Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:19   #1
federali

HR 218 Exemption on Magazine Capacity?

With the most recent changes in HR 218, does anyone know if current/former LEOs are exempt from magazine capacity restrictions in the handfull of states restricting capacity to ten rounds?

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true: Abraham Lincoln
federali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23   #2
Steve in PA

They did not address the magazine capacity restriction.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:24   #3
Patchman
Florist

^^^ The recent changes did not address ammo capacity. It only addressed ammo restrictions (ie: N.J.'s "no hollow points") by removing that type of restriction.

I would imagine if you're still a working LEO, and you carried your duty gun/approved off-duty under LEOSA, capacity would not be an issue. If you're retired, then I don't know.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 11-27-2011 at 12:28..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57   #4
Trigger Finger

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the magazine capacity is a non issue if you obtained them legally. Like you still have them after you retire! The issue on the magazine capacity is if you are obtaining them afterwords, like through the mail or from someone else!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 13:00   #5
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I don't know. Should I carry my usual tool up to the northeast this summer I may go ahead and go by magazine restriction to help keep out of any trouble that could erupt from it, since I am pretty much on my own anyway for off duty purposes. In which case I may get myself a gun that carries bigger bullets.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 14:10   #6
Officer X

Personally speaking, if you're an out of state LEO with valid creds, the last thing I'm going to worry about is your mag capacity or if you have hollowpoints.

That's just my opinion though.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 15:34   #7
Steve in PA

^^^^^ Hopefully very true, however......until they addressed the hollowpoint ammo issue, we all "heard" about the numerous arrests that were made in NJ, but none ever seemed to make it to LEO web sites or publications!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 16:59   #8
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
Personally speaking, if you're an out of state LEO with valid creds, the last thing I'm going to worry about is your mag capacity or if you have hollowpoints.

That's just my opinion though.
Yes, this is how I would want it to work out in real life - especially for the retired LEOs. I was looking at it from what the black letter law actually said (or didn't say). I certainly don't want to be the test case.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the magazine capacity is a non issue if you obtained them legally. Like you still have them after you retire! The issue on the magazine capacity is if you are obtaining them afterwords, like through the mail or from someone else!
My understanding is that out of state LEO's on official duty is considered a CA peace officer while in state under our penal code so the same exemptions for large capacity feeding devices (our lingo for regular capacity magazine over 10 rounds) would apply to them as long as they are working.

Off-duty LEO's here on vacation or whatever who are carrying under LEOSA are not considered CA peace officers but rather, civilians who have carry privileges under federal law. As such, they would not be exempt from the law prohibiting the importation of large capacity feeding devices into this state, unless the magazine was already in the state prior to the ban.

There is some weird loophole about the magazine being in the state and then you move outside of the state and now you're coming back or something but I didn't read into it much.

As a practical matter, I wouldn't give a rat's arse if you are an off duty carrying under LEOSA and had a beta mag on your AR pistol which you concealed under your tank top and cargo shorts, but unfortunately, I can't speak for all of my brethren and some overzealous DA's who want to make a name for himself.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20   #10
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
^^^ The recent changes did not address ammo capacity. It only addressed ammo restrictions (ie: N.J.'s "no hollow points") by removing that type of restriction.

I would imagine if you're still a working LEO, and you carried your duty gun/approved off-duty under LEOSA, capacity would not be an issue. If you're retired, then I don't know.
Funny part is NJ retired Officers still can't carry hollowpoint in NJ as per the NJSP.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24   #11
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Funny part is NJ retired Officers still can't carry hollowpoint in NJ as per the NJSP.
http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

Page #3: S.1132

Quote:
Can I carry any type of firearm or ammunition under this law?

No. The exemption provided under this Federal law applies to the carriage of concealed firearms only. The definition of “firearm” in this statute specifically excludes machine guns, silencers, explosives or other destructive devices as these terms are defined in Federal law.
However, recent amendments to the Federal law do extend the exemption to allow the carriage of ammunition “not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.” This means that qualified active and retired law enforcement officers may carry ammunition in States which may have prohibited the possession of certain ammunition by persons not actively serving in law enforcement within that State.
I just checked the NJSP website and apparently it hasn't been updated since 03/10 (for Retired PO carry permits) or to reflect the new changes......Go figure.....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 13:23   #12
Sippo

Just attended a 4-hour seminar sponsored by Sheepdog Academy (http://hr218leosa.com/?page=home) on LEOSA. Magazine restrictions do apply to off-duty carry under LEOSA. Steve Mannion, Esq., in fact listed the usual suspect States that magazine restrictions apply. This was a seminar intended for LEO's, active and retired.

You're right, Mr President. Central PA does love their guns and religion.

Last edited by Sippo; 11-28-2011 at 13:26..
Sippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:34   #13
Patchman
Florist

LEOSA's black letter law doesn't address this ammo limit restriction. AFAIK, no case law is relevant on this point. So, unfortunitely, Mr. Mannion's legal opinion seems to be on point.

How many states have ammo limit restriction? CA and NY. Who else?

Old 11-28-2011, 15:50   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

carry you duty gun, as in issued by the department. if youre challenged in a commie state about its magazine capasity what can they do under leosa? arrest you? seize your duty gun and let the attorney generals fight it out? would be an interesting test case and id like to see a jury's decision on it, not a judge's.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 16:18   #15
Patchman
Florist

^^^ That's why I don't see this as an issue for off-duty LEOs carrying in those states.

For the retired LEOs, I'd like to see black letter law allowing them to carry mags they were issued as LEOs. Or at least, (requiring them to meet the shooting qualifications of the state where they reside) allowing them to use the same mag capacity as that of their resident state's LE.

Old 11-29-2011, 00:26   #16
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
carry you duty gun, as in issued by the department. if youre challenged in a commie state about its magazine capasity what can they do under leosa? arrest you? seize your duty gun and let the attorney generals fight it out? would be an interesting test case and id like to see a jury's decision on it, not a judge's.
Many County Prosecutors in NJ forbid Officers from taking their dept issued weapons out of state. Liability reasons they say.
Old 11-29-2011, 00:30   #17
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

Page #3: S.1132

I just checked the NJSP website and apparently it hasn't been updated since 03/10 (for Retired PO carry permits) or to reflect the new changes......Go figure.....
From what I've heard recently on this, the prohibition still applies to NJ retirees. They recommend either critical defense, power balls or EFMJs to circumvent the stupidity of NJ. Also permits for retired carry in NJ are backed up at least 6 months. Almost seems like they don't even want retired cops carrying here.

Last edited by mrsurfboard; 11-29-2011 at 00:31..
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 00:54   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Sounds about right for Jersey. Wonder how CA is implementing their retiree CCW's for those agencies which are dicking their own people around.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42   #19
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
From what I've heard recently on this, the prohibition still applies to NJ retirees. They recommend either critical defense, power balls or EFMJs to circumvent the stupidity of NJ. Also permits for retired carry in NJ are backed up at least 6 months. Almost seems like they don't even want retired cops carrying here.
I'm not sure just how many Troopers are assigned to the RPO Permit Unit. Maybe 4949 can chime in on this one....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:38   #20
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
Carrying the department issued duty gun while off duty is actually prohibited by more agencies than you would think.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote