Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:27   #1
CDW4ME

New Glock 29 SF owner's report.

I recently bought a new 3rd generation Glock 29 SF, the fired case envelope was dated 11-11-11.
I have the green front with yellow rear Meprolight night sights on it.
I've shot 40 rounds of Hornady 155 gr. XTP plus 80 rounds of my handloads* through it, so far.
After 120 rounds, the only problem I've had is the slide locks back with one round left in the magazine; this happens consistently with both flush magazines that were supplied with the pistol.
However, I bought an extra magazine with a Pearce +0 pinky rest base plate and it works perfectly.
Obviously I'm going to try Pearce base plates on the other two magazines hoping to solve the problem; although I'm not sure how the base plate would have anything to do with the slide locking open.

Yesterday I chronographed the Hornady factory loads and my initial handloads* with the same 155 gr. XTP bullet.
(average for 5 shots).
Hornady 155 gr. XTP @ 1,279 fps
Handload* 155 gr. XTP, 12.4 gr. AA#7, Winchester primer, new Starline brass @ 1,232

I wanted to approximate the factory loading, so I went ahead and loaded my handloads* with the maximum listed charge of 12.7 gr. AA#7

Today I chronographed the factory load again and my new handload* (average for 5 shots).
Hornady 155 gr. XTP factory load @ 1,267 fps
Handload* 155 gr. XTP, 12.7 gr. AA#7, Winchester primer, new Starline brass @ 1,244

I mixed the factory ammunition and my handloads* in the magazine and preceived recoil impulse was equivalent.

The Hornady 155 gr. factory load is living up to the advertised velocity on the box of 1,265 fps even from the "short" barrel of the G29.

Recoil in the Glock 29 (using the loads I tried) seemed comparable to a Glock 36 or 3'' 1911 aluminum frame 45 acp with 230 gr. ammo; I no longer have those pistols for a direct comparison, but that's my subjective impression.

Objectively, I did chrono that G36 when I had it.
G36: Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 874 fps / 390# KE / PF 201
G29: Hornady 155 gr. XTP @ 1,279 fps / 563# KE / PF 198
Using the power factor calculation, my subjective impression of recoil is supported by the numbers.

The 10 Ring
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*Handload data provided for ballistic information & comparison only. CDW4ME does not imply that these loads are safe for you to assemble & shoot. Handloading is potentially dangerous and you should not do it. You should just stick with factory ammo.

Last edited by CDW4ME; 12-18-2011 at 12:29..
CDW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Your grip and thumbs are the likely problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 19:04   #3
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
Your grip and thumbs are the likely problems.
Doesn't it seem odd that my grip and or thumbs are only a problem on the last round in the magazine?

I loaded the flush magazine(s) with 4, 6, 8 rounds and it always happened on the last round with the flush fitting magazine(s).

It has not ever happened when using the magazine with the Pearce base plate.
Old 12-18-2011, 19:57   #4
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

The Pearce base plate was my clue.
Put them on the other mags and see.

Do not mess with the springs and other stuff as per GG until you try the simple fix.
Please.

Old 12-18-2011, 22:12   #5
arushus
Biggest Member

G33, WHO is that in your avatar?!?!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 23:07   #6
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Objectively, I did chrono that G36 when I had it.
G36: Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 874 fps / 390# KE / PF 201
G29: Hornady 155 gr. XTP @ 1,279 fps / 563# KE / PF 198
Using the power factor calculation, my subjective impression of recoil is supported by the numbers.
I'm glad to hear you're liking the G29SF. It's an awesome gun. That's awesome to compare the kinetic energy and power factor. You get a LOWER power factor, with nearly 200ft-lbs more muzzle energy! That's awesome.

Arushus, G33 always has some sexy ladies in her (I think G33 is a her) avatar, usually packing some sort of heat. I like them.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 23:20   #7
ModGlock17

Quote:
Doesn't it seem odd that my grip and or thumbs are only a problem on the last round in the magazine?

I loaded the flush magazine(s) with 4, 6, 8 rounds and it always happened on the last round with the flush fitting magazine(s).

It has not ever happened when using the magazine with the Pearce base plate.
Back when I had this annoying problem, I researched other guntalk sites and came to the conclusion that this is a more common problem to new G29s than not, but it doesn't happen to every G29. Since there isn't many G29 sold, there's not enough talk about it to force a solution, ie. it doesn't affect a large population of gun owners.

Most reported the problem went away after hundreds of rounds. Mine did, per say. Whether it went away on its own (through break-in period) or because of something I did, is debatable.

So unless you got a G29 that had gone through it, you won't know what it is like and probably just fumbling in the dark with suggestions.

Being a tinkerer, I tried everything I can think of:
1-use new Wolf mag springs, supposedly 10% stronger. nada!

2-use larger mag springs, like G20 or G17, in a G29. nada!

3-polish/trim lips of mags in question, and their followers, then lube the inside. This is when I discovered that the follower can move up the mag tunnel unevenly in the last round and popped the bullet-end up a tad more on only the last round. One person said that bending the tab of the slide lock upward a bit, worked for him. But I didn't like that solution, bandage solution, I thought. There was something more systematic that caused it.

4-changed barrel to StormLake. And it stopped totally. Looking for the cause, I inspected the stock barrel and found evidence that its feedramp came in contact with the top lip of magazine, which means the mag got "banged" when the slide cycled. The plastic lip of the mag was ragged with the steel lining showing, AND scratched, while the feedramp lip had slight scratches. This is the area UNDER the ramp where it would not effect sliding up of the bullet.

I reasoned that if the mag is populated, except when with the last round, the pressure from the mag spring would force the mag down, a tiny bit, where it would not make contact with the barrel feedramp during cycling. But in the last round, not enough pressure existed, the mag body came inside the well too much (manufacturing tolerance wasn't well tolerated ) and got banged and popped the follower upward such that it made contact with the slide lock prematurely, thus set off the slide lock. The 10% stronger Wofl spring didn't help, probably because 10% wasn't enough and with a bigger mag spring it would actually slow down the slide's cycling speed (not good).

So I polished the feedramp bottom heavily, where I thought it would come in contact with the mag lip, and also polished all the mag lips.

Between 3 & 4 (did both at the same time, duh!) the problem went away. I could also argue that by the time I did 3 & 4, I went through 500-600 rounds and the gun is broken-in.

There you have it, my experience with it.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 23:30   #8
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Congrats! hope you get things worked out!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42   #9
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post

3-polish/trim lips of mags in question, and their followers, then lube the inside. This is when I discovered that the follower can move up the mag tunnel unevenly in the last round and popped the bullet-end up a tad more on only the last round. One person said that bending the tab of the slide lock upward a bit, worked for him.

I inspected the stock barrel and found evidence that its feedramp came in contact with the top lip of magazine, which means the mag got "banged" when the slide cycled. The plastic lip of the mag was ragged with the steel lining showing, AND scratched, while the feedramp lip had slight scratches. This is the area UNDER the ramp where it would not effect sliding up of the bullet.

I reasoned that if the mag is populated, except when with the last round, the pressure from the mag spring would force the mag down, a tiny bit, where it would not make contact with the barrel feedramp during cycling. But in the last round, not enough pressure existed, the mag body came inside the well too much (manufacturing tolerance wasn't well tolerated ) and got banged and popped the follower upward such that it made contact with the slide lock prematurely, thus set off the slide lock. The 10% stronger Wofl spring didn't help, probably because 10% wasn't enough and with a bigger mag spring it would actually slow down the slide's cycling speed (not good).
Your findings might explain why the magazine with the Pearce baseplate works. My pinky is putting pressure against the bottom of the magazine with that Pearce extension, which would possibly keep the magazine pulled down sightly compared to the flush fitting magazines. That little difference keeps something from making contact.
Old 12-19-2011, 14:33   #10
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Yes, a gal here.
For years, as a Mod here, I did not admit it.
Figured I would get no respect.
Older and do not care now.

Couple of Troopers make avatars for me.
They claim to match them to me.
I think they are looney.
Current pic is Stargate gal.

Old 12-19-2011, 14:38   #11
ModGlock17

Quote:
Your findings might explain why the magazine with the Pearce baseplate works. My pinky is putting pressure against the bottom of the magazine with that Pearce extension, which would possibly keep the magazine pulled down sightly compared to the flush fitting magazines. That little difference keeps something from making contact.
Makes sense.

It didn't need much clearance, may be .010" (10 mils) or less.
Old 12-19-2011, 16:27   #12
CDW4ME

problem solved

Had enough time for a quick test this afternoon.

I removed the Pearce baseplate from the magazine that worked properly and put a flush base plate from one of the other magazines on it; loaded 4 rounds and it worked just fine, did not lock back.

I put the Pearce base plate on one of the other magazines and loaded 4 rounds, it worked fine; I did the same thing again and again it worked fine.

Took the Pearce baseplate and put it on the other magazine that had been locking open, same drill: load 4 rounds shoot, load 4 shoot and it worked properly both times.

If was my thumb, the magazine that originally worked fine with the Pearce base plate should have locked back with one round left like the others did, but it did not; after all, the others did it every single time. Why it didn't I don't know.

I do know that the two magazines that previously locked open with one round left with a flush base plate worked properly with the Pearce version, no other changes made.

I have ordered two more Pearce +0 magazine base plates.

I've got Glocks in 357 SIG, 40 S&W, 45 GAP and have never had issues with the slide locking open (or anything whatsoever); hence my reluctance to accept that my grip or thumbs were at fault for the problem. Heck back in 1992/1993 I put about 6,000 - 8,000 rounds through a model 21.

With this issue seemingly resolved, I can start liking my new 29 SF.
Old 12-19-2011, 17:01   #13
4949shooter

Well then enjoy!

I hope your 29 works as it should. I like the velocity on the Hornady 155 grainers. They were extremely accurate out of my G20SF. I wonder how they would chrono through a full sixed Glock..

Quote:
Couple of Troopers make avatars for me.
They claim to match them to me.
I think they are looney.
Current pic is Stargate gal.
Yeah, troopers can be a little looney. My wife can empathize.

Last edited by 4949shooter; 12-19-2011 at 17:04..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 17:04   #14
ModGlock17

I would recommend at least a couple of G20 mags in your bags, 15 round capacity. Nice to have! Useful... Should you get a G20 in the future.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02   #15
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
I meant to mention that in your GG thread. I think that's what was happening. I also think your springs are just starting to loosen up. I bet it was just due to them being really stiff. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Have fun with it.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09   #16
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Well then enjoy!

I hope your 29 works as it should. I like the velocity on the Hornady 155 grainers.
Me too! I'm anxiously awaiting the other two Pearce magazine base plates.

I'm impressed that the 155 gr. Hornady ammunition meets the advertised velocity out of the G29.
I know there is hotter ammunition available, but I think the Hornady 155 gr. XTP at around 1,270 fps is plently for SD. The 155 gr. weight being less likely to overpenetrate (as much) than heavier options.

The only other pistol that I own that comes close to the ~ 560# KE generated by the G29 and 155 gr. Hornady is my Glock 32.
My G32 using a 125 gr. Cor-Bon averaged 1,380 fps / 528# KE

I also like being able to buy the same XTP bullets to handload.
Old 12-20-2011, 14:34   #17
4949shooter

Quote:

The only other pistol that I own that comes close to the ~ 560# KE generated by the G29 and 155 gr. Hornady is my Glock 32.
My G32 using a 125 gr. Cor-Bon averaged 1,380 fps / 528# KE
I recently pushed for the police agency I work for to go to the .357 Sig round. I am told we are staying with the 9mm for now.
Old 12-20-2011, 15:30   #18
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Ya, but your uniforms a cool.

Old 12-20-2011, 17:16   #19
4949shooter

Quote:
Ya, but your uniforms a cool.
Many thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 21:27   #20
CDW4ME

It's still not working 100%

The magazine that originally worked with the Pearce pinky magazine extension continues to work with a flush base plate.

The magazine that locked open with one round left when it had a flush base plate works properly with the Pearce pinky extension.

The magazine that locked open with one round left with a flush base plate continues to lock open with one round left using the flush base plate. WHY?

I have sanded various suspected contact points and can't discern any difference between the one that works fine and the one that consistently locks open with one round left. The 10 Ring

The last round is always forward in the magazine.

The 10 Ring
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Learned after ordering that my Pearce pinky rest magazine base plates are on backorder.