that it's all gravy.

I've posted these before: Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831
Old 11-12-2011, 13:23   #9
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

^ Cowitnessing the factory included LPA Ghost Ring Sight aperature and the Aimpoint Micro

here are my Blacktical Tacticool awesome-sticks--- the M930SPX on top

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Old 11-12-2011, 14:11   #10
hallnh727

I have the mossberg 930spx and I like it alot. It shoots everything I put thru it and use it as my HD gun. I bought it because I wanted semi for toy/hd and this one did everything I wanted it to.
This video is biased towards the mossberg but he gives some good info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPB_3Y5Nws
hallnh727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 14:37   #11
Hokiegrass

Right on. Thanks guys. Nice pics...
Old 11-12-2011, 21:01   #12
megawatt
Electron maker

SPX all the way. Half the cost and I can shoot birdshot and slugs due to its auto regulating gas system without having to make any changes to the gun. No tools required, no flipping over a gas piston based on what type of ammo I am shooting.

Mine has been 100% straight out of the box with all types of ammo. It only takes a minute to check if the front sight and tube extension is straight before buying it. That is about the biggest problem I have heard other internet owners possibly having.
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13   #13
mixflip

I have been making review videos on my Mossberg 930SPX (pistol grip version) for a while now and all I can report is what I personally experienced. And as many here at GT know, mine has run flawlessly even with cheap WalMart low brass birdshot for plinking. I am not exaggerating, mine runs great.

Mine also did not have any of the flaws such as the reports of canted sights. I cleaned it, lubed it and shot the snot out of it.

The only negative issue I have had with it was that I shot it so much that my rear Italian LPA ghost ring sight came loose while I was shooting in the desert. Its gone and now I am out about $100. I was hoping Mossberg would hook me up for all the free press I give them but I got nowhere on that pipe dream lol. Im sure I have sent a few buyers their way over the years.

I would love to own an FN-SLP but I must admit the $600 flawless running 930 I have is hard not to love. Confidence is earned not bought and Mossberg earned my confidence with the 930 I own.

Would I trust another 930 with my life? No but to be fair... I wouldnt trust any gun blindly until I tested it no matter who makes it and no matter how much it costs.

Last edited by mixflip; 11-13-2011 at 02:17..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40   #14
buckhorn_cortez

Once broken in, the SLP will function with 1 oz loads with the heavy gas piston - meaning, you can shoot any load 1 oz and heavier without changing gas pistons. If you wanted to shoot 7/8 oz loads you would have to use the light gas piston. Changing gas pistons takes all of 2-3 minutes and requires no tools other than your fingers.

If you want a gun with an 18-inch barrel, then get the SLP instead of the SLP Mark 1. The SLP comes with an 18-inch barrel. The 3-gun shooters like the Mark 1 because the magazine is longer and holds more rounds.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 11-13-2011 at 12:41..
buckhorn_cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 13:04   #15
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
Once broken in, the SLP will function with 1 oz loads with the heavy gas piston - meaning, you can shoot any load 1 oz and heavier without changing gas pistons. If you wanted to shoot 7/8 oz loads you would have to use the light gas piston. Changing gas pistons takes all of 2-3 minutes and requires no tools other than your fingers.

If you want a gun with an 18-inch barrel, then get the SLP instead of the SLP Mark 1. The SLP comes with an 18-inch barrel. The 3-gun shooters like the Mark 1 because the magazine is longer and holds more rounds.
Yes.
Tactical Shotguns
BL33D 4 M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02   #16
Hokiegrass

Thanks all... I ended up ordering a 930 spx PG. I figure i will buy a bunch of ammo with the savings, and practice a bunch. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2011, 15:05   #17
captcurly

I have a 930SPX and have had no problems with it. It is a great shooter and handles real well. The SPX is real easy to breakdown, clean and maintain. Good luck to you in your decision.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 15:15   #18
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I have been making review videos on my Mossberg 930SPX (pistol grip version) for a while now and all I can report is what I personally experienced. And as many here at GT know, mine has run flawlessly even with cheap WalMart low brass birdshot for plinking. I am not exaggerating, mine runs great.

Mine also did not have any of the flaws such as the reports of canted sights. I cleaned it, lubed it and shot the snot out of it.

The only negative issue I have had with it was that I shot it so much that my rear Italian LPA ghost ring sight came loose while I was shooting in the desert. Its gone and now I am out about $100. I was hoping Mossberg would hook me up for all the free press I give them but I got nowhere on that pipe dream lol. Im sure I have sent a few buyers their way over the years.

I would love to own an FN-SLP but I must admit the $600 flawless running 930 I have is hard not to love. Confidence is earned not bought and Mossberg earned my confidence with the 930 I own.

Would I trust another 930 with my life? No but to be fair... I wouldnt trust any gun blindly until I tested it no matter who makes it and no matter how much it costs.
You sound intelligent, haven't you learned that blue loctite is an asset best used on things that screw onto a firearm or other device. I'm poking fun at you, the first thing I did to those LPA's front & rear was to Loctite upon zeroing.

Folks, Loctite those sight screws, both front and rear. It also pay dividends to mark the screw set point, that way a cursory check verifies the screw hasn't loosened itself under use.
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831

Last edited by DHSGMAN; 11-17-2011 at 15:17..
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50   #19
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Mix I was thinking recently I really am going to get the tritium rear aperature. Probably will leave the front alone, the pic of the tritium front looks like it'd s little weak , small little dot on a small piece for up front , so I'd prob just get te tritium rear.

If you recall I was set on getting tritium front and rear and additonally fiber optic rear so I could have the best of the best - LPA fiber optics in the day use and tritium night sights for home defense erc. But the smart owner gent talked me out of it

I really now want that tritium rear. Lets be honest - at night in a dark room you cannot see sights. My glock 23 Trijicon night Sight were a revalation. It'd be prob judt as great for my 930spx. Neway when i do get it you want to make some arrangement for my aperture I wont need anymore ? I'm sure u got something I'd take for it. ( obviously not much as ur my man)

Old 11-19-2011, 23:50   #20
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

After reading more about it I think I'm going to stay with the factory front sight.
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831

Last edited by DHSGMAN; 11-26-2011 at 18:05..