GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2011, 19:34   #1
kayl

Taunton police take delivery of new .45-caliber handguns...

http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x...ice-Department

Great to see a dept. get new, standardized guns, but this article is full of a TON of bad info!

Quote:
“We put heavy emphasis on accuracy,” he said, adding that “a slow hit beats a fast miss,” coining a phrase often employed by TPD Lt. Mike Costa.

A 9mm gun might carry more rounds in its magazine than the M&P45, but it is also inherently less accurate, said Walsh, who said that the old military adage “spray and pray” is not compatible with current police gun technique.
Doh!
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 19:38   #2
blueiron

Nice to see that hardly anything changes.

In 1985, we were told by a councilman that he would never approve .45ACP sidearms because he shot one while in the Army at Fort Dix and they couldn't hit a barn at 25 yards.

I so badly wanted to yell out 'Operator Error!'
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 19:50   #3
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Nice to see that hardly anything changes.

In 1985, we were told by a councilman that he would never approve .45ACP sidearms because he shot one while in the Army at Fort Dix and they couldn't hit a barn at 25 yards.
Not to side track this thread, but I underwent my academy training at Fort Dix. That place is brutally hot in the spring and summer months, and gets arctic cold in the winter.

We still do rifle quals down there from time to time.
Old 11-26-2011, 20:36   #4
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
I love my TRS, and my Glock 21, but how is a 9mm 'inherently' less accurate? Just posturing for media?
Old 11-26-2011, 20:58   #5
car541
Patrol Hairbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailNinja View Post
I love my TRS, and my Glock 21, but how is a 9mm 'inherently' less accurate? Just posturing for media?
It is probably posturing for the media, but in general, 9mm parabellum cartidges have histrically been considered to be less inherently accurate due to the slight taper of the 9mm para casing. If the chamber headspace of a 9mm is not well matched to the cartridge casing length, the sides of the casing can actually become quite loose in the chamber (when compared to a straight walled case).

For practical purposes in a police service weapon, it is meaningless, and the taper has some positive qualities as far as the functioning of the weapon, but from a purely academic point of view, the statement is not actually false.
car541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 21:10   #6
kayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by car541 View Post
It is probably posturing for the media, but in general, 9mm parabellum cartidges have histrically been considered to be less inherently accurate due to the slight taper of the 9mm para casing. If the chamber headspace of a 9mm is not well matched to the cartridge casing length, the sides of the casing can actually become quite loose in the chamber (when compared to a straight walled case).

For practical purposes in a police service weapon, it is meaningless, and the taper has some positive qualities as far as the functioning of the weapon, but from a purely academic point of view, the statement is not actually false.
Interesting, thanks for the info- I did not know that.

I recall reading an article about the Army's pistol marksmanship team switching to 9mm Berettas from .45 1911s and the resultant reduction in group size, but that may have had more to do with the bullet size than inherent accuracy.
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 22:00   #7
car541
Patrol Hairbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayl View Post
Interesting, thanks for the info- I did not know that.

I recall reading an article about the Army's pistol marksmanship team switching to 9mm Berettas from .45 1911s and the resultant reduction in group size, but that may have had more to do with the bullet size than inherent accuracy.
I will assume that was the old American Rifleman Article where they reamed out the front of the slides and added a matched tapered bushing to the front of the barrel? As I remember it there were also some set screws in the frame to freeze the rear barrel geometry.

I always believed that USAMU switched to berettas to match their competition weapons to the service issue weapons, which makes sense given that they are really there to promote marksmanship within the Army (as well as serve as a recruitment tool)
car541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 22:08   #8
blueiron

The 9x19mm cartridge can be very accurate. Find and shoot a SiG P-210-5. They are incredibly accurate in ISU 50 meter matches.

It all depends on the quality of manufacture of the ammo/weapon and the ability of the shooter.

I suspect that the councilperson fool making that claim was of the school of thought that believes more rounds available in a basic weapon load out will lead to 'spray and pray' shooting techniques.

Hopefully, the officers at the PD will enjoy their new pistols. It can be either Christmas or a curse, depending on what is bought and if the officers had any input.
Old 11-27-2011, 00:26   #9
The-Fly
The Bofh

Quote:
but it is also inherently less accurate
What a ******.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
Old 11-27-2011, 05:03   #10
OLY-M4gery

Taunton has 115 officers?
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:37   #11
4949shooter

Well if they think this is going to be a fix for improving qualification scores they are mistaken.

Anyhoo, as long as the guys/gals are happy with their new guns that's all that matters. I wonder which .45 load they are running?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:57   #12
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
The only thing about the 9mm that can be a little bad is the fact that they are a lighter bullet. They go further in flight. But, they are not less accurate.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Taunton Police Chief Edward Walsh says he decided, after being promoted to chief in 2010, it was high time the department adopt a philosophy of “commonality,” in terms of training and equipment.
Quote:
Walsh said he has since mandated everyone on the force carry the new gun of choice, including himself. In order to set an example, he’s relinquished his Glock 22, a .40-caliber he bought years ago after joining the police force.
“I didn’t like what they issued me,” he explained.
Soooo, he agrees with commonality... unless it's not of his choosing?
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 15:32   #14
unit 900

Despite some misinformation in the article, it seems that the Chief did his homework before making a decision. Whether he is right or wrong by someone else's lights, his due diligence is not the norm in the police world, and should be acknowledged.

Last edited by unit 900; 11-27-2011 at 15:32..
unit 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 22:31   #15
CanIhaveGasCash

Many departments are making the switch to 9mm pistols because they are easier for the average cop to shoot. It seems strange to switch to .45.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:13   #16
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIhaveGasCash View Post
Many departments are making the switch to 9mm pistols because they are easier for the average cop to shoot. It seems strange to switch to .45.

They are switching because of two primary reasons - one, because 9mm ammo is cheaper to buy per unit and two, because it allows insufficiently live fire trained officers to maintain their scores and certifications when range training is cut to the minimums.

The first reason is a valid one, but there is no viable reason to cut firearms range time on the admin bet that officers are not likely to be involved in a lethal use of force incident over a given period of time.

If an officer/deputy/trooper wants a 9mm - fine, as long as quality ammo is used, but going to easier to shoot weapons because of training and range cutbacks borders on the criminal. Cut out the "executive retreats", the out of state admin training, take home vehicles for people not on call, etc.

Some chiefs actually are gun people and understand what it takes for the street cop to do their job. An easier to shoot weapon does not make an officer more effective. If they did, we'd all be carrying Walther OSP .22 Short rapid fire target pistols.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23   #17
MAGlock
CLM Number 61
Charter Lifetime Member

I suspect that because the Mass State Police are switching the the M&P 45 it might have had something to do with it also.

Last edited by MAGlock; 11-28-2011 at 07:23..
MAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06   #18
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

MSP is switching too? Well now, that is interesting . . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:10   #19
Japle
John, Viera, Fl

Quote:
From a practical standpoint it was inherently dangerous. Walsh cites a nightmare scenario wherein a cop, during a shoot-out, runs out of ammunition and is handed bullets by a fellow officer that either don’t fit the gun’s magazine, or do fit but can’t be fired.
This has never happened.
Japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:17   #20
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
This has never happened.

In my entire career in LE, I never encountered a Banzai charge by either criminal litters or mass murderers.

This argument is the biggest strawman argument in firearms selection by administrators. There are valid arguments to be made for standardized weapons by an agency, but the "Tarawa/Chosin/Khe Sanh" scenario is not one of them.