Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2011, 13:47   #1
Indiana Camper

Putting Down Injured Deer

I'd like to see what you all think would be the quickest way to put down an injured deer. What ammo? Where to shoot it...head, heard/lungs, etc.? With my job I find myself more often than I'd like having to put down suffering deer. I think I'm going to start using my G29 instead of .40 cal.

Thanks
Indiana Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 13:48   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

Head with some sort of fmj or hardcast gets my vote...probably wont matter much tho if youre hitting them in the head..
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 13:49   #3
TreyG-20
Second2None

Send a message via Yahoo to TreyG-20
I used a .22 lr. I only had to do it once but one shot to the head and it was done really fast.
Old 11-21-2011, 15:32   #4
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

The last time I did this was about 20 years ago: Knife under the throat works just fine.

.40 or .22 will also work, just a lot louder. Head shots are lethal. The extra 200 fps you're gonna get from a hot 10 load vs. a .40 will not matter from point blank range.

Last edited by Kegs; 11-21-2011 at 15:33..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 15:54   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I'd use whatever I had at hand, It is the humane thing to do if neceassary!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 15:56   #6
Indiana Camper

Well it's also partly an excuse to shoot my newest pistol. Plus I don't have to show up for work the next day with the 10mm clean. I normally take head shots but it seems like a couple times lately they haven't died as quickly as I would have liked. I don't mean to sound like a big weannie, just hate to see something lay there and suffer any longer than necessary.
Old 11-21-2011, 17:59   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I suppose a headshot with a solid bullet would be best, assuming you don't get hit with a ricochet. Deer skulls are pretty hard!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 18:05   #8
G33Fla

head shot, use whatever you have...it will be over quick
G33Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 18:44   #9
twisted1
head busta

10mm to the heart or the brain is instant death!
twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 18:50   #10
BearMBD

I have had to kill an injured deer while in the city limits. Police officer would not let me use a 22 pistol for a clean kill. I had to sever the spine with a knife. Right at the base of the skull. Lights out quickly and hopefully no pain for the deer
BearMBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 21:44   #11
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

I've had to put down plenty of injured deer hit on the highways. I once shot a large buck in the top of his head with five .40 caliber rounds. The damn thing kept standing back up! Bad times since the lady who hit it with her car was standing 50 yds away with her kids getting a report taken. And this was in the gun-hating San Fransisco bay area! Awk-ward!

Soon after that a game warden showed me a cool trick. She dropped a blanket (or tarp) over the injured deer's head. This makes it immediately drop to the ground, no running around. Then she drew an old .38 revolver, hardly a deer-killing round, and shot the thing just behind the ear. Instant lights out. It was amazing.

I've also used a .556 round against an injured cow and THAT worked pretty damn well. A dairyman had to bring a skip loader over to drag the carcass away with a chain though. Heavy bastards. Good "hunting"!

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 11-21-2011 at 21:46..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 22:28   #12
Indiana Camper

Yeah. Ive definitely put down my share with .40 and sometimes it's fast but other times it does take several shots. Sometimes they just really fight it. I normally do aim for the brain. Maybe i'll try some of my 200 or 230 grain DT hardcast.
Old 11-21-2011, 22:33   #13
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

You may have a case to put an injured deer down if you are a Law Officer in MN, but you others had better call the DNR Officer and get permission, before you kill a MN deer. Here that is akin to hunting and DNR doesn't like it. I'm talking shooting, other means may be ok.

Good intentions aren't enough.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 22:35   #14
arushus
Biggest Member

If the shooting the brain isnt working, try aiming for the base of the brain where it meets the spinal cord...sever that spinal cord right there and it is lights out real quick!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 22:51   #15
furioso2112

destroying the brain stem is the key - severed spinal cord paralyzes, but quickest is brain stem obliteration - that's they part of the brain that controls heart, lungs, etc. I've seen deer dispatched in a number of ways - blades, bullets, boots, cars, arrows, traps, other animals, dogs, gas, catapults, drowning, smashed in head with a rock, blow guns, five-finger death punch, snake bites, starvation, choking, cancer, brain rot, clotheslines, suffocation, diabetes, trephining, smoke inhalation, mountain cats, horse stompings, glass window severings, stuck in a tree, hypodermic needle, drug overdose, panic, fire. There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the world.
Old 11-21-2011, 23:00   #16
PrecisionRifleman

I usually go for the head shot with my rifle (700LTR) , but I have put a few 45 ACP slugs in downed deer. I always went for lights out, and had no problem penetrating a skull. Both the 40 and 10mm will do the same thing at point blank range putting one in the head. My favorite sidearm in the field is without a doubt my G20 though. The flat trajectory, extended range, and excellent ballistics make a lot of sense to me.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 23:08   #17
blastfact

Are you kidding? Put the deer down with any means possible!

We had a horse hit on the hwy this week one morning. It was ripped to hell! I stopped and spoke with the animal control official on scene. He didn't have clearance to put the horse down. I went over and put it down with my lock blade. It's guts were ripped open and broken up to hell.

It was laying in a ditch off the hwy with a huge berm behind it. I could have laid it down with my PF-9 and done so safely. But I chose the blade so the idiot cops could not charge me with discharging a firearm in city limits. And the horse had been down long enough that it blood was already dried on the hwy. No cops, troopers, our county folks. Just a hen pecked dog catcher.

Put them down and do it quick by any mean possible!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 00:55   #18
Maine1

headshots. Works on everything i have put down.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44   #19
BigLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
destroying the brain stem is the key - severed spinal cord paralyzes, but quickest is brain stem obliteration - that's they part of the brain that controls heart, lungs, etc. I've seen deer dispatched in a number of ways - blades, bullets, boots, cars, arrows, traps, other animals, dogs, gas, catapults, drowning, smashed in head with a rock, blow guns, five-finger death punch, snake bites, starvation, choking, cancer, brain rot, clotheslines, suffocation, diabetes, trephining, smoke inhalation, mountain cats, horse stompings, glass window severings, stuck in a tree, hypodermic needle, drug overdose, panic, fire. There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the world.
Damn dope head deer. There have been two car killed in front of the same house this year. I'd better check it out, must be their dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by BigLaw; 11-22-2011 at 05:46..
BigLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10   #20
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyG-20 View Post
I used a .22 lr. I only had to do it once but one shot to the head and it was done really fast.
IMHO, only caliber choice to use!