Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2011, 23:43   #1
easyj75

reloading for glock .40

Any advice for reloading the .40s&w for the glock.. I don't want to buy an aftermarket barrel and I am a little concerned about the lack of case support in the factory barrels that I have read about.. I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.. I am new to reloading and I am going to start reloading 9mm and .40 for glocks..

Thanks in advance ezj
Old 11-24-2011, 23:52   #2
PrecisionRifleman

Keep the loads mild and you will do fine and get decent case life. I wouldn't push them too hot in the stock barrel. If at any point you do desire to push hot loads that would be a reason to consider an after market barrel. I've gotten 8 loads out of a single 45 casing in a G30 pushing mild 800fps 230gr. I can't speak for the 40S&W in a Glock because I haven't loaded for my G23 yet, but I imagine so long as you keep your loads mild to warm you will do just fine with the stock barrel.

Edit: I could have used the casing more than 8 times, but that's the limit of where I feel comfortable in recycling a casing.

G20SF
Gen4 G23

Last edited by PrecisionRifleman; 11-24-2011 at 23:55..
PrecisionRifleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 00:08   #3
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

It's easy. The most important thing is to pick a powder you can't double charge in the .40 case. A fluffy, medium speed powder. Like WSF or Unique.

Beyond that, follow the manual and have fun. It really is easy to reload for a .40.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Get a case gauge if your worried about the bulge. It will likely tell you your brass sizes up just fine. Or you could use your dial calipers but that is boring to most people. Personally, all my .40 brass sizes to spec using a standard Lee die. LOTS of people have bought into the hype/myth of Glock bulge. So instead of reading about it, get a Lee sizing die is my recommendation and just start loading. I am going to bet your ammo sizes up fine and loads the same as any other ammo. Glock barrels are NOT horrible. They have about the same amount of case support as any other barrel (except too tight match). Glock is the victim of being the first to sell a ton of .40 guns and then Federal making some sub standard .40 brass that naturally got shot in those Glocks. It's far more interesting to blame that weird little plastic gun then the Federal.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 11-25-2011 at 08:39..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I reload for a G22 and G20SF. Love shooting my own ammo. I only use good R-P brass, CCI #500 SPP, Longshot powder and many different types of bullets.
I find a load that interest me and work up from there. I do not go over max but many of my loads are at max.
I like 180gr JHP bullets or 175gr LSWC bullets. I have not had any problems with hot reloaded ammo but you must check that everything is as it should be and meets your specs.
I find that most of my reloads beat factory ammo for performance by quite abit and actually is more accurate and cleaner.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08   #6
dwhite53

I've been loading for my G22 for a couple years with no problems. Before this gun I had a S&W Sigma .40 and had no problems. I've been reloading in general for around 30 years off and on.

As others have said, don't push max loads. Mid-speed powders preferred so you don't double charge anything. Watch your overall length with the chosen load. Make sure you've got good neck tension on the bullet to prevent set back when fining.

I've never gotten a "guppy belly" on anything I've reloaded for my Glock. Mine is a Gen 3 with good case support. It must take one SERIOUS hot load to get them. I've never been even close.

Go for. It's very rewarding and will save you a bundle of money. Well, you won't really save any money,
you'll just shoot more.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 11-25-2011 at 09:11..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:03   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyj75 View Post
Any advice for reloading the .40s&w for the glock.. I don't want to buy an aftermarket barrel and I am a little concerned about the lack of case support in the factory barrels that I have read about.. I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.. I am new to reloading and I am going to start reloading 9mm and .40 for glocks..

Thanks in advance ezj
Where do gun hsops hire these guys? Nothing wrong w/ reloading for a GLock & factory bbl. Just use the proper powder for the application & don't push for nuclear loads & reloading for the GLock is no diff than any other pistol. If you want to shoot hot 40 loads in a Glock, get a 10mm.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 11-25-2011 at 10:04..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:11   #8
Myke_Hart
Handloader

I agree with all above. Reload away.

Only get a after market barrel if you are new to reloading LEAD bullets. Cleaning leading out of those micro channels sucks. But it can still be done. And if you load lead correctly... you won't get any leading at all.

Case support is fine. I get guppy belly "glock Smile" on my hot loads but use a special die to remove it if it happens. "10mm"

Got Guns? Does she know about it?

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 11-25-2011 at 10:15..
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyj75 View Post
I've talked to guys in local gun shops and they all advise against reloading for the glocks, then on the other hand I have read many posts were people have had no trouble.

Thanks in advance ezj

I scanned your first post and just focused on the title for the most part. It's hard to respond nicely to that. Basically, they are giving advice on a topic they know nothing about. I would recommend against lead bullets in a Glock. Not because it can't be done, just because it's not as easy to do as normal barrel. Beyond that, reloading for a Glock is no different then reloading for another gun.

It's the most popular USPSA Production gun by a huge margin. The vast majority of shooters use reloads in that sport.

I would look for new people to get advice from.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 11-25-2011 at 10:34..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 14:13   #10
Murphy's Law

I've been reloading my Glock 23C for nearly 5 years now without any problems. /issues whatsoever. Used to use Titegroup and then 5.5 gr of Unique under a 180gr bullet. Recently switched to W231 just for giggles. I also bought a "EFK" after-market barrel just so I could have the best of two worlds (i.e. ported and non-ported).
Old 11-25-2011, 15:32   #11
shotgunred
reloading nut

It would be best not to get or trust the reloading data from the gun shop guys.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 23:29   #12
Lazy R

My G23 has never shot anything but reloads. I use the Montana Gold 155 grain fmj bullets, and over 6 grains of Clays and magnum primers (just because I have a lot of them) it shoots reliably and goes 1060 to 1085-ish fps.
Lazy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41   #13
Hogpauls

^Everything they said. Load away and never look back.
Old 11-26-2011, 19:47   #14
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Don't tell anyone, but my boy and I each put 150 rounds through Glock 40s today. Lead bullets even!
Old 11-26-2011, 19:47   #15
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

STOCK barrels.

The horror.
Old 11-26-2011, 19:54   #16
garyjandfamily

There's been some good advice given above. I've shot 1000's of rounds of reloads through my Glock 22 and 27 (although I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 right now.)

Give your manual a good read, but here's a great article for some light load information:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/2...40lite_091806/

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 20:11   #17
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koski View Post
It's easy. The most important thing is to pick a powder you can't double charge in the .40 case. A fluffy, medium speed powder. Like WSF or Unique.

Beyond that, follow the manual and have fun. It really is easy to reload for a .40.
Having been written by and coming from a noted champion shooter, I hope there are some readers here who give this post some serious skreet cred.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 21:06   #18
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koski View Post

People pay good money to hear Mr Koski speak, we're lucky to have such a noted expert on our humble site. He's also considered the foremost authority on the Load Master in the country.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 21:20   #19
easyj75

Thanks guys, good stuff
Old 11-26-2011, 21:41   #20
dvrdwn72

I've shot thousands of reloads, even lead. With lead though all you have to da is clean the barrel a lot. I reload 4.3 grains titegroup with 180 grain precision delta at 1.126 oal.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote