Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2011, 16:06   #1
venenoindy

Fiocchi with XTP?

I'm looking to get some Fiocchi .40 S&W 180gr loaded with XTP bullets, I normally get Federal HST but haven't been able to get the 180's. Anybody has experience with this round?
venenoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 18:05   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

My experience with the XTP bullet is that is highly accurate and deep penetrating, but not a lot of expansion. Fiocchi ammo is good quality and I've found them to be on the hot side in the past.

I haven't shot the load you're looking at, but the ingredients smell good to me.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 18:56   #3
dkf

I've been hearing of some QC issues with Fiocchi in .357sig and .40 from other forums. The stuff made outside the US seemed to be the culprit. Just a heads up. Personally I would trust the Black Hills ammo with the XTP bullet more than Fiocchi.

Some links below

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...low-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...low-point-ammo
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 19:53   #4
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I've been hearing of some QC issues with Fiocchi in .357sig and .40 from other forums. The stuff made outside the US seemed to be the culprit. Just a heads up. Personally I would trust the Black Hills ammo with the XTP bullet more than Fiocchi.
The 115-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP 9mm ammo is the best standard pressure JHP self-defense round I've tried through my PF-9. It comes in a deep blue box and is very robust, moreso than standard pressure 115-grain Speer Gold Dot. It is far and away the most accurate of all the ammos I've tested in that particular pistol. I really should get off the dime and try it through my sub-compact 9mm.

The 124-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP was a huge disappointment and others who have chronoed this round report that it's velocity doesn't in any way live up to billing. To me it seemed underpowered and not particularly accurate.

I don't know for sure where the ammo is manufactured but the 115-grain Extrema has the CIP logo on the box which leads me to think it may be European-made whereas the 124-grain Extrema has the SAAMI logo and carries the Springfield, MO address.

I've never shot Black Hills but I understand it has an excellent reputation.

Quote:
I'm looking to get some Fiocchi .40 S&W 180gr loaded with XTP bullets, I normally get Federal HST but haven't been able to get the 180's.
My suggestion is to try some out. It's a very affordable self-defense ammo with a proven bullet and you may find it's just what you're looking for.

Last edited by unit1069; 11-18-2011 at 19:55..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 20:25   #5
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venenoindy View Post
I'm looking to get some Fiocchi .40 S&W 180gr loaded with XTP bullets, I normally get Federal HST but haven't been able to get the 180's. Anybody has experience with this round?
If you prefer 180gr HST, it isn't hard to find...

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...ct-ammo-xm40hc
http://mahsupplies.net/
Old 11-18-2011, 21:37   #6
scattershot

Can't speak to the .40, but the 9mm 124 XTP I tried was made in Kentucky. Velocity was woefully short of claimed.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 18:25   #7
Dogguy

I thought Fiocchi USA ammo was made in Missouri.

My G30 did not like Fiocchi's Extrema XTP .45 ACP ammo but all my other .45s like it fine. I've also tried it in .380 with good luck in a couple of different brands of handgun.
Dogguy is offline   Reply With Quote