Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:36   #1
trlcavscout

Bullet mold for 9mm Glocks

I have shot a lot of lead through my Glocks but didn't start casting until I got into the 44's and 45's, now I picked up another Glock 19 so I will be casting 9mm. Which mold do you guys use? Probably stay around the 124gr. I had a 147gr limon (older) mold that I had used to cast a bunch of .358 bullets and I still have a bunch of those I can size but I got rid of the mold and gun a while ago, but that mold stuck so bad it was horrible trying to get the bullets out even after smoking it repeatedly.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52   #2
happie2shoot

This is a good one, my favorite so far.

It's for a 38/357 but works super in the 9mm,
have shot it at 1685pfs in a 357sig with a six
inch barrel, three shots in less than one inch
at 33yds, they were powder coated.

The flat on the end is better than a RN if you
had to shoot something that needed snuffed
out.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ld-358-125-RF-

happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45   #3
21Glock

I don't cast for 9mm yet, but I've had great success with my LEE 6 cavity molds for my Glocks in 10mm/.40 cal and .45.
I may get a Gen 4 17 or 19 in the next year or so for my growing stable. Love'em all!

Takes a while to get the LEE aluminum molds up to temp, but once you do, you can cast a big pile of bullets quick. Most all of them are keepers.
I was looking at some 9mm molds recently and liked the SWC or TC design. Although, I wish LEE made a round nose .40 cal. design. My Gen 4 10mm likes the LEE SWC .40 better than the TC design. Can always go to accurate molds for their custom molds. Not too bad on the price though from them.
It's ironic, my first Glock when they came out back in 80s was a 1st Gen G17. I wish I still had that gun. I reloaded for that one, I believe only jacketed bullets at the time.
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 13:57   #4
Colorado4Wheel

I have the 125gr Lee mold. It's a little to big for 9mm but Lee stuff varies a lot in mold dept. If it was a little smaller it would be perfect for 9mm. I had bad luck with Lyman. I eventual had a custom mold made by Tom at accurate molds. Good stuff.

Ignore Text Size....posting from a phone.
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 16:11   #5
dkf

If you have the money to spend on a mold of better quality than than Lee I highly recommend it. The Lee tumble lube 9mm bullets don't always play well with Glock barrels and a lot of guys have found accuracy is not the greatest in their guns. You'll want a mold that drops at least .358" so you can see what your barrel likes.

The Mihec 125gr 9mm is a good one. NOE and Accurate both offer several good 9mm designs also in the 124gr range. They are all way more than a Lee 6 cavity mold but the price difference is worth it.

Last edited by dkf; 03-08-2015 at 16:13..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 22:55   #6
bigsteve113

I've had good success with the LEE .357 125gr LRN in my G19. Shoots quite well in the stock Glock barrel.

Last edited by bigsteve113; 03-10-2015 at 22:56..
bigsteve113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59   #7
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve113 View Post
I've had good success with the LEE .357 125gr LRN in my G19. Shoots quite well in the stock Glock barrel.
That way my experience as well. However, age and pure laziness have resulted in my buying bullets for handguns. I now only cast rifle calibers such as 38-55, 45-70, 43 Spanish, etc.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:17   #8
trlcavscout

Thanks for the info, I never thought of useing cast 357 bullets, I have a bucket of those in 147gr RN I will use up before I buy a mold.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01   #9
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
I don't cast for 9mm yet, but I've had great success with my LEE 6 cavity molds for my Glocks in 10mm/.40 cal and .45.
I may get a Gen 4 17 or 19 in the next year or so for my growing stable. Love'em all!

Takes a while to get the LEE aluminum molds up to temp, but once you do, you can cast a big pile of bullets quick. Most all of them are keepers.
I was looking at some 9mm molds recently and liked the SWC or TC design. Although, I wish LEE made a round nose .40 cal. design. My Gen 4 10mm likes the LEE SWC .40 better than the TC design. Can always go to accurate molds for their custom molds. Not too bad on the price though from them.
It's ironic, my first Glock when they came out back in 80s was a 1st Gen G17. I wish I still had that gun. I reloaded for that one, I believe only jacketed bullets at the time.
If you stick the end of your mold in the hot lead it will heat
up much quicker, I don't even cast a boolit until the mold is
hot.

If it gets too hot just put the end of the mold in cool water,
I always have the five gallon on cold water handy because
most of my boolits are water quenched from the mold.:wavey
Old 03-11-2015, 08:11   #10
happie2shoot

If your chambers are big enough, a fatter boolit is Usually better than a smaller one,
some 9mm need .359'' boolits.

I have reamers to open up chambers and throats for many common calibers.

Many Lee molds are under sized but there are easy ways to make them cast bigger
and if you get a good Lee mold you will be able to cast thousands of good boolits.

Some of my molds would cost 500.+ to replace and some of my Lee molds make just
as good boolits.

Remember if you get a mold from lee for a .357 the chances of getting an under sized
boolit for a 9mm have gone down.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33   #11
Idaho Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post

out.

I have this in 6 cavity. Works in three 9 mm's at my house, but never could get it to work in a 659 Smith with a non-existent throat. They do have to be seated fairly deep in some guns. Be sure to make proper adjustment of powder charge (down) in such cases and work up. BTW, these drop at close to 130 grs. for me with present (soft) alloy. I size to 357.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:50   #12
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
I have this in 6 cavity. Works in three 9 mm's at my house, but never could get it to work in a 659 Smith with a non-existent throat. They do have to be seated fairly deep in some guns. Be sure to make proper adjustment of powder charge (down) in such cases and work up. BTW, these drop at close to 130 grs. for me with present (soft) alloy. I size to 357.
If you want me to ream your throat and or chamber larger
or deeper, I can do it.

I live in Boise
Old 03-12-2015, 12:54   #13
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I have the 125gr Lee mold. It's a little to big for 9mm but Lee stuff varies a lot in mold dept. If it was a little smaller it would be perfect for 9mm. I had bad luck with Lyman. I eventual had a custom mold made by Tom at accurate molds. Good stuff.
Usually better too big than too small, can you size them
down, Lee sizing dies are only about 15. dollars.

How big is it?
Old 03-12-2015, 16:48   #14
Idaho Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
If you want me to ream your throat and or chamber larger
or deeper, I can do it.

I live in Boise
Live up in the Grangeville area. When that Smith wouldn't work with the Lee bullet I promptly gave it to my son. Didn't like it anyway and he doesn't shoot cast. Thanks for the offer, though.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; 03-12-2015 at 16:50..
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:54   #15
Colorado4Wheel

I hate to make this more complicated but here is the truth as I see it. Most molds are designed for much better lead then most of use want to cast bullets with. IE I don't use pure WW or Linotype. Too expensive. Soft lead is available. But if you use it your bullets are not the right weight and too small. So a stock Lyman wont cast right. ARGHHHH. So you grab the .357 mold and try it for 9mm. Now it's too big. Arggg.

Or you call Tom at accurate molds to design the mold at the size and weight for the type of lead you use.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 03-12-2015 at 17:18..
Old 03-12-2015, 17:55   #16
dkf

I like range scrap myself but I buy molds designed for COWW.

For 9mm if you need a larger band diameter (.357"-.359") there are 9mm bullet designs suited to be able to run those diameters but still be able to fit in the throat. NOE, Accurate and several others make them. You are doing yourself a disservice by only looking at Lee molds.
Old 03-12-2015, 20:26   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I hate to make this more complicated but here is the truth as I see it. Most molds are designed for much better lead then most of use want to cast bullets with. IE I don't use pure WW or Linotype. Too expensive. Soft lead is available. But if you use it your bullets are not the right weight and too small. So a stock Lyman wont cast right. ARGHHHH. So you grab the .357 mold and try it for 9mm. Now it's too big. Arggg.

Or you call Tom at accurate molds to design the mold at the size and weight for the type of lead you use.
^^^This^^^^
Go to accurate mold catalogue. Find a mold you like, 4 or 5 cav, I prefer high grade alum. Don't find the exact bullet, have Tom modify it to your exact specs. Order 0.002" larger than you think you need; 0.358" min for 9mm. Too big can be sized down, too small is a nightmare, especially in 9mm.
Accurate molds are great out of the box, & for a little more $$, you can have exactly what you want & really high quality. Life is too short to use crap equip. Lee can & do make a decent mold for the $$, but they also make some crap.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-12-2015 at 20:27..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 00:17   #18
my_old_glock

This one is reliable.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl356-95-rf.html

Reloading

This one is nice, and it will save lead.

http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90601.jpg

Reloading

Last edited by my_old_glock; 03-15-2015 at 00:20..
my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 00:35   #19
my_old_glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot

out.

I have that mold. It casts 0.362 bullets, so when I size them down to 0.356 there is a long straight section which forces me to seat the bullet deep. Deep bullets use less powder which means less velocity. It only works in a few guns, so I don't use it anymore for 9mm.

This is another good one I use.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-358-105-swc.html

Reloading

my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 14:14   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_old_glock View Post
I have that mold. It casts 0.362 bullets, so when I size them down to 0.356 there is a long straight section which forces me to seat the bullet deep. Deep bullets use less powder which means less velocity. It only works in a few guns, so I don't use it anymore for 9mm.

This is another good one I use.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-358-105-swc.html

Reloading

They say sizing more the about .003 is to much and bad for accuracy.