Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28   #1
norton

Wrong shot bar

Got my Mec sizemaster mounted, put together. Green duster wads, Winchester primers and green dot powder.
Resized the Remington Hulls, new primer, powder wad and shot added.
Wont crimp.
I have the wrong size shot bar. Too much lead.
Have to get a different shot bar.
That means I have no excuse not to watch the hapless Colts play football.
Old 11-27-2011, 13:14   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

If you've checked the chart and confirmed that it is indeed the wrong bar you just need to get the correct one, no big deal.

If, on the other hand the chart indicates that it is the correct bar but you can't crimp there are two things to check; your wads, make sure they are the proper cup size for your chosen shot load, 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, 1 1/8 ounce, etc.

Also check your wad pressure to make sure you're seating the wad deep enough in the hull.

Don't feel bad, this is a common flatlander problem... nothing that a little adult supervision can't correct.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 13:38   #3
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
If you've checked the chart and confirmed that it is indeed the wrong bar you just need to get the correct one, no big deal.

If, on the other hand the chart indicates that it is the correct bar but you can't crimp there are two things to check; your wads, make sure they are the proper cup size for your chosen shot load, 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, 1 1/8 ounce, etc.

Also check your wad pressure to make sure you're seating the wad deep enough in the hull.

Don't feel bad, this is a common flatlander problem... nothing that a little adult supervision can't correct.

Jack
Jack, as I often tell Mrs. Norton, I am not really as stupid as I look-
After checking the chart, then looking at my shot bar, it is for a 1 1/8 oz shot bar. My wads are for 1 oz. When I got my recipe, I thought the shot size on the bar could be changed with inserts. Only the powder charge is changeable by inserts.
On another note, when I was a teenager I loaded many shotshells with a Mec Jr. My dad set up the re loader. We didn't bother with matching hulls with powder, wads-this was in the day when we used felt wads and cardboard over powder cards. We loaded every hull we could find. I shot thousands of shot shell rounds without a hitch. Now I see everything is supposed to match the manuals.
Old 11-27-2011, 13:50   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Rules always seem to interfere with what you want to get accomplished in life... mores the pity.

If you really don't want to to watch the hapless Colts you can use an old timers trick, (read that as 'cheap bastard'), and use your current bar until you get a new one.

Just line the cavity of the bar with strips of tape, black electrical tape works and is easier to handle than duct tape but doesn't last as long. Apply layers and weigh your throws until you hit your desired load.

Trim the tape on the top and bottom of the bar with an Exacto knife so it slides easily. If you plan on using the bar for cases of shells coat the top and bottom of the tape edges with clear nail polish and let it dry. This will help keep the tape from folding over as the shot falls into the cavity. (The lovely Mrs. N probably has clear nail polish.)

Or I guess you could just watch the game.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 16:14   #5
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Rules always seem to interfere with what you want to get accomplished in life... mores the pity.

If you really don't want to to watch the hapless Colts you can use an old timers trick, (read that as 'cheap bastard'), and use your current bar until you get a new one.

Just line the cavity of the bar with strips of tape, black electrical tape works and is easier to handle than duct tape but doesn't last as long. Apply layers and weigh your throws until you hit your desired load.

Trim the tape on the top and bottom of the bar with an Exacto knife so it slides easily. If you plan on using the bar for cases of shells coat the top and bottom of the tape edges with clear nail polish and let it dry. This will help keep the tape from folding over as the shot falls into the cavity. (The lovely Mrs. N probably has clear nail polish.)

Or I guess you could just watch the game.

Jack
I did. They lost.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-27-2011, 17:21   #6
unclebob

You can use a shotgun hull also. Cut it so it is flush with top and bottom of the shot bar and also cut it in half or less. Then trim the sides of the hull until you get the amount of shot that you need.
GSSF Life Member
Old 11-29-2011, 18:17   #7
norton

Stops at the Gander Mt. stores in Ft Wayne and Indy (its good to travel in your job) yielded shot bars but not the right size. Found one at my local dealer-he's not open on Mondays, the reason I didn't check their first-
Loaded up 2 hulls to test the results, and fed them in my single barrel. Out to the range next Saturday to check the bang factor before going into production.