SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 19:57   #1
gunz

Delta Elite Maintenance Schedule and Weight

All,

I recently picked up a NIB Delta Elite. Having never owned a 10mm 1911, I am wondering, what is the spring replacement schedule for the pistol?
Is it the same as a full size 1911 5000 rounds and change all?
Is it more like a commander or compact and change the recoil spring at every 2,000 and change the rest at every 5,000?
Is the factory spring sufficient for full power 10mm loads, ex. 180grs. @1300fps?
If not, what spring weight do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2011, 21:09   #2
danattherock

Look forward to following this post. Bought a Delta Elite the other day myself and have been reading a good bit lately. This is my first 1911 so I am pretty green to much of what I have read. Heard about shock buffers or something from Wilson Combat, but never heard of them till the other day. Read where some folks change their springs out every 5,000 or so rounds. Read where someone suggested much of the potential damage was on the forward slide motion due to the strong recoil springs. Also read that these are issues with the very old models of this gun and today it is a moot point. Much confusion on my end and I welcome the opportunity to get the air cleared a bit. Pretty hard to make sense of so many varying opinions.

-Dan
Old 11-14-2011, 02:44   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

If you change the guide rod to a 45 acp partt,
you can use standard single spring recoil assemblies.
Factory weight is 23 pounds.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05   #4
swinokur

I would not use a shock buffer in a SD gun. I had one disintegrate and jam my 1911
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:16   #5
Jitterbug

I'd give Colt a call and see what they say...then purchase a spare or two. I'm sure they've given it a bit of thought over the years.

Don't know what the new Delta's are running, plastic guide rod? Dual spring?

Some actually thought the old plastic guide rod was a good idea since it reputedly absorbed recoil and was "sacrificial"...

I wouldn't want to second guess Wilson, but shock buff's have mixed reports...like jamming up 1911's. Probably fine for strictly range use, but I don't know, never used one.

I know it's oranges and tangerines, but I run a #22 pound spring in my 10mm Commander, and I change it out about every 750 or so rounds, whether it needs it or not, $8.99 or so from Wolff's.

The D.W. Commander has a short steel guide rod and single recoil spring.

Also, I give the gun a decent clean every 100 or so rounds, (I shoot a lot of hard cast) and generally run it a wee bit wet when I can, often putting a drop of FP10 on the rails before going out if I remember it, otherwise I make sure it has a dab of TW25b on it

Last edited by Jitterbug; 11-14-2011 at 07:23..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote