GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2011, 14:21   #1
DeputyAlex

Is a eotech or a optic really worth it? I'm thinking about selling mine.

Is a eotech or a optic really worth it? Im thinking about selling my 512 to fund my next firearm purchase. I have had it for about 6 months and all it really did was add more weight to a already heavy rifle and make myself look like a mall ninja at the range. Any thoughts or suggestions?
DeputyAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 14:26   #2
surf

Red dot optic worth it? Mall Ninja at the range? Really? What range is that so I can steer clear of it?

At least on a critical use rifle they should be considered standard equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 14:27   #3
Doc8404
Master Chief

Everyone i know likes them...prices for new have dropped drastically and there are appears to be a lot of people selling for cheap on various boards....
Old 11-28-2011, 14:52   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

While I personally wouldn't use an Eotech unless it was issued......

What crack are you smoking? Do you only shoot off a bench at stationary targets?

If you seriously are a deputy, you need to attend some professional training with a rifle......NOW. No more guns, learn to use the one you got.

And if you think an Eotech adds weight, what the hell do you already have on there?

At one point I ran an Aimpoint, quadrant sight, leaf sight, PEQ2, Surefire light onboard the rifle, plus an M203, and at 11lb i sometimes found it unbalanced (front heavy), but never particularly heavy as a rifle.

Sounds like you need professional training from Gunsite, EAG, Trident Concepts or MagPul and some serious gym time.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 14:55   #5
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Just for range plinking, I would say that if you are good with your irons, then no, you don't need optics. For anything else, war, if used at work, competitions, and especially as you age and your eyesight begins to fade a bit, yes you need some type of optic.

I sold my Eotech and dropped a few notches down in the optics department on my rifles because I couldn't justify the cost for what it was being used for.
IGotIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 14:59   #6
M&P15T
Beard One

I run an Eotech, and I can't imagine running an AR without some type of optic. I personally find my Eotech incredibly accurate, extremely fast, and very efficient. I couldn't care less about the additional few ounces, and I seriously couldn't care less about how anyone else views my using it at the range.

F a buncha what anyone else thinks, does it work well for you?
Old 11-28-2011, 15:07   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I have an Aimpoint and a light on my suppressed SBR (Home defense.)
I have an ACOG on my carbine (General use out to 300 yards.)
I have iron sights on my truck gun (Throw it in the back for close encounters of the mobile kind.)

Different tools for different weapons.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:13   #8
DeputyAlex

I haven't been a cop for a few years now. And my AR is just a fun gun nothing more. Compared to my ak or 870 it feels heavy I see the eotech and think I could have spent that money on something else. Don't jump on me because I don't see a use for it in my day to day life.
DeputyAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:14   #9
shadow65

Send a message via ICQ to shadow65
In my opinion, for L.E. work you need dot optic. I ran an Eotech while on the E.R.T. There is no doubt it will speed up your target aquisition.
I like the Eotech because of the 1 moa dot in the center and the 65 moa ring. The 1 moa dot is great for longer range preceision shooting compared to a bigger dot on the Aimpoint.
I also use Aimpoints. Simple, reliable dot optic. Battle proven.
For a duty weapon, an optic and light are necessities. I use an Aimpoint and TLR on my 10.5" Entry weapon. Light weght and functional. I also use a TD QD stubby vert grip.
Take the other crap, whatever it may be, off.
Dave

"Better To Die For Something Than Live For Nothing"
shadow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:18   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

Even if w're talking nothing more than range fun (which is all I do with my AR) an Eotech is epically accurate. The two best times I had shooting my AR were the result of the effortless nature of using an Eotech to make precise shots at 50-100 yards....much easier than with irons.

Put the dot on the target (once poa/poi/hold-over has been figured out) and make golf balls and clay pigeons disappear.
Old 11-28-2011, 15:43   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

The only two reasons I don't use an EO Tech is the reticle looks fuzzy as crap to me (astigmatism), and the battery life blows. EO Techs, Aimpoints, and other quality optics are not mall ninja.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 15:52   #12
arclight610

Im just as good with irons, but a red dot makes that "just as good" much easier to obtain
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 16:05   #13
surf

Alex, no one is jumping on you. It is pretty common knowledge and sense these days that a red dot optic is a pure advantage and as I mentioned above pretty standard equipment on a defensive rifle, be it personal home, LE duty or military use. I cannot fathom a range where people would consider such an optic to be considered "mall ninja", especially this day in age.

Everyone generally stresses that providing information about your needs / uses is critical. If you would have simply explained in your initial post, the same things that you eventually did in your follow up post we can avoid any misunderstandings. I have to admit that when I saw your user name then read your initial post I too said WTF? Which is why I put the disclaimer of "at least on a critical use rifle". If I knew you needs or if you like recreational shooting with irons only, well then go for it.

Last edited by surf; 11-28-2011 at 16:06..
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 16:16   #14
HAIL CAESAR

If your having fun with your rifle....shoot it with just irons. Or shoot it upside down, it doesn't matter as it is just for fun. If you don't like or need the Eo, sell it.
Old 11-28-2011, 16:24   #15
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

I sold my 512 and it was the most regretted gun transaction to date.

PM me if you're trying to get rid of that.
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 17:25   #16
TedG
Infidel USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
If your having fun with your rifle....shoot it with just irons. Or shoot it upside down, it doesn't matter as it is just for fun. If you don't like or need the Eo, sell it.
Wise advice grasshopper.

Become an Organ Donor today:
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 18:22   #17
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
While I personally wouldn't use an Eotech unless it was issued......

What crack are you smoking? Do you only shoot off a bench at stationary targets?

If you seriously are a deputy, you need to attend some professional training with a rifle......NOW. No more guns, learn to use the one you got.

And if you think an Eotech adds weight, what the hell do you already have on there?

At one point I ran an Aimpoint, quadrant sight, leaf sight, PEQ2, Surefire light onboard the rifle, plus an M203, and at 11lb i sometimes found it unbalanced (front heavy), but never particularly heavy as a rifle.

Sounds like you need professional training from Gunsite, EAG, Trident Concepts or MagPul and some serious gym time.
Old 11-28-2011, 18:27   #18
bmoore

Shoot it how ever you like it. If its just a range gun (like most of ours are) just set it up however you like and shoot the crap out of it. Dont worry about Mr Murphy jumping on you, his replies are typically sarcastic. Atleast when he replied to you 50% of the rehtoric was directed towards your question, 50% is pretty rare so congrats to you.

Last edited by bmoore; 11-28-2011 at 18:28..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 18:37   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
......Dont worry about Mr Murphy jumping on you, his replies are typically sarcastic. Atleast when he replied to you 50% of the rehtoric was directed towards your question, 50% is pretty rare so congrats to you.

You don't have a clue,.......
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 18:41   #20
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
You don't have a clue,.......
I dont want to either. Asking a fairly new person what kind of crack their smoking is kinda low rent. You can bow down all you want. Isnt there a deal in the classified section for you to go pee on?

Last edited by bmoore; 11-28-2011 at 18:57..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote