SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2011, 15:27   #1
cessnastud
Rawr!!!

Permanantly attached flash hider?

I'm looking at getting a 14.5" BCM middy upper with a permanently attached Battle Comp 1.5. My concern is that having the Battle Comp permanently attached, I'm "locking" myself into the hand guards that are installed at the time I purchase the upper. The upper (VTAC TRX) doesn't have a FSB, so I thinking that I shouldn't have any issues if I decide to tinker down the road. Am I missing something here?
cessnastud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 15:41   #2
boomhower

It just depends on the handguards, some you can replace over a pinned comp and some you can't. It does limit what you can do. Just make sure you know what set-up you want. That's why I always suggest a 16" rifle for a first time buyer. My next will be a 14.5" since I know what I like know. Your going to love the BC.

Last edited by boomhower; 11-27-2011 at 15:42..
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 16:47   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Outstanding advice Boomhower!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 20:48   #4
mjkeat

The VTAC/Troy TRX has a proprietary barrel nut. W/ the pinned BC1.5 you'll be limited to rails that'll fit that barrel nut which are the VTAC//Troy TRX. Which in my oppinion isn't a bad thing.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 21:20   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
It just depends on the handguards, some you can replace over a pinned comp and some you can't. It does limit what you can do. Just make sure you know what set-up you want. That's why I always suggest a 16" rifle for a first time buyer. My next will be a 14.5" since I know what I like know. Your going to love the BC.
Absolutely. That 1.5" isn't worth the headache and pain in the backside you get from pinning or welding the muzzle device.

if it comes with the Troy/VTAC rail, you can switch between the TRX extreme, and the (I believe) TRX standard without major issues. Anything else, as others have said, will require a barrel nut change, which means removing the muzzle brake.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 16:33   #6
MStarmer
In Jail...

Sampson or Rainier Arms Evolution rail. Problem solved...
Old 11-29-2011, 16:38   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Absolutely. That 1.5" isn't worth the headache and pain in the backside you get from pinning or welding the muzzle device.

I disagree,......if you take your time, research and decide how you want
the upper configured, it's not an issue.
Old 11-29-2011, 16:45   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I disagree,......if you take your time, research and decide how you want
the upper configured, it's not an issue.
A lot of first time users either don't research it enough, or havent tried enough different things to be sure of what they want. Personally, I would'nt hesitate to build a pinned 14.5", because I already know exactly what would be going on it. IMO, for someone's first AR, a 16" barrel is a better way to go, since it's a great platform to tinker and experiment.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 17:53   #9
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I have a 14.5" HBAR with permanently attached AK74 muzzle brake / compensator ( Flash Hiders are heroin-style illegal in Jersey). It was explained to me by my gunsmith ( who is excellent ) that a few things come into play: he understood it was my first AR AND maybe I didnt do the most research in the world Or quite possibly I didn't get the absolute most perfectly custom setup I would grt if I had a million bucks and designed the thing piece by piece to have him install and Build it perfectly custom. Having said that, he's like , so you can't say install say a truly free flpt quad rail system cause of the barrel muZzle device. So instead of say a Daniel defense ff rail he would have to install for me ANYWAY just buy the omega rail. And say I wanted to change the muzzle brake to a different one. It would be like $150 minimum for say a battle comp , plus around a $100 of his labor charge. Is a new $250 muzzle device worth it? Especially if you made him take off the device to install a hand guard/ rail etc And put it back on AND THEN LATER decide on changing the muzzle device. Best advice he had was AT THE MINIMUM you want to just buy a new upper instead of all that jazz above. Probably just want to get you another new AR to compliment what you have. Pick something stylistically different and design it a little different and hav fun and have a whole different rifle , and enjoy the one you have already for its benefits and uniniqueness too. And it made sense. So I love my carbine with the 14.5 HBAR and AK74 brake and Magpul MOE hand guard. Maybe my next will be a 16" mid length or LMT 16" defender mrp with rail and either a crowned muzzle or different stly brake and hand guard.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 17:58   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
A lot of first time users either don't research it enough, or havent tried enough different things to be sure of what they want. Personally, I would'nt hesitate to build a pinned 14.5", because I already know exactly what would be going on it. IMO, for someone's first AR, a 16" barrel is a better way to go, since it's a great platform to tinker and experiment.

Darn good point,.........
Old 11-30-2011, 07:58   #11
CAcop

Or if you are going to go 14.5 and pinned on your first be prepared to do a lot of work to change it or buy a new upper. Of course now you have one lower and two uppers. What is a gun nut going to do? Hmmmm.....
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35   #12
mjkeat

Installed a Samson Evo on a BCM w/ pinned BC 1.5 last night. Had to get the Dremmel out but I enjoy it. The only downside is the metal shavings/dust that seems to get everywhere from the delta ring and FSP.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37   #13
Nutt51

Had the same discussion with a fellow AR owner awhile back.
I own a BCM 16" middy and a BCM 14.5" middy.
I have an A2 flash hider on the 16" and had to have the extended
A2 permanently attached on the 14.5" to make the length legal.
The difference in length of the two barrels is about 3/4 of and inch.
If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a second 16"
BCM middy and would have the freedom of other options with a
removable hider/supressor.
For less than an inch of difference, it is not worth the trouble to me.
If we were talking a SBR in the 10" to 12" range, I could see it.
Just my opinions here, but you will love your BCM whichever
barrel you choose, great company and products. Good luck.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote