Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 13:39   #1
cciman

Boresighter experiences

I want a boresighter for use on my ARs and AKs that have muzzle brakes. I want to be able to sight red dot and iron sight before going to the range.

What is a good one you have used? A laser that is actually centered?

My previous experience with a Bushnell arbor tip laser was terrible, You could see that the laser was not even physically centered in the tip of the device- and the point moved to a different spot each time you put it in.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 15:44   #2
HAIL CAESAR

None of the bore sighters are worth a plug nickle.

I usually get a big box and shoot one round at 25 yards. Then move the sights to the hole, minus sights over bore measurement. That gets you on the money at 50 and even a 100 for further fine tuning.
Old 11-13-2011, 16:29   #3
Clint-M

As stated, get on paper at 25 and work your way back to wherever you'd like to be sighted and zero it in.

CM
Clint-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 16:40   #4
Jerry

After using a friends, I bought a Cabela’s. The one that slides in from the muzzle end with 4 plastic adaptors for different boar sizes. It gets me close enough. I put it in look through scope pull it out rotate it ¼ turn and repeat 4 or 5 times so I can pick an approximate center because the dot does move left to right and up and down about an inch or so at 25’.

Then I sight in at the range the way I always have. Target at 25’ usually 2 or 3 shots puts me close enough to go to 50 or 100 yards depending on caliber. Usually within 2” high, low, right or left.

I like how it’s advertised. Good for checking your sights at the hunting camp before a hunt. Only of you want to miss that 100 yard shot. I “might” trust it in and emergency for a 50 yard shot but probably not.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 16:41   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I used a Bushnell model for about ten years! Was awesome!
It finally died, have not replaced it
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 16:54   #6
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
None of the bore sighters are worth a plug nickle.

I usually get a big box and shoot one round at 25 yards. Then move the sights to the hole, minus sights over bore measurement. That gets you on the money at 50 and even a 100 for further fine tuning.
Usually I agree with you, but you are not even on paper as far as this thread goes. OP- I use a Laserlyte boresite for my 22-250 and 243 hunting rifles, they are awesome. They come with different adapters for calibers and instructions. They help you move the crosshairs by the scope mounts before even touching windage knobs. Only fine adjustments are needed after a good boresite has been used. Following the instructions gets you zeroed in about 9 rounds. They work fantastic.
Old 11-13-2011, 17:14   #7
cowboy1964

I have a Sightmark laser boresight for my .223. Works well enough. It goes into the chamber, not on top of the barrel or anything goofy like that. Gets the initial shots to within a few inches of where it should be. It eats batteries though so stock up (the batteries are cheap).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-13-2011 at 17:15..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 18:31   #8
MR. TWISTER

After bad results at the gunshop I work at with the laser we went back to the Bushnell with the grid and have had good feedback about the results. Unless you remove the muzzle Break/flash hider on an AR it can be very difficult to contact much of the barrel with the arbor resulting in a very poor bore sighting job.

Brandon
1911 Club #89
MR. TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 00:30   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Mine works perfectly as it should, bering me close to intended poi and I can dial in the rounds as needed at the range. Compared to me doing it without the boresighter, I would day it saved me quite a bit of rounds at the range and paid for itself.

Heck, with my m4gery, I put the eotech dot on the boresighter dot and took it to appleseed and put rounds on target at the simulated long range shots with no problems!
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:03   #10
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have used the Bushnell one for years and it always gets me within a couple minutes. Best $40 I could have spent.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05   #11
Gunnut 45/454

I've never had one but when I bought my Sav 11 I had the shop mount and boresite my scope. So I went right to 50 yards when I shot it the first time, it was pretty close but I still had to put rounds down range so I really didn't see the benefit of doing it. Besides putting rounds down range is just more fun.

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 11-14-2011 at 10:07..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54   #12
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
I've never had one but when I bought my Sav 11 I had the shop mount and boresite my scope. So I went right to 50 yards when I shot it the first time, it was pretty close but I still had to put rounds down range so I really didn't see the benefit of doing it. Besides putting rounds down range is just more fun.
That’s pretty much what most of the slide in the muzzle lasers will get you. Just put a Sig red-dot on my new Sig 522. I sited at home with laser as I described in my other post. At the range, target at 25’ I took the bull’s eye out. Moved to 25 yards 1/2” right 1” high. Pretty darn good for government work.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 11-14-2011 at 11:55..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote