SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2012, 16:53   #81
NoJoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highxj View Post
I have been testing the Hunter's Supply 275 gr. cast FN bullet, and it's a dandy and my favorite thumper 45 Super bullet.

I'm shooting an XDm 5.25 (sorry), but I've run them up to 1060 fps. with Longshot and nearly that with Power Pistol.

I just sent some to an industry friend for pressure testing. I will post the results here if anyone is interested.

Dan
How did you set up your XDm 5.25 to shoot the Super? Are you using the stock spring or other? Apparently there is a 460 conversion for this gun using a ported barrel and stock recoil spring.
Old 07-04-2012, 17:20   #82
highxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJoy View Post
How did you set up your XDm 5.25 to shoot the Super? Are you using the stock spring or other? Apparently there is a 460 conversion for this gun using a ported barrel and stock recoil spring.
The only thing I've done is switch to a 22 lb. recoil spring and heavier mag springs.

I personally believe people take the recoil spring thing way too far. Super heavy recoil springs cause more problems than they are attempting to solve, and I honestly don't think they slow down barrel unlocking enough to help much anyway.
highxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:56   #83
NoJoy

Ok thanks. Did you get the heavier mag springs from Wolff gun springs? Is the XD barrel fully supported? So this set up you have functions 100% with the Super ammo?
Old 07-04-2012, 20:45   #84
highxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJoy View Post
Ok thanks. Did you get the heavier mag springs from Wolff gun springs? Is the XD barrel fully supported? So this set up you have functions 100% with the Super ammo?
PM sent to avoid wrecking this Glock thread
Old 07-11-2012, 18:01   #85
reflex264

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDick View Post
Thanks,
I think I will get the extra power mag springs and toss the shock buff and see what happens.
I had to install the extra power magazine spring in my 21sf and it cured the problem. It cycles like a appliance. reflex264

"A quite hit in the right place is better than a load miss followed by 10 more shots on the run". a unknown PH
reflex264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 16:34   #86
highxj

As I posted earlier, I had an opportunity to have a few loads pressure tested by a friend in the industry. This was a limited opportunity and I only sent 3 loads for testing in their pressure barrel. These were the top three loads I'd previously fired in my XDm 5.25. All used new Starline 45 Super brass and Fed 150 primers.

230 gr. LFN, Montana Bullet Works, 1.230" OAL
9.3 gr. Power Pistol, 1155 fps, 33,000 psi avg.

275 gr. Hunter's Supply cast, 1.240" OAL
8.3 gr. Power Pistol, 1035 fps, 37,000 psi avg.
8.7 gr. Longshot, 1063 fps, 40,000 psi avg.

These velocities are very close to what I obtained in my XDm so it's pretty safe to assume pressures are close to what was experienced in my chamber given that the pressure test barrel was 5".

I wish I could have sent a larger assortment of loads but we can extrapolate some data from this. I had hoped that the slightly slower Longshot might have given a bit higher velocities without a pressure penalty but that appears to not be the case, at least with this bullet.

Dan
Old 07-28-2012, 22:14   #87
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Little update, I loaded up a few more and to the backyard I went. G21sf w/KKM 4.6" bbl and 22lb spring.

230gr XTP 9.5gr Power Pistol, 1.230" (1.240" wouldn't feed in my KKM bbl), CCI LP, Starline brass. 5 shot average was 1135 fps packing 658 ft-lbs energy. Liking the 45 Super more and more! Brass looked good, I'm sure one could go a little higher still...slowly. Maybe 9.7gr next.

Also for kicks I wanted to give Longshot a try. I almost started at 10grs which is the minimum charge for 460 Rowland...but I prefer to play it safe. I only shot 3 of each, but here it is, this time 230gr FMJ @ 1.240" CCI LP Starline virgin brass.

8.5gr Longshot avg= 1025 fps

9gr Longshot avg= 1068 fps

The online data Hodgdon shows for the .45 Super is a joke, not even .45 ACP +P level. Brass looked okay and could more than likely go higher, but that's all for today.

Brother, these figures are good to know: I am about to purchace "another" G21 (as I sold mine some time back) and set up for the 45super.

To give you guys an idea here where you can take this...

In MY "G36" stock all the way little 45acp, I load WW/Starline plain 45acp brass, with a 230gr XTP, and 7.7grs of Power Pistol, and out of this little tube I am getting 907fps !

Accuracy is like 100 rounds at even out to 35yds or so making a tennis ball size hole. It get plumb boring. haha.

Just saying all this to say that out of the 3.78" tube in a G36 with 7.7grs PP @ 907fps, the G21 with about 9.2/9.4grs PP in the AM barrel and 24# spring and good 45 super brasss should be a real sweet 45 !

Thanks for the test data and reprt here SDGlock23. If you find some other sweet loads PM me and load me up bro.

Bless ya !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59   #88
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Good to hear from you brother, and yes I most certainly will let you know any new data I get for the .45 Super. I haven't loaded up in any .45 Super recently, but your post brought to mind that a few days ago I tested some regular .45 ACP using my trusty ole Glock 30sf. Similar to your numbers, with 7.7gr of Power Pistol I averaged 883 fps with a 230gr JHP loaded to 1.24" out of the 3.78" bbl...which isn't bad! The listed max is 8.1gr, although I haven't tried that... yet!

I think I will keep the 30sf stock since it still delivers good numbers, and stick to the G21sf as my .45 Super outfit. Good to hear you're getting one, they shoot so nicely, very easy to shoot and the .45 Super isn't bad at all, about like 10mm.

Take care brother, God bless you!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47   #89
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Good to hear from you brother, and yes I most certainly will let you know any new data I get for the .45 Super. I haven't loaded up in any .45 Super recently, but your post brought to mind that a few days ago I tested some regular .45 ACP using my trusty ole Glock 30sf. Similar to your numbers, with 7.7gr of Power Pistol I averaged 883 fps with a 230gr JHP loaded to 1.24" out of the 3.78" bbl...which isn't bad! The listed max is 8.1gr, although I haven't tried that... yet!

I think I will keep the 30sf stock since it still delivers good numbers, and stick to the G21sf as my .45 Super outfit. Good to hear you're getting one, they shoot so nicely, very easy to shoot and the .45 Super isn't bad at all, about like 10mm.

Take care brother, God bless you!

Yeh, I was really surprised to see these vels out of the little single stack G36, but very happy to get them. It is a very nice gun for carry in certain circumstances and places. I like the G30 as well. I sold my last one to help finance a S&W 629... ha

883fps is fine as well fro the G30. as Long as I can get 850+ out of a 230gr in my 45's I'm happy. That is plenty enough with the momentum of that 230gr hunk. ha.

Good wisdom in what your doing with the G30/G21. That is why I want to sell the G29 I have now and get he G21 back in my hands. I like the idea of the 230gr 45 at 1100/1200fps and has 13 rounds in one mag.

What barrel are you using for the 45 super in the G21 brother? I got a LW in the G20 and it works great for savin brass life, but I must admit, the OEM works really well for me even with my hotter loads, just get the buldges, but all is well other than that.

I was telling a brother yesterday, that the 200gr .40 10mm at 1300, is nice, but I'll take the 230gr 45 at 1200 any time.

Stay in touch and let me know how the 45 super test and trials or going.

God bless you as well my brother !
Time is short !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 07-30-2012, 15:37   #90
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Yes the .45 Super really shines and gives you big power and lots of rounds in the magazine. The barrel I'm using in the G21 is a KKM stock length one, it does have much better case support and works very well when shooting the Super. I use the same 22lb captured guide rod I do in the G20sf. It didn't feed some 230 XTP's loaded to 1.24", but I measured the factory Hornady version and they run around 1.23" and they fed fine. Something about the profile of the XTP that prevents it from being seated very long, at least in my barrel. It will feed to a longer OAL as long as the bullet is a little more rounded, like a Gold Dot or Golden Sabre, etc.

I've seen pretty good numbers others have posted using Blue Dot and 800x but haven't tried those yet either. There is load data out there for 250-260gr+ loads, which could be very interesting and hopefully I will get around to that. I might try some 200gr XTP's too.

Stay safe amigo.
Old 07-30-2012, 19:14   #91
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Yes the .45 Super really shines and gives you big power and lots of rounds in the magazine. The barrel I'm using in the G21 is a KKM stock length one, it does have much better case support and works very well when shooting the Super. I use the same 22lb captured guide rod I do in the G20sf. It didn't feed some 230 XTP's loaded to 1.24", but I measured the factory Hornady version and they run around 1.23" and they fed fine. Something about the profile of the XTP that prevents it from being seated very long, at least in my barrel. It will feed to a longer OAL as long as the bullet is a little more rounded, like a Gold Dot or Golden Sabre, etc.

I've seen pretty good numbers others have posted using Blue Dot and 800x but haven't tried those yet either. There is load data out there for 250-260gr+ loads, which could be very interesting and hopefully I will get around to that. I might try some 200gr XTP's too.

Stay safe amigo.

Going to make this fast here, the wife was in a car wreck this evening, and we have all the insurance stuff out of the way and made all the calls etc, but I need to spend the evening with her and encourage her.. She is ok, but a bit bummed, it was her "brand new off the lot truck..." Just a few miles she had on it. Some guy up on the highway hit her in the rear. Damage is minimal, but it is a bummer to the mind and heart for her since it's brand new..

Well amigo, yeh, PP should be and I think will be a real good powder in the super and bD as well.

My G36 and all my 45's eat XTP's real well, so maybe the KKM doesn't like em???

I load 45acp to 1.260 with the 7.7grs PP and 230gr XTP, and the OEM eats 'em, but they may have to be a tad shorter for an AM barrel. So some figuring out to do sounds like to work up some good loads and not have to seat to deep and raise pressures... Well rambling some brother. I got to much on my mind and best go right now..

I'll PM ya my email addres and we can jaw back and forth if ya want to...

Jesus be with ya !

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-12-2012 at 16:48..
Old 08-01-2012, 20:11   #92
SickDick

So I tossed the shock buff and got some wolff extra power mag springs and headed out to the range. I started with some .45 acp 230 gr. handloads, she ran good. Then I went to some 185 gr .45 supers, again ran good. Went back to some .45 acp's and things started to fall apart, wouldn't always cycle the next round again. Went back to the 45 super and she started jamming on the bullet. HELP! I need this gun to RUN BABY RUN.
SickDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:00   #93
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I don't know if this will help you, but I had to use two standard mag springs in each mag for my 21. I had the same feeding issues with 45 Super and 460 Rowland. It did not fix the 460 Rowland but 230gr @ 1100fps runs like a charm with the doubled mag springs. I also run a Sprinco with an upgraded sub spring and a 22# recoil spring. It will feed 8 out of 10 on the 460 Rowland and feeds the Super with no problems. Good luck.

P.S. my "extra power" wolff mag springs are collecting dust.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 08-02-2012 at 21:05..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25   #94
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

A little more data here. I wanted to mess around a little with 200gr bullets in the Super. All loaded to 1.220" using 200gr Speer TMJ, CCI LP primers and new Starline cases. 4.6" KKM barrel used in NP3 G21sf and captured 22lb RSA.

Temp was pretty hot, around 90 degrees but humidity wasn't that bad, I'm at about 1000-1050 ft above sea level. Loaded up three batches using Power Pistol. 10.5gr, 10.8gr, and 11gr. Five shot averages.

10.5gr PP average: 1209 fps / 649 ft-lbs
10.8gr PP average: 1241 fps / 683 ft-lbs
11.0gr PP average: 1278 fps / 725 ft-lbs

All brass looked good, primers were not flattened. All did have some extractor rash on them, but not severe.

I tend to prefer 230gr bullets when shooting .45 pistols, but the 200gr .45 is my next choice, I think the 200gr Gold Dot and XTP make for some good personal protection...and traveling out at almost 1300 fps doesn't hurt either! I don't have any 185gr bullets to test, as I'm not real fond of that weight in .45's but I may get a few to load up. I've seen those running around 1400 fps in the .45 Super for what it's worth.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 08-03-2012 at 08:33..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 13:08   #95
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
A little more data here. I wanted to mess around a little with 200gr bullets in the Super. All loaded to 1.220" using 200gr Speer TMJ, CCI LP primers and new Starline cases. 4.6" KKM barrel used in NP3 G21sf and captured 22lb RSA.

Temp was pretty hot, around 90 degrees but humidity wasn't that bad, I'm at about 1000-1050 ft above sea level. Loaded up three batches using Power Pistol. 10.5gr, 10.8gr, and 11gr. Five shot averages.

10.5gr PP average: 1209 fps / 649 ft-lbs
10.8gr PP average: 1241 fps / 683 ft-lbs
11.0gr PP average: 1278 fps / 725 ft-lbs

All brass looked good, primers were not flattened. All did have some extractor rash on them, but not severe.

I tend to prefer 230gr bullets when shooting .45 pistols, but the 200gr .45 is my next choice, I think the 200gr Gold Dot and XTP make for some good personal protection...and traveling out at almost 1300 fps doesn't hurt either! I don't have any 185gr bullets to test, as I'm not real fond of that weight in .45's but I may get a few to load up. I've seen those running around 1400 fps in the .45 Super for what it's worth.

Very good info brother. Copied and stashed away for "that day" when I get my 21 back... (or another one i should say).

Nope, nothing wrong with 200gr GD's XTP's at those vels at all. Like you, I prefer the 230gr in all my 45's but am not opposed at all to using 200gr. Man even the 230gr are moving out plenty good enough. As I said, I am gettng 907fps out of my little G36 in 45acp OEM barrel with 7.7grs PP.

I need to send ya some 225gr Beartooth Hard Cast, and see what ya can do with those. I also got some Hunter Supply 200gr Hard Cast Pentagon HP's my friend at HS sent me to test in the 45acp. I would be interested to see what you get from them in the 45 super. PM me an address, and I'll send ya some next week when I can, if ya want to.

Thanks for the good info here brother..

Stay safe
God bless ya.

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-03-2012 at 13:14..
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16   #96
21Glock

I'm still having trouble with my G21SF cycling the .45 Super rounds here lately. I have a 22lb. ISMI recoil spring, SS guide rod, LW 6" non ported barrel.
I got the Wolff extra power mag springs, still jamming. It will fire a round and then jam at the feed ram. I think it's the profile of the bullet I'm using. I have been using Rainer 230 JHP slugs. They have a SWC shape to the nose and may be causing the jam.
When I first starting shooting .45 Supers in this set up a couple of years ago, I was using Speer Gold Dots and Remington Golder Sabre. Don't remember that happening with those bullets, more of round nose profile. I'll try to find some of those scarce and more expensive bullets and see how they work.
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17   #97
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
I'm still having trouble with my G21SF cycling the .45 Super rounds here lately. I have a 22lb. ISMI recoil spring, SS guide rod, LW 6" non ported barrel.
I got the Wolff extra power mag springs, still jamming. It will fire a round and then jam at the feed ram. I think it's the profile of the bullet I'm using. I have been using Rainer 230 JHP slugs. They have a SWC shape to the nose and may be causing the jam.
When I first starting shooting .45 Supers in this set up a couple of years ago, I was using Speer Gold Dots and Remington Golder Sabre. Don't remember that happening with those bullets, more of round nose profile. I'll try to find some of those scarce and more expensive bullets and see how they work.
I had the same problem until I finally managed to get two standard magazine springs installed into one magazine. The double springs provide far more power than the Wolff extra power springs. Unfortunately, I can only get 11 rounds in my mags but they feed the 230gr 45 Super I got from Underwood Ammo without problems.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 08-12-2012 at 08:22..
Old 08-12-2012, 13:18   #98
21Glock

I'll try that with some of the mag springs I took out to put in the Wollf springs.

G21SF's firing one shot of .45 Supers aren't much good to anyone.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-12-2012, 15:03   #99
21Glock

BTW, are you running a 22lb. recoil spring in your G21 or are you using a 24lb.?
I have a 24lb. as well as the 22lb. one that I keep in there most of the time.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:31   #100
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

The Wolff recoil spring that I received had 24# printed on the label but I put it on a fish scale and I believe that it is a 22#. I also have a Sprinco with an up graded sub spring installed because my 21 is set up to fire 460 Rowland as well as 45 Super and ACP. Everything I have done to my 21 has been trying to get it to function with 460 Rowland and it has been a challenge. I finally, with the double mag springs, got it to feed 8 out of 10 of the 460, and I am not using a ported barrel or a compensator. Consequently I load my mags with the bottom 3 rounds 230gr @ 1100fps and the last 8 230gr @ 1300fps.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 08-12-2012 at 18:31..