Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2011, 13:46   #1
SOLIDSNAK3

grip safety help.

i recently has the msh and mainspring replaced due to some light primer no fire problem i had with my SA lightweight operator. i picked up my weapon and relized that the grip safety does not function. (trigger will fire with no grip on the grip safety.) is there a video or some advice on how to fix this. i would like to not go back to the gunsmith that just worked on it since that would involve more down time.

i believe that it is related to the sear spring but i am unsure. i regret sending my operator to a gunsmith for a simple mainspring and msh swap as i have seen dozens of videos on how to do it.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks.
SOLIDSNAK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 15:08   #2
B.Reid

I think your gunsmith needs to fix his error. If it was not doing it before you took it in he installed things wrong.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 15:34   #3
SOLIDSNAK3

I agree that he needs to fix it, but if its something I can do, I'd rather do it. Also, no. This problem did not occur before I brought the weapon in for the mainspring and msh.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 16:18   #4
CMG

Does the grip safety still move in and out?

A new MSH sometimes needs to be fitted at the top where it touches the bottom of the grip safety (and limits it's movement out (away from the frame)).

As long as the grip safety wasn't modified by the 'smith, and it still moves out, the tab should still block the trigger bow.

You can check this by removing the cross-pin that holds the MSH in place and sliding it down about a 1/2 inch. If the grips safety works again, slide it up and watch the grip safety to see if the MSH forces the grip safety in.

Last edited by CMG; 11-18-2011 at 16:20..
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 17:50   #5
SOLIDSNAK3

as it sits now, the grip safety (beaver tail) moves in (toward the frame) and out (away from the gun)

does this mean that too much material was removed from the msh, causing the safety to not function.
Old 11-18-2011, 17:57   #6
CMG

Nope, but it does sound like someone modified the grip safety. If it moves out fully and no longer blocks the trigger, you'll need a new one. The "arm" on the right side of the grip safety blocks the trigger until you depress it, then that arm moves up and the trigger can pass beneath it (into the notch you see).

The "feet" on the bottom of the grip safety catch on the ledge at the top of the MSH to and limit the grip safety's travel. That ledge is where you sometimes need to fit the MSH.

1911 Forums

Last edited by CMG; 11-18-2011 at 17:59..
Old 11-18-2011, 18:00   #7
knedrgr

First, your smith should've checked the function of the gun, prior to giving it back to you. Any competent smith that knows the 1911, should know the function of parts and how they are linked in function.

What CMG is talking about is the bottom of the BTGS is contacting the back of the MSH too soon (when it's not being pressed by the user), thus causing the blocking bar to not block the trigger bow from moving rearward.

Here's the back to the MSH. Your MSH, the top is a little too thick.
1911 Forums

Here's a BTGS's side profile. Note the bottom tab that's below the palm swell on the BTGS. That's hitting the back of the MSH.
1911 Forums

Here's a BTGS's blocking tab.
1911 Forums

Here's a BTGS being disengaged from the using gripping the gun, and the trigger pulled back.
1911 Forums
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 18:06   #8
CMG

If you still have your original MSH, you can slip it on without the guts and see if the grip safety works. If it does, the new MSH needs to be fit, reducing the thickness (front to back) of that vertical ledge to allow the grip safety to pivot out a bit more.
Old 11-18-2011, 18:12   #9
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
If you still have your original MSH, you can slip it on without the guts and see if the grip safety works. If it does, the new MSH needs to be fit, reducing the thickness (front to back) of that vertical ledge to allow the grip safety to pivot out a bit more.
+1 on that before you start shaving off any metal.
COTEFT #2

Old 11-18-2011, 21:04   #10
SOLIDSNAK3

thank you all for the help and support. now....

the old mainspring is shorter than the new mainspring. the old msh has the ils system from SA. The new one does not.

can i use the new (longer) spring with the old (ils equipped) msh to check the rip safety?

thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 21:18   #11
gocubs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDSNAK3 View Post
i recently has the msh and mainspring replaced due to some light primer no fire problem i had with my SA lightweight operator. i picked up my weapon and relized that the grip safety does not function. (trigger will fire with no grip on the grip safety.) is there a video or some advice on how to fix this. i would like to not go back to the gunsmith that just worked on it since that would involve more down time.

i believe that it is related to the sear spring but i am unsure. i regret sending my operator to a gunsmith for a simple mainspring and msh swap as i have seen dozens of videos on how to do it.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks.
Next time, send that into Springfield. They would fix it for free and probably check out your pistol otherwise.

Also, find a new gunsmith. If the old boy doesn't do a simple function check after taking the gun apart, I wouldn't trust him.
gocubs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 21:29   #12
CMG

Quote:
thank you all for the help and support. now....

the old mainspring is shorter than the new mainspring. the old msh has the ils system from SA. The new one does not.

can i use the new (longer) spring with the old (ils equipped) msh to check the rip safety?

thanks

Yes you can use standard MSH parts in an ILS, but use all three pieces, none of the original parts.
Old 11-21-2011, 21:57   #13
SOLIDSNAK3

wanted to update this. as per recomendations, i removed to new MSH and guts, and replaced it with the old (ils equipped)MSH with NO SPRINGS OR PARTS.

the grip safety works again.

what does this mean?

thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 22:48   #14
CMG

Quote:
wanted to update this. as per recomendations, i removed to new MSH and guts, and replaced it with the old (ils equipped)MSH with NO SPRINGS OR PARTS.

the grip safety works again.

what does this mean?

thanks!
It means the new MSH needs more fitting. It is not letting the grip safety pivot out far enough for the tab to block the trigger bow.

That vertical edge above and behind the hole in the top of the MSH needs to be filed back a bit.

Last edited by CMG; 11-22-2011 at 07:39..
Old 11-22-2011, 00:44   #15
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
I agree that he needs to fix it, but if its something I can do, I'd rather do it. Also, no. This problem did not occur before I brought the weapon in for the mainspring and msh.

Thanks

If you can not decipher the operating problem with the new parts you should take it to someone who does.
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33   #16
Drgnracin72

Send a message via AIM to Drgnracin72 Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnracin72
maybe the guy wants to learn. it is in fact his gun.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58   #17
knedrgr

Quote:
It means the new MSH needs more fitting. It is not letting the grip safety pivot out far enough for the tab to block the trigger bow.

That vertical edge above and behind the hole in the top of the MSH needs to be filed back a bit.

+1 on this.

the other option is to file off the lower foot of the BTGS that's hitting the same spot on the MSH. Either option will be fine to fix your problem.
COTEFT #2

Old 11-22-2011, 08:16   #18
SOLIDSNAK3

Quote:

ok. is there a specific sort of file i should use for this process?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01   #19
CMG

A good sharp one.

Nicholson brand files are available at most Home Depots or Lowes and have a good rep for their quality. I would use a file with a finer cut over a coarse one. Go slow, take a few strokes and try the housing on the frame. It usually takes less than you think.

You can use a sharpie to color the part where you'll be filing. It will help you see you are filing evenly and track your progress. Once the color is gone, try the fit. If it needs more, color it again before filing.

Last edited by CMG; 11-22-2011 at 17:14..
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51   #20
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgnracin72 View Post
maybe the guy wants to learn. it is in fact his gun.
obviously

Due to the nature of his questions it might be best however for him to get some 'hands on' training with someone competent or perhaps some youtube vids.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 11-22-2011 at 12:51..
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote