Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2011, 20:06   #1
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Anywhere in San Antonio carry this weird ammo?

Ok, just picked up two Savage rifles, need you guys' help here. One of them is chambered in the somewhat elusive 6.5x284 Norma round.

I'm itching to take this to the range this weekend, but the few online sites that carry this round want $15-$20 for next day shipping. This is already a very expensive caliber, lol.

Does anybody know where I could find some of this ammo in San Antonio?

Thanks for any help!

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 22:33   #2
foxhole18

I'm in san antonio & I carry weird ammo but it's not that. I suggest the SAXET gunshow..
foxhole18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 22:39   #3
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

sdfsda

Last edited by muscles; 07-25-2012 at 22:09..
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 23:08   #4
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
no advice on factory ammo. i would love to own a savage in 6.5x284 norma. let us know how it shoots! hope your range goes to at least 1000 yards.
Ya, I'm pretty excited about trying her out.

Caliber Corner

I took the 110 out on Monday(.223 is no problem, lol), thing is a frikin nail driver. Probably won't be keeping the F-class very long, but I'm gonna get some of that Norma ammo, and have some fun with her for awhile at least!

Caliber Corner

Quote:
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Old 11-17-2011, 23:35   #5
fredj338

BlackHills loads it as does HSM, but you are probably better off trying on line. That is truely a handloading round. http://www.black-hills.com/bhg_calibers.php
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/defa...43_14910_17106
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 23:58   #6
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
...That is truely a handloading round...
And a real barrel burner. Expect about 1,000 to 1,500 rds. of gilt edge accuracy as it's primarily a 1,000 yd. target round. They really burn barrel throats quickly.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 00:05   #7
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
That is truely a handloading round.
Ya, I know, and it's certainly not a "plinking" gun, haha! I'm keeping the 110, just bought both guns to help a friend who was in a crunch. But I definitely want to try her out while I have it.

I tell you what though, that "AccuTrigger" is pretty damn slick for an out-of-the-box setup, can't wait to get a bit of trigger time with it.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15   #8
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If anyone does, Nagel's might have some in the huge ammo hoard.

Used to work there, they had some wild stuff stashed away.

But an odd load like that.....expect to order online.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:51   #9
CCV

Try Dury's Gun shop
CCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31   #10
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Thanks guys, I'll give those shops a try.

If I find some, I'll take her out today or tomorrow. I'll take the camera, let y'all know how she does.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57   #11
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Got the ammo! Nagels & Dury's were closed today, lol. But I called Cabela's, and they had it. Drove up there and picked up a box(and a few other goodies of course). On the right is a .223 round, DWARFED by the 6.5x284 on the left.
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner

Getting everything ready for tomorrow's range trip, and Harley seems to be taking a liking to the 110.

"Hmm, this should shut the damn dog up..."
Caliber Corner

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 23:33   #12
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Went to my usual range, which at night, only has the 100yd section open. But given the 15mph+ crosswind, I'm pretty happy!

3 rounds... 2 holes. Frikin sweet.
Caliber Corner

Please excuse my ghetto target, lol. Was shooting several rifles tonight, so I used a Sharpie to break one target into several. Saves me multiple long walks down the range.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-22-2011, 13:02   #13
Gunnut 45/454

Hour13
Wow thats one accurate rifle- looks like you need to get into a match or two and see what it does at 1000 yards!! Those Savages really shoot I've only had the Hunter Models and was never disappointed with there accuracy out of the box! Currently have the Hunter 11 in .223 Rem and it a tac driver!
Old 11-22-2011, 23:20   #14
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Hour13
Wow thats one accurate rifle- looks like you need to get into a match or two and see what it does at 1000 yards!! Those Savages really shoot I've only had the Hunter Models and was never disappointed with there accuracy out of the box! Currently have the Hunter 11 in .223 Rem and it a tac driver!
Ya, my other Savage is a 110 LE in .223 and I LOVE that rifle! The big 12 is really cool, but the 110 is so fun to shoot(and easier to lug around, lol). The first time I took it to the range, was my first time peering through a scope in almost 20yrs. 3" group at 100yds, couldn't believe it.

Really impressed with the level of quality Savage puts into these guns.

Thought about trying my hand at match shooting... but I've got enough expensive hobbies!

But a friend of mine's uncle has some land, we're going to set up, and see how far out the 12 can run.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13   #15
Gunnut 45/454

Hour13
Yep I looked at the Model 12 but the wt was just too much to think about carring it around for yotes! Great bench gun but not for hunting! This Hunter is my first accutrigger as well my old 110F '06 didn't have it , but still shot .5-1" groups regularly with my handloads !
Old 11-27-2011, 21:32   #16
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Hour13
Yep I looked at the Model 12 but the wt was just too much to think about carring it around for yotes! Great bench gun but not for hunting! This Hunter is my first accutrigger as well my old 110F '06 didn't have it , but still shot .5-1" groups regularly with my handloads !
You aren't kidding man, AWESOME rifle, but it weighs a frikin ton. Definitely a match gun, I'd hate to have to drag that thing around in the brush.

Same goes for my 110 really. That 24" heavy barrel makes it a nail driver off a bipod, but I can't imagine shooting it from a standing/kneeling position.

Once I find a new home for the 12, really considering adding a Hunter to the closet.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-27-2011, 21:56   #17
dkf

With a round like the 6.5x284 you need to reload my friend.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 23:32   #18
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
With a round like the 6.5x284 you need to reload my friend.
Oh ya, if I was keeping it I would, I got the reloading dies with the gun. Buying this ammo new, long term? Nuts to that. I just wanted to try it out for fun. And since I planned on selling it, I wanted to put a pile of ammo through it first. I don't like selling anything unless I have 100% faith in it.

Quote:
Quote: