GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 23:12   #1
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Underwood's expanding their 10mm selection...

Ever since I got my first couple boxes of Underwood 10mm ammo, I've been quite impressed with it, you cannot beat the power they offer for the price in factory ammo, not even close. Underwood 10mm is more powerful than most BB and DT loads, for Remington UMC prices.

Anyway, I've been excited to see when they would add to their selection of 10mm loads and today I noticed this product on their webpage "coming soon": https://www.underwoodammo.com/shop/i...52&Category=19

135gr nosler jhp @ ~1600fps for $27.71/50? Fuuuuuuck yeah!!



If Underwood keeps it up, they will dominate the full-power 10mm market, and, considering the difference in price between their stuff and BB, DT, etc.. I don't see that as a bad thing.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-14-2011 at 23:40..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 23:36   #2
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
I dont understand how theyre able to price like that...they gotta be taking a loss on 10mm just to get the business, I dunno how else to explain it. That, or they are buying in some ridiculous bulk amounts!
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 23:42   #3
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
I dont understand how theyre able to price like that...they gotta be taking a loss on 10mm just to get the business, I dunno how else to explain it. That, or they are buying in some ridiculous bulk amounts!
Bulk purchasing certainly plays a part. You have noticed the rest of their website, right?

ETA: they've actually lowered the prices on their other 10mm since I bought mine a few weeks ago.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-14-2011 at 23:44..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 00:07   #4
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Looks like some great stuff for the average 10mm shooter. Has anyone chronographed their ammo? I'd like to see if it's really making full velocity. Also, it somewhat scares me that they are pushing out full-power ammo in what must be mass quantities. To make ammo that cheap, they must be pumping it out automatically. With full power charges, that could cause issues.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 00:25   #5
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Looks like some great stuff for the average 10mm shooter. Has anyone chronographed their ammo? I'd like to see if it's really making full velocity. Also, it somewhat scares me that they are pushing out full-power ammo in what must be mass quantities. To make ammo that cheap, they must be pumping it out automatically. With full power charges, that could cause issues.
Underwood's claimed velocities are proven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEmzTPVj-o

I thought more people had seen this guy's videos. Apparently not. I recommend watching several of them and examining his spreadsheet. The data's all there, and particularly applicable to Glock 10mm pistols.

Go ahead and look around. Underwood sells ammo in dozens of calibers and I've never read of a problem with their products. Reviews are all glowing. It appears they really do carefully load everything they sell, (as they claim to).

I've fired a few hundred rnds of Underwood 10mm now without a single problem or even a hint of overpressure, so I'll be the forum guinea pig. I'm backordering a couple hundred rnds of Underwood 135gr nosler, and I never backorder anything!
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-15-2011 at 02:25..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 00:39   #6
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
I saw that guy's videos back about a year ago. I didn't realize he was still making new ones. Obviously, this one is new. That's awesome that their ammo makes velocity and is cheap. Their bullet selection is the one area that could be improved. Those are Zero bullets in the cheap-o rounds, and the Golden Sabers are not ideal, especially at those speeds. The 135gr Nosler JHPs will be a good option.

Watching that video and reexamining his spreadsheet reminds me how crappy Double Tap is. They should get sued for their lies. What crap. I hate false advertisement.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 00:55   #7
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I saw that guy's videos back about a year ago. I didn't realize he was still making new ones. Obviously, this one is new. That's awesome that their ammo makes velocity and is cheap. Their bullet selection is the one area that could be improved. Those are Zero bullets in the cheap-o rounds, and the Golden Sabers are not ideal, especially at those speeds. The 135gr Nosler JHPs will be a good option.

Watching that video and reexamining his spreadsheet reminds me how crappy Double Tap is. They should get sued for their lies. What crap. I hate false advertisement.
I agree that their bullet selection could be better, but as you can see, it is already improving.

By "cheap-o rounds", do you mean the 180gr FMJs? Zero bullets? That's a brand name? Anyway.. I can tell you that those rounds penetrate quite well and are a good deal for the money. They're "cheap" enough that you can do whatever you want with em, just punch paper or bust up a cinderblock into ~4 pieces with 2 shots.

I don't give a damn about the Golden Sabers. Those are the "expensive" rounds.

I like the 180gr loads and the 165gr JHP, (Winchester bullets). I anticipate loving the 135gr noslers.. considering their power, at that price; how could ya not?
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05   #8
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
I just ordered 150rds of the 180gr fmj's...cant wait to try em out. I realize the fmj's will likely fragment before making much meaningful penetration, but for the price I cant wait to shoot all that full power stuff!

p.s. dont tell mudrush...
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 11-15-2011 at 01:11..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17   #9
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
I just ordered 150rds of the 180gr fmj's...cant wait to try em out. I realize the fmj's will likely fragment before making much meaningful penetration, but for the price I cant wait to shoot all that full power stuff!

p.s. dont tell mudrush...
Heh, I didn't realize that you hadn't fired any Underwood yet. Prepare to be very well satisfied, especially for the price!

Underwood is loaded in new Starline brass, so the casings you recover are dependably reloadable, (several times).

Forgive my ignorance, but 10mm FMJ bullets loaded to full-power fragment before penetrating that much? I guess the distinction doesn't matter much when it comes to 10mm fire against hard cover, as I already know that the Underwood 10mm FMJ rounds do quite well against brick/cinderblock... reducing cover into concealment better than any other service caliber pistol.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31   #10
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by post-apocalyptic View Post
Heh, I didn't realize that you hadn't fired any Underwood yet. Prepare to be very well satisfied, especially for the price!

Underwood is loaded in new Starline brass, so the casings you recover are dependably reloadable, (several times).

Forgive my ignorance, but 10mm FMJ bullets loaded to full-power fragment before penetrating that much? I guess the distinction doesn't matter much when it comes to 10mm fire against hard cover, as I already know that the Underwood 10mm FMJ rounds do quite well against brick/cinderblock... reducing cover into concealment better than any other service caliber pistol.
Yes, cheap, non-bonded fmj's shear off their outer jacket and fragment relatively easily. I shot at a tv with a 180gr fmj's a few times once...I expected it to put a clean hole straight through it, instead, it hit the glass and pretty much blew apart. I didnt find any big pieces left of it. It did make a hole in the glass, but that was it...
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39   #11
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Yes, cheap, non-bonded fmj's shear off their outer jacket and fragment relatively easily. I shot at a tv with a 180gr fmj's a few times once...I expected it to put a clean hole straight through it, instead, it hit the glass and pretty much blew apart. I didnt find any big pieces left of it. It did make a hole in the glass, but that was it...
Huh..

Yeah, that result suprises me. What velocity were those flying at?
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58   #12
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
1200, supposedly...
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10   #13
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
1200, supposedly...
A bit slow, then. Underwood 180gr FMJ flies at just over 1300fps, (or faster if you have a longer barrel, Glock or aftermarket), and fuucks sh1t up nicely, at least in my experience. Like I said, prepare to be well satisfied with your purchase.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-15-2011 at 02:12..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51   #14
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by post-apocalyptic View Post
A bit slow, then. Underwood 180gr FMJ flies at just over 1300fps, (or faster if you have a longer barrel, Glock or aftermarket), and fuucks sh1t up nicely, at least in my experience. Like I said, prepare to be well satisfied with your purchase.
I have no doubt
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24   #15
Crosseyed Shooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 112
I used the chrony on my Underwood purchase on Friday. The 180 fmj averaged just over 1400 fps and the 165 hp averaged just over 1550 fps. This is out of my Kimber Eclipse with 5" barrel.
Crosseyed Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19   #16
rcd567
Senior Member
 
rcd567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Near Glenwood, Iowa
Posts: 323
I've been shooting their 165 grain bullets and have ordered a bunch more. I don't really care how they get them so cheap, only that they are the best bang for the buck that I can find.

I believe someone in an earlier thread emailed them about their bullets and they responded that the bullets were Winchester. Granted not a bonded, premium, uber tactical, thermal nuclear, plutonium type bullet. But for what I'm doing, they are just fine.
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man, if he's too tired to fight, he'll just kill you.
rcd567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 20:22   #17
SolidBrass
Against Shiny
 
SolidBrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 310
Yes, they are as good as claimed, and if people keep pumping them up online they will be priced like DT in no time. I'm torn between giving them the credit they deserve and keeping it on the low down.
drsjr1969 on youtube has all the 10mm chronos.
__________________
A free people ought to be armed.
~George Washington
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 20:51   #18
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Yes, they are as good as claimed, and if people keep pumping them up online they will be priced like DT in no time. I'm torn between giving them the credit they deserve and keeping it on the low down.
drsjr1969 on youtube has all the 10mm chronos.
Actually man, the reverse is true, assuming Kevin Underwood is a capitalist.

Greater demand should lower the price, assuming materials are not scarce, (and they're not). The fact that Underwood has lowered the price of their 10mm in the last couple months, (they've sold a lot more ammo since they got a good website up), bears out my argument.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-15-2011 at 21:26..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 21:18   #19
G29SF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 223
I ordered 8 boxes of 10mm from Underwood today. I like what you guys are saying about them. Can't wait to try them out.
__________________
G20SF: 10mm KKM, .40 S&W KKM, .357 Sig KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 22# spring, Arredondo +4 mag extension
G29SF: 10mm KKM; 9x25 Dillon LWD; 23# spring, Pearce +0 pinky grip
G33: Pearce +0 pinky grip
G32 Gen4
G29SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 22:19   #20
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,579
Call it a margin loss leader. Buy if your not a reloader.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
10mm, 10mm ammo, g20, underwood
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 770
184 Members
586 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31