Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2011, 19:39   #1
dondulah

Stock g20 and underwoods ammo

I was looking to purchase a new g20 because I want a more powerful gun than my g23, g26 and g30. I have been reading that Underwoods 10mm ammo looks like it is powerful and a good value. I like keeping my glocks stock. I see many folks here swapping out barrels for supported chambers and recoil springs. Is this necessary to shoot hotter ammo like Underwoodsor am I good stock? Thanks!
dondulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 19:43   #2
awdxtc

I don't think you will have any problems seeing how the underwood ammo is not as hot as the nuclear ammo that swampfox offered. I will let you know for sure not this weekend but the following weekend. I wish I could get to the range this weekend but I will be in NYC.
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 19:47   #3
danattherock

Many folks, including myself, put 20-22 lb springs in the guns if shooting high power ammo. Also, a safe (and more accurate) route is an upgraded barrel. While some will tell you shooting hot stuff in a stock barrel is fine, others will disagree and show you numerous links where Glock barrels have "kaboomed". Big thread now in the general glocking forum where a G20 with stock barrel blew up. Common sense is needed, especially if shooting hot stuff loaded with hard cast bullets from stock barrels. Frequent cleaning and such is the common rule. Is it safe to shoot this ammo in a stock barrel? Probably. For $165 I was willing to put a KKM barrel in mine and worry about other things in life than my gun exploding. The added accuracy was staggering I must admit.

My KKM barrel initial range report with pics....

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1380886

-Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 11-28-2011 at 19:54..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:33   #4
twisted1
head busta

You will have no problems. Now if you where shooting swamp fox "rip brother" then I would say "hell yes buy lw, kkm, or any other aftermarket barrel!"
twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 21:00   #5
rcd567

I've fired Underwood's Ammo through my stock Glock 20sf without any issues...other than the ear to ear smile on my face afterwards.
Old 11-28-2011, 21:12   #6
TRaGiK

Send a message via Yahoo to TRaGiK
Underwood's ammo is fine in a stock G20. I get a slight smiley and the typical bulge on about 1/3 of the rounds I shot, but nothing terrible.
TRaGiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 21:33   #7
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

You will be fine. I've shot loads that were pretty ridiculous through my bone stock G29. If you test it and get Glocksmiles, then stop. But you won't. Bulges are ok, smiles are not. Bulges happen even with weak ammo.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54   #8
dondulah

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am interested in good self defense loads like underwood. Reliability and safety (no kabooms) are my biggest concern, over the ability to shoot nuclear loads. I am assuming the g20 ballistic firepower with name brand or underwood ammo is still above and beyond good 230 gr 45acp ammo.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:47   #9
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondulah View Post
...I am assuming the g20 ballistic firepower with name brand or underwood ammo is still above and beyond good 230 gr 45acp ammo.
Your assumption is correct, but Underwood is further "beyond good 230 gr 45acp ammo" than say, Hornady 10mm.

To the topic; Underwood 10mm is absolutely safe, (highly effective, and a hell of a lot of fun), to fire from your stock Glock barrel.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-29-2011 at 14:49..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:02   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

UW ammo is showing itself to be full power and affordable.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 14:43   #11
dondulah

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am sold. I am going with a stock 20sf (including recoil spring and barrel) and underwood ammo.
Old 11-29-2011, 15:03   #12
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

If I were you, I'd order some Underwood 200gr XTP JHP rnds, (just became available today), and some 135gr nosler JHPs. That way you can try the lightest 10mm loading, (light in terms of bullet weight obviously, not power), and one of the heaviest.

When the 180gr FMJ rnds become available again, (sold out atm), I suggest buying some of those as well. They're the best choice for general range ammo, as they're a little cheaper.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 11-29-2011 at 15:05..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 16:42   #13
dondulah

Quote:
Originally Posted by post-apocalyptic View Post
If I were you, I'd order some Underwood 200gr XTP JHP rnds, (just became available today), and some 135gr nosler JHPs. That way you can try the lightest 10mm loading, (light in terms of bullet weight obviously, not power), and one of the heaviest.

When the 180gr FMJ rnds become available again, (sold out atm), I suggest buying some of those as well. They're the best choice for general range ammo, as they're a little cheaper.
Thanks I think I will take that advice. Now I just need to find the best deal on a 20sf.
Old 11-29-2011, 17:44   #14
awdxtc

Contact dave at www.goingquite.com and see if he has any, I got mine from him for $525 shipped!!!!!
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:10   #15
bear10

Glock smiles

the only Glock smiles that I have experienced with my G20 with a stock barrel are the ones on my face after shooting it and the attention it gets from other shhoters at the range!
bear10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:18   #16
ModGlock17

I've a 6" Lone Wolf Dist barrel for sale. It'd fit in a G20.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 16:23   #17
SgtSchroeder27

I'll have to look at some UW ammo for mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SgtSchroeder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 17:57   #18
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondulah View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far. I am interested in good self defense loads like underwood. Reliability and safety (no kabooms) are my biggest concern, over the ability to shoot nuclear loads. I am assuming the g20 ballistic firepower with name brand or underwood ammo is still above and beyond good 230 gr 45acp ammo.
Nothing is more reliable than the stock setup. I would suggest that you aquire the ammo you want to demo for self defense and shoot it in your stock barrel. You will likely find that the stock setup works reliably with no concerning issues with spent brass. But if not performing as intended, then it will be time to fiddle with things. A lot of guys find reliability can be tempered when swapping parts -especially for a tight aftermarket barrel. The design of the G20 barrel is to be a combat reliable platform. Now the stock sights are an exception. They are lacking.

Glocks do blow up like any pistol can. The sheer number of them in circulation would statistically mean that you are going to see more Glock kabooms than others.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 18:03   #19
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
You will be fine. I've shot loads that were pretty ridiculous through my bone stock G29. If you test it and get Glocksmiles, then stop. But you won't. Bulges are ok, smiles are not. Bulges happen even with weak ammo.
Bingo. Make sure to look for Carrier's stickied wax tube thread on the 10mm reloading page.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote