Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2011, 18:46   #101
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Heck, some people IWB those babies!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56qkjDnXtI4

I don't know about IWBing it but it certainly has it's advantages.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:29   #102
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Each to his own....but the Katana & companion sword are very sharp..

..as is my Rodent Waki..(pic of what mine looks like)

Survival/Preparedness Forum

And well suited to this purpose..(as history sadly points out)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest...ese_with_Sword

http://www.gendercide.org/case_nanking.html
I know those tales well... as I do other tales of the Japanese atrocities... but those are semi-pacified times when the Imperial Army walked around casually doing their inhumane acts with aplomb. The officers had time to rest, sleep, eat relatively well, and lop off heads of Chinese captives who weren't fighting back or moving about in an aggressive manner.

When it's time for the zombie apocalypse, you won't have time to maintain the swords, eat, rest, sharpen the swords, and generally have the strength nor peace of mind to properly use those weapons for any length of time.

You are also conceivably engaging a huge number of fearless zombies who will keep charging you no matter what, so if you swing and it is less than perfect, which is very likely given that you are going to be moving while aiming for a moving target, your sword might get hung up on clothing, bone, tendon, or you might not get a full swing and the sword only cut part way through the neck, or miss and hit the clavicle or even get stuck on part of the skull or you miss entirely on the swing and then what? You are fully exposed to the counter attack of the zombie and the rest of the horde.

How much strength do you have to fight off an unrelenting horde that is not afraid to get hacked up? Swinging a sword around all day takes a lot of endurance. I tried to play with real battle swords and it's not easy.

How much skill do you have to hang on to that sword after a few hacks and it's all tangled up with tissue and dripping blood past the hilt on your hands? How lucky do you have to be to avoid getting hurt yourself while swinging that thing around in an increasingly smaller space as the bodies pile up?

Also, while the average katana blade length of 29" sounds like it's quite a bit, but in reality, it's not nearly enough for comfort. 29" is a little bit shorter than the length of the average male inseam, that is, from your crotch to your ankle. Raise your leg out, look at how far out your ankle is from your body, then imagine that is the sword, you are swinging that and having to use at least the last 10-12" of the blade to make contact to make a clean cut through a neck, which gives you about 17-19" of space between you and the zombie. That's a foot and a half. Not a lot of cushion when you miss or get your blade stuck and the zombie lurches forward for a bite.

Yes, it works great for a little while but the sword is less than ideal for a prolonged battle.

Last edited by lawman800; 11-29-2011 at 00:30..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46   #103
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
When it's time for the zombie apocalypse, you won't have time to maintain the swords, eat, rest, sharpen the swords, and generally have the strength nor peace of mind to properly use those weapons for any length of time.

But I believe it is much easier to decapitate a zombie due to the deteriorated condition & their slow stumbling lunges

As far as rest & peace of mind....Zombie Decapitation would provide just that..

..some people golf, some fish....as for me it is ZD!

As far as sharpening...the Rodent Waki is a very special sword made from a very durable steel..

..G10 Laminate for 1 or 2 hand use...seemingly designed for marathon ZD sessions!

And you mention average reach & inseam...

I am anything but "average"!

Just so you can put an image with the sword..

..and yes...those are normal sized doorways!

YMMV (& hijack off)

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 11-29-2011 at 09:49..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27   #104
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Doesn't matter how tall you are, the stand off distance for a sword blade does not change. If you are using a wakisashi, the blade is even shorter at 18-20" so you only have 6" of extra blade distance between you and the zombie. Way too close for comfort.
Old 11-29-2011, 14:33   #105
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Doesn't matter how tall you are, the stand off distance for a sword blade does not change. If you are using a wakisashi, the blade is even shorter at 18-20" so you only have 6" of extra blade distance between you and the zombie. Way too close for comfort.

It would cease to be challenging with a full sized Katana!

And I have a really long reach to go with the height!

But just to be on the safe side..

..I might need a full body suit of titanium chainmail!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 18:25   #106
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I don't doubt you being able to do it, but for those unfamiliar or untrained with a real fighting sword, they are in for a rude awakening if they think they can become instant samurai by picking up a sword.
Old 11-29-2011, 18:45   #107
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I don't doubt you being able to do it, but for those unfamiliar or untrained with a real fighting sword, they are in for a rude awakening if they think they can become instant samurai by picking up a sword.
I've got all kinds of swords and blades. While I pack a SMIII SRK in my GHB which just replaced my ESEE-5...my Gurkha Kukri is hands down THE best all around blade I've worked with for heavy duty jobs. It'll EASILY lop off a head. Hell, I've chopped a bunch of 5" thick branches with it!

...wasn't this thread about guns though?

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 11-29-2011 at 18:47..
Old 11-30-2011, 20:23   #108
FLA45fan

One handgun that I currently own? . . . Why that's easy - the Kimber 1911 compact and all those Wilson Combat mags . . . no, wait a minute . . . the S&W Thunder Ranch 45acp revolver . . . no, dang it, um the Browning Hi Power two tone and the 15 mags . . . no hold it - the epoxy one instead . . . oh what about the Ruger 357 mag and the speed loaders - hang on you pre-dead bast*$ds, I'll be right with you - the, ah, Carbon 15 pistola in .223 yeah that'll do ya all . . . cr*p what about the XD-45 and associated mags and kydex rig ... no, no, no the Black T'd Sig P220 - or the 220 Compact - no the P220 Combat - yeah that feels just about right . . . but where is my . . . dang it, I just had it . . . where the . . . oh

(reaching to my right hip) that's what I wanted - MY GLOCK 19 - right there all along.

BANG - BANG - BANG - BANG - BANG - BANG - etc.

oodles of G19 and G17 mags, at least one 33 rounder, IWB hoster, Desantis leather, SERPA paddle and thigh rig and mag pouches (just wish I had a .22 conv kit for it)

Second choice is the Sig 220 Combat and .22 conv kit.

Cutter? Why it's my trusty Mk III Mod 0, and a SOG Seal pup running in second place. (there is a carbon SRK in the big bag but it hasn't seen use)

Last edited by FLA45fan; 11-30-2011 at 20:25.. Reason: misspell
FLA45fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 13:54   #109
Narkcop

I pick my 5.7 with 4 twenty & 2 thirty round mags and the 4,000 rounds of SS-197 & SS-192 I have put back.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 20:40   #110
pmwglock19

For me, it would be my G-19 with 10 15 rnd mags and 2 33rnd mags.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 22:36   #111
Stupid

For those of you who intend to use an edged weapon like a katana, you'd better train yourself well before picking it up. 1) A katana is a cutting tool, not a hacking tool, and 2) you'd cut yourself more likely than cut a zombie.

Don't watch too much movie. Most sword fights, particularly with katanas, in movies are deadly wrong. Yes, it may look cool but it would never be my weapon of choice even though I like those katanas very much.

A spear would be much better. Long and pointy so that you couldn't poke yourself. :-)

Back to topic, I would take a Glock 17/19 or XDm in 9mm. Lots ammo in one gun. With Glock, I can get the 33 rd magazine, that should cover myself when I am running away from the zombies.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 22:45   #112
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
With Glock, I can get the 33 rd magazine, that should cover myself when I am running away from the zombies.

You talk about watching too many movies in regard to the sword. However you mention cover fire which would be something you use while running away from zombies.

I'm asking two things here...

1) Do you expect to hit the zombies while running?

OR

2) Will these zombies be phased by your cover fire and maybe be keeping their heads down?

I've just never seen zombies that were worried about getting shot/killed.

-Emt1581
Old 12-25-2011, 22:47   #113
Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
You talk about watching too many movies in regard to the sword. However you mention cover fire which would be something you use while running away from zombies.

I'm asking two things here...

1) Do you expect to hit the zombies while running?

OR

2) Will these zombies be phased by your cover fire and maybe be keeping their heads down?

-Emt1581

haha, if they get too close to me. :-) My personal choice of fighting zombie is entrapment rather than engagement. :-)
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 22:57   #114
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
haha, if they get too close to me. :-) My personal choice of fighting zombie is entrapment rather than engagement. :-)
After I read what you initially wrote I was actually picturing walking dead, resident evil, etc. zombies ducking for cover...

-Emt1581
Old 12-25-2011, 23:03   #115
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Glock 26.

If I come upon a Glock 17/19/34 or any other Glock 9mm, their magazines will work with mine. I just cannot go to the store in those times like I can now.

And 9mm is the most common round, except for .22s
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 23:14   #116
Hour13
Tah-dah!

One handgun? Well, as much as I love my H&K, it would have to be my tried & true G22. I have tons of ammo, and they're both .40s. But the Glock...

I have more mags for it, I've put thousands of rounds down the pipe w/out a single FTF, and I know it'll work for extended periods of time without proper cleaning/upkeep.

Zombie/dead cops & deserted PD stations will provide an endless supply of ammo, mags, & parts/spare guns.

It's slightly lighter, and no external safety. No embarrassing point and "click" moments.

I've had much more practice with it, feel more confident that I'll make the needed head shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32   #117
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
OK....I'll play!

Ummm....one handgun....no rifles....have to possess it now...TEOTWAWKI

My micro-optically sighted, suppressed FNH Five-seveN 5.7x28mm pistol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

..very lightweight & accurate pistol....concealable....low recoil....fast follow-up

..very lightweight titanium suppressor.......sometimes silence truly is golden (especially so with subsonic ammo)

..20 rd magazine capacity...with lots of spare mags..

..will pierce light armor....can penetrate cover that would defeat nearly all common civi-legal combat/self defense pistol rounds..(7.62x25mm being one exception) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmh4vw56Pn8

..good soft tissue performance.....more like a 5.56x45 than a pistol..

..ammo in excess of 2,000 fps with good BC...very flat shooting...more like a rifle....one of my 'pocket rifles'..

..red dot allows for very fast & accurate target acquisition...day or low light/night..

.. ammo is very lightweight and compact...1/2 the weight (or less) of 9x19
2 boxes (100 rds) will easily fit in the palm of my hand...would not be hard for me to tote thousands of rounds in my gear.

..ammo available in AP, subsonic, ballistic tip, etc....have thousands of rounds readily transportable

..& if I have the time & space...I just happen to have a reloading setup with supplies for 5.7x28mm

This!! Plus, I have a PS90 and an AR5.7 rifle, so ammo continuity for the win!!!. Ammo is light and easy to carry in 50 rd rifle and 20 or 30 rd pistol mags.

Downside. It is useable and accurate out to about 150 yds, but that is the limit.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:34   #118
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
You talk about watching too many movies

-Emt1581
Who's watching too many movies??
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:50   #119
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
Who's watching too many movies??
Isn't that what we were joking about, the fact that many watch too many...especially with respect to swords and zombies?

-Emt1581
Old 12-26-2011, 17:46   #120
oily_oink
###########

H&K USP 45
Old 12-28-2011, 17:52   #121
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

My S&W .44mag with a 4 inch barrel.
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 17:15   #122
caprice

Glock 17 with Trijicon RMR milled into the slide and a X300 attached. At least 7 spare 17rnd magazines and a couple of 33 rounders.

Good as you can get for distance work with a pistol (due to RMR) the X300 is easy to remove should you need concealment and even with the RMR milled into the slide the G17 is fairly easily hidden with the right holster/concealment location.

Second choice is a Glock 19 set up the same way. The only difference is that the Glock 17 is-for me- easier to shoot rapidly. The G19 is slightly easier to conceal.
caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 18:39   #123
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible68 View Post
I know this topic has been batted around before, but I've noticed those threads usually turn into long lists of all the guns people own, want to own or dream existed. So here's how I want to work it.

1) The world has gone to Hades in a hand basket. North Korean Nazi Hippie Zombies have engulfed the planet and you only have time to grab ONE gun.

2) For our purposes, you are unable to have a rifle, shotgun, machine gun, musket, flamethower, MRLS system, main battle tank, fighter aircraft with attendant carrier, professional armed forces or ICBMs. YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE HANDGUN.

3) You must already own this gun.

4) Once you've made your selection, explain why you have picked the handgun you picked.

I'll go first. I'd grab my Glock 17. Why?

1 The G17 holds 17+1 in 9mm. This round is nominally more available and lighter to carry in bulk. More bullets equals more firepower. No caliber wars here - the 9mm will get the job done if I do my part.

2) Can conceal it if I really have to IWB. I also have two OWB holsters as well.

3) I have a spare parts kit for repairs. I also have four mags.

4) The gun is durable, reliable and can solider though lack of maintenance more than most. (Might not be a lot of Hoppes #9 after the mushroom clouds clear up.)

How about you all?
I have waited for this thread to die off before I answered but that may never happen... so, I add my .02 and say that I agree with the original post that you can not beat a Glock 17. My reasons are about the same but specifically:

1) 17 rounds in a magazine.
2) In TEOTWAIKI it's going on a thigh holster or my vest with a lot of magazines.
3) It always works, you don't even need to clean it.
4) 9mm is an excellent round that is common and will do those NK Zeds right.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 17:23   #124
shotgunred
reloading nut

My G23 with my 9mm conversion barrel in my pocket.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 18:14   #125
arclight610

1911 for me, Taurus 357 mag for the wife.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote