Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2011, 18:13   #1
Model 30

What dies are correct for the Model 30?

I wanted to make sure I get the right ones and there seem to be about 5000 opinions on which ones are right, so I turn to you for the facts.
Model 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 18:32   #2
rg1

Any carbide standard 3 die set. One die sizes, one die expands the case mouth, and the 3rd die seats and taper crimps. You want a set with a taper crimp seater or buy a separate taper crimp die. I like this RCBS : http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?status...3&promotionId=
I also like Hornady's set with taper crimp (not roll crimp). You could buy Hornady's standard set and purchase a separate Hornady taper crimp die.

Last edited by rg1; 11-23-2011 at 18:35..
rg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 19:49   #3
Model 30

Ok, good input. I had heard various theories and suggestions and wanted to talk to someone that was actually reloading for the 30. I wanted to make sure it was the taper crimp I needed. Much appreciated!!

Have yerself a great Thanksgiving!
Model 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 20:14   #4
unclebob

Do you shoot lead bullets. If you do I would suggest getting the Dillon Bullet seat and crimp dies makes it a lot easier to clean the dies without missing with the settings.
Most of my pistol configurations are Dillon or Lee sizer die. The Lee will size a little further down on the case. Redding Competition bullet seat die and either a Lee or Dillon taper crimp die.
I personally am not a big fan of RCBS dies. I Like Lee, Dillon and Redding dies. I donít think any of my tool heads have all of the same make all the way around.
If your sizer die works? That is what determions your neck tension on the bullet and bullet set back. and you just remove the bell on the case there is no need for a Lee FCD die.
GSSF Life Member
Old 11-23-2011, 21:42   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 30 View Post
Ok, good input. I had heard various theories and suggestions and wanted to talk to someone that was actually reloading for the 30. I wanted to make sure it was the taper crimp I needed. Much appreciated!!

Have yerself a great Thanksgiving!
Loading for the G30 is no diff than loading for any other 45acp. Get ABCs of Reloading, read it twice. Then as rg1 notes, any carbide die set will be fine. They all do the same thing, some are finished better than others & have better QC, but they all make good ammo if setup propperly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06   #6
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 30 View Post
I wanted to make sure I get the right ones and there seem to be about 5000 opinions on which ones are right, so I turn to you for the facts.
Buy a set of .45 ACP dies. Then go on with life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Equipment is secondary to procedure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28   #7
F106 Fan

If you buy a 3 die set from say, RCBS, you will get a sizing die, an expander die and a seater/crimp die. Bullet seating and crimping done in the same die; not a good process in my view.

If you buy a 3 die set from Dillon, you will get a sizing die, a seating die and a taper crimp die. Notice that there is no expander die! Case mouth expansion on a Dillon press is done with an expander on the powder measure.

The Dillon dies are nice in that the internals can be removed for cleaning withouth changing the settings. With lubed bullets, cleaning the seating die will be required - frequently.

The problem is, neither set is complete (IMO). I would prefer to taper crimp as a separate operation from bullet seating. So, with the RCBS set, order a separate taper crimp die. For the Dillon set, order an expander die from somebody else.

You didn't say which press you were planning to use. I can tell you, for certain, you don't want to reload pistol ammo on a single stage press. It just takes too long. Sure, most everybody starts out that way but after loading a few hundred rounds they are looking for something else.

There are a few 'stickies' at the top of this forum that discuss loading equipment.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 11-24-2011 at 09:28..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote