Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2011, 20:09   #1
Zut

School Question

One of my kids is a HS freshman. She has chosen President Kennedy's assassination as a topic for a presentation. She asked me for a spent shell casing to use as a visual aid. I gave her one, then got to thinking about the "zero tolerance" atmosphere prevalent in most schools. What do you guys think? Her teacher says no problem, but I worry that some lib student or teacher might freak out. Kid is a straight A student and very serious...
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 20:12   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Like many things in today's world, it's out of your hands. Do what you think you should and P*** on it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 20:19   #3
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
One of my kids is a HS freshman. She has chosen President Kennedy's assassination as a topic for a presentation. She asked me for a spent shell casing to use as a visual aid. I gave her one, then got to thinking about the "zero tolerance" atmosphere prevalent in most schools. What do you guys think? Her teacher says no problem, but I worry that some lib student or teacher might freak out. Kid is a straight A student and very serious...
First, what is the relevance of the shell casing to the topic? meaning what does a spent shell casing add to the presentation vs. a PPT pic of one etc.

I hate to say it, as it's a pathetic point that we've become to this, but I'd want something from the principal in writing saying that it was OK. Otherwise, I'd make the point without a shell casing.

I don't have kids, but it seems like that's what our education system has become.
Old 11-29-2011, 20:38   #4
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I would take a picture of the casing. Then, take a picture of the picture. Then, take a picture of the picture of the picture.

I think if it is thrice removed from reality you should be okay.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 21:36   #5
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I think if it is thrice removed from reality you should be okay.
I don't know, I seem to remember a thread about a kindergarten kid drawing a gun on paper, and getting suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 22:05   #6
toddmog

It also depends on your area. In my neck of the woods, camo and 4x4's are plentiful and hunting & shooting are the norm. I recently gave a HS student around 100 empty 12 GA hulls as well as 50 each .38 sp & 9mm casings. He needed them for some kind of presentation. There weren't any issues.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 22:10   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

Golly I drove to HS everyday with a PSE bow in the back windshield. It is a shame what schools have become.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 22:49   #8
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Heck, when I was in high school taking a pocket knife with you wasn't a sin; taking a rifle in your car, and keeping it there wasn't a sin; in fact with some schools you just checked it in the office, and picked it up at the end of the day.

But, I am from the age of the dinosaurs according to the younger set.

Now a days I would talk with the teacher, the principal, and maybe even a member of the school board; having it all on tape along with written assurances that the kid would not be hurt by this small thing.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.

Last edited by Hack; 11-29-2011 at 22:49..
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00   #9
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Golly I drove to HS everyday with a PSE bow in the back windshield. It is a shame what schools have become.
I have discussed this very thing with my coworkers. In college, I brought a vented rib shotgun barrel to use as an aid in giving a "how to" presentation of how to shoot clay pigeons. I could definately tell some people in the class were uneasy.

For something like this, how does the student know that she won't have that one, school official that lives in a different reality than everyone else? I would certainly want some clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:31   #10
TKOFaith
The InTIMidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
My son got a one day vacation for bringing empty casings to elementary school. YMMV
TKOFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30   #11
blueiron

Unless you get prior authorization in writing from the school district, don't bother. Take a photograph and put it into PowerPoint. All it takes is one fool to 'take offense' and there goes your child's academic career.

Firearms have been thoroughly vilified and no more so, than in academia.

For what it's worth, I lettered in JV and Varsity Rifle at my high school back in the day. Plenty of people called it a worthless sport even then, but it did me well in the Marines and in LE. The world has changed and not for the better.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27   #12
scottydl

The school's concern (and justifiable IMO) is what if the casing got dropped by accident, and then someone finds it. Leads a reasonable person to believe there is a firearm in the school somewhere, i.e. mandatory lockdown, police swarm the area, evacuation, major deal. Context is everything.

Get it cleared with the principal (you do it or have the approving teacher do it) and make sure your daughter has a plan for when/where/how the casing will be stored and displayed during her presentation. You'd probably be okay in that case.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 13:13   #13
Numismatist
5-Stand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Heck, when I was in high school taking a pocket knife with you wasn't a sin; taking a rifle in your car, and keeping it there wasn't a sin; in fact with some schools you just checked it in the office, and picked it up at the end of the day.

But, I am from the age of the dinosaurs according to the younger set.

Now a days I would talk with the teacher, the principal, and maybe even a member of the school board; having it all on tape along with written assurances that the kid would not be hurt by this small thing.
I remember driving the High School and parking in the school lot and having the Principal come out and look at my shotgun in the truck, then we'd go to his truck and look at his...no worries. Nowadays, I'd be behind bars for that...
Remington 1100 LT Sporting 20 shotgun
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 13:23   #14
blueberry1177

This is ridiculous it's a piece of brass at the most yet in today's world it's blown out of proportion. When i was in grade school I brought them in a zip lock bag to show my friends at lunch. Though looking back now I feel like if someone complained I would be in big trouble.
blueberry1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 19:42   #15
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I would take a picture of the casing. Then, take a picture of the picture. Then, take a picture of the picture of the picture.
I'd quadrople or quintuple with a picture of the principal holding a picture of the picture in front of the Superintendent of schools with a picture in front of the school board....