Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2011, 15:22   #1
TexasGlockster

Good 9mm Range Ammo?

So let me first say that while I am not looking to break the bank, I'm not a huge fan of shooting crap through my G17 either. With that in mind, anyone know of a good range ammo that is decent without being too expensive? Please include approximate price per box and the number of rounds in that box.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:35   #2
Dave.1

Cabela's has S&B 115g FMJ for 9.99 with free shipping on orders of 99.00 or over.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Selli...MCcat104372280

It is very good ammo. Rated fps is 1250 so it's not a weak range load like PMC at fps 1150.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 17:43   #3
sr1sws

WWB 100rd $23.97 or thereabouts at Walmart. You can also get the Federal 100 round box at Walmart for $19.xx - if they have it in stock.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of WWB through my G17 and 100 rounds of the Federal - both work(ed) fine.
sr1sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 18:13   #4
Providence

I recently started using Georgia Arms Canned Heat, and I've been happy with it. I bought it at a local Gun Show, but it's not as cheap as the Cabela S&B.
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 18:19   #5
Dogguy

I like GECO more than any other range ammo. It's full powered, unlike most other low-priced ammo, and it is highly consistent round-to-round. Last price I saw was a little over $10.00 f/50. From what I've read, GECO is the ammunition used at the European factories by many manufacturers--Glock, SIG, HK, etc.

But I can't fault Brown Bear ammo at all for 9mm if you want the lowest price generally available. I've used Tula in .45 ACP and it worked well in all my guns as well so I'll probably give it a try in 9mm too.
Dogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 18:20   #6
unit1069

I'd go with the S&B 115-grain online ammo deal. If you drive to Wal-Mart you have to figure the cost of gasoline, and since Cabella's delivers right to the door the total price is still better than WWB. I also like S&B better than WWB for range ammo, but that's my personal preference.
Old 11-20-2011, 19:34   #7
Brucev

I have had very good results using Fed. Champion 9mm and Wolf 9mm. Function and on target results have been excellent in my Beretta 92FS. POA is POI at 15 yds. Will buy more. YMMV.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 20:00   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

You're going to find your best ammo deals buying in bulk online. Right now, the S&B from Cabela's is probably the best deal out there.

If buying in bulk is a little more than you wanted to spend, then buying Federal or Winchester by the box at Walmart is the next best option.
Old 11-20-2011, 21:42   #9
tcruse

Cabelas locally (Fort Worth TX) has S&B at 9.99 and Heters (Blazer) TNJ for $10.50. The TNJ is Nylon coated lead bullet. They shoot really well, clean, and less lead exposure. Cabelas will ship for store pickup free, so if the catalog is cheaper order from the catalog. CTD Ruag Precision ammo for 8.38 is zinc plated steel case but much higher quality than most of the Russian stuff. Cabelas has MFS2000 brass on sale quite often (very similuar to S&B) for under $10.

When shipping is considered sometimes it is cheaper to buy locally. Buying in 1000 round lots does not always give you a better price, even from the same source.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 00:01   #10
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcruse View Post
Cabelas locally (Fort Worth TX) has S&B at 9.99 and Heters (Blazer) TNJ for $10.50. The TNJ is Nylon coated lead bullet. They shoot really well, clean, and less lead exposure. Cabelas will ship for store pickup free, so if the catalog is cheaper order from the catalog. CTD Ruag Precision ammo for 8.38 is zinc plated steel case but much higher quality than most of the Russian stuff. Cabelas has MFS2000 brass on sale quite often (very similuar to S&B) for under $10.

When shipping is considered sometimes it is cheaper to buy locally. Buying in 1000 round lots does not always give you a better price, even from the same source.
That's all well and good if you happen to have a local Cabela's. But the OP is from San Antonio, there is no Cabela's in San Antonio.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26   #11
Tiro Fijo

IMO you have to go European nowadays for good solid 9mm range ammo. Fed. & Win. both have "watered" down their range ammo to meet Walmart price points and Win. QC is in the toilet to boot.

Best stuff IMO now is:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...e/9mm-fmj-ammo
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20   #12
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Your Glock should function just fine on any ammo so you should be looking for cases <$200. Personally, I avoid Russian because it's dirty, typically uses steel casings and I just don't want to support the SOBs!

Someone mentioned Geco (Swiss made). This is probably the best ammo I've seen. Even their packaging is superior. Kind of like opening an Apple product--they know their product is superior and they want you to discover this as soon as you open the box.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 11-21-2011 at 09:25..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote