Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2011, 22:40   #1
chevy01234

Deer so far..

Started out Friday afternoon with a friend of mine at his farm and had an absolute blast! Shot 3 out there with my 35 Whelen (DMAP deer hence the tags on them)

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

What didn't make it to the processor! We cooked two of them last night at another buddies camp and they didn't last long at all!

Went to my farm this afternoon to shoot a doe for my mom's friend. We are getting it processed for her as an early Christmas gift.

I am really growing fond of my 35 Whelen, Ol Black Betty hasn't let me down yet!
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 23:03   #2
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Great deer! Thanks for realizing the benefit of anterless kills and helping do your part to manage the population. I've got a chance to hunt next year on property with nearly 50 DMAP tags. Everything we kill is getting donated to the local food pantry for the needy.

And the .35 Whelen is such a great cartridge too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 23:18   #3
chevy01234

Thanks man, the property I killed the three on needs to kill 120 does this year per the biologist! Pretty wild! Their neighbors are supposed to kill right at 300 does this year. They have an unbelievable deer herd to say the least!

My farm is in need of thinning the herd as well albeit not on the scale my buddies place is but we still need to remove 20-25 does this year at minimum. We have killed 6 the past two days of hunting out there. I am planning on killing all my allowed does with the 35 whelen. I am going to try and kill two or three more this week. It is just a matter of getting out there and getting it done. I have 4 deer at the processor now so the rest will be given to folks who need them.

I am hoping to get back down to my buddies place and help them out. I am not a "horn hunter" and I enjoy shooting the does just as much as bucks! Got to get as many deer down as I can before duck season opens up because my focus shifts then!

Thanks for the kind words! I actually just got back from Battle Creek, Michigan last Saturday! Was up there working for a couple months. May be going back around April!
Old 11-13-2011, 23:48   #4
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Wow, that's a lot of tags! I'd love to be able to shoot that many. I'm a meat hunter but my county (Keweenaw) has a no anterless rule, so it's buck only. Stupid management. Population is growing and the hunters shooting bucks only, plus the coyotes and wolves can't keep the numbers in check so many deer starve to death during the harsh winters.

I hunt on my in-laws' 140acre farm. I wish I could apply for DMAP tags but they won't let me as they are old school "you only shoot bucks" and don't understand population management principles. They don't care if the deer are overpopulated. That just means more deer for them to hunt, but they don't realize the impact of that. More deer than the land can sustain means less deer due to starvation and predation. I stopped trying to talk sense into them. It's no use.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52   #5
SFCSMITH(RET)

It's funny how different herd management can be from state to state.. Here we have zones by county, last year my property became zone 2 so I can take 1 antlered and 3 does, but previously we were zone 1, which means 1 antlered, 1 doe on first tag, then bonus tags for $5 get two more does.. and you can fill as many bonus tags as you want.. there are zone 3 and zone 4 counties also, they get shorter seasons, and some equipment restrictions also. I don't hunt any of those counties.. so have never memorized the rules for them..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I've killed two does this year. One with my longbow early in the season at about 15 yards. Smallest deer I've ever shot. I killed a huge doe on the first morning of modern gun at about 280 yards using my .257 Roberts and missed one of the biggest deer I've ever seen on my farm at around 300 yards because I was holding for 200 yards... Two prone shots, both shots broke clean and the deer just stood there looking around and finally bolted. At the moment he took off I realized I was shooting in the dirt because I held dead on for a 200 yard zero... And I have made that same shot on a nice 10 pointer in that field in 2005...but I was sitting on stand and was prepared. Saturday I was on the way to the stand and before I crossed a big alfalfa field I thought it might be a good idea to scan the field with my binos and sure enough in the little bit of light of the early morning I see 5 deer at the far end--3 does, a fork horn and the big bruiser... I dropped my pack, crawled out into the field and took the shots--without really thinking... Dang.

I will say this is the third year I've hunted with the .257 Roberts and I really like the cartridge. The 148# doe (she was huge!) I shot Saturday was typical. I hit her broadsides with a handloaded 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip that destroyed both lungs and took out two ribs as it exited. She ran 40 yards with her tail down--I could see the blood spot on her side-- and piled up just before she made it to the woodline.
The .257 Bob ain't a barn burner but it gets the job done as well as any rifle I've killed deer with and is very pleasant to shoot.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 14:39   #7
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

My brother and his son went out behind the ranch house here the other day, and the little guy culled out this 8 pt with a 22-250. His first buck 'still hunting'. He's pretty happy. Dad is real proud. Ha.

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 23:05   #8
JML2365

I shot this one the opening morning of Minnesota's shotgun season. Taxidermist rough scored it at 184.

Old 11-14-2011, 23:15   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML2365 View Post
I shot this one the opening morning of Minnesota's shotgun season. Taxidermist rough scored it at 184.

Nice buck man....
Keep up the good work !

CM

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46   #10
minnshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML2365 View Post

Holy Crap! That's a nice deer. I wish they got that big over on the western side of the state! I am headed out for the muzzleloader season soon!
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 21:38   #11
K.Kiser

Very nice indeed... I'm not a horn hunter, but I can and do appreciate quality specimen...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 19:02   #12
chevy01234

Nice deer fellas! I haven't been in a week or so, got busy and haven't had time! Going to try and get after em tomorrow! It's almost duck season!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy01234 View Post
Nice deer fellas! I haven't been in a week or so, got busy and haven't had time! Going to try and get after em tomorrow! It's almost duck season!

Time to break out the Labs !

Good huntin amigo !

CM