SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2012, 14:26   #21
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

New questions, everybody.

I've got my rifle almost complete. I have a 16" barrel with a midlength has system. I also installed a standard A2 FSB. But I'm considering trying a free-float handguard. Since I went with an attached FSB, I know a regular 9" (since I went midlength) handguard won't fit, but what if I bought a carbine length free-float handguard? Has anyone else done this, and how do you think it'd work?

Also, where are the points you measure from to determine the handguard length you need? Is it measured from the flat back of the FSB to the flat front edge of the upper receiver?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
If you need something more powerful than a .45, you need something more powerful than a handgun.
RustyDaleShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 15:53   #22
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDaleShackleford View Post
New questions, everybody.

I've got my rifle almost complete. I have a 16" barrel with a midlength has system. I also installed a standard A2 FSB. But I'm considering trying a free-float handguard. Since I went with an attached FSB, I know a regular 9" (since I went midlength) handguard won't fit, but what if I bought a carbine length free-float handguard? Has anyone else done this, and how do you think it'd work?

Also, where are the points you measure from to determine the handguard length you need? Is it measured from the flat back of the FSB to the flat front edge of the upper receiver?

Thanks
A 9" rail will fit with no problem. If you don't want the trouble of pulling the upper apart again to replace the barrel nut, look at the DD Omega rail.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 16:24   #23
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
A 9" rail will fit with no problem. If you don't want the trouble of pulling the upper apart again to replace the barrel nut, look at the DD Omega rail.
No problem there, I don't have a barrel nut on there. Because the handguard I bought and ended up returning was a FF, it came with a barrel nut.

I'm assuming any FF handguard i buy's gonna have a barrel nut, right? Or if not, I'm not gonna buy one until I know it doesn't.

You're saying a 9" FF will work on my midlength???

And that DD is pretty dang expensive. The last FF I found was like $80 and was nice, except that it didn't fit. I feel I can get something like what I want for under $100. I can't make myself spend $250+ on just a handguard...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
If you need something more powerful than a .45, you need something more powerful than a handgun.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32   #24
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
Tip for crush washers with muzzle devices that need to be timed.

Tighten slowly and back off, repeat until you have almost timed it correctly. Then make final turn to time.

By backing off it allows the crush washer to compress enough that you can actually time the muzzle device. You should never "sand" them to make the muzzle device time properly.
I agree, which is why I've quit using crush washers altogether. When the washer puts your muzzle device 'out of time' by 350 it's impossible to 'tighten, back off' enough to crush it enough without deforming it more than sanding it ever would.

Still, I agree that sanding a washer is a terrible idea. Shims or peel washers are far better.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54   #25
Gribble
R. Shackleford

Interesting........

Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:18   #26
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribble View Post
interesting........
"gicgh!"

Quote:
Old 01-16-2012, 15:13   #27
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDaleShackleford View Post
No problem there, I don't have a barrel nut on there. Because the handguard I bought and ended up returning was a FF, it came with a barrel nut.

I'm assuming any FF handguard i buy's gonna have a barrel nut, right? Or if not, I'm not gonna buy one until I know it doesn't.

You're saying a 9" FF will work on my midlength???

And that DD is pretty dang expensive. The last FF I found was like $80 and was nice, except that it didn't fit. I feel I can get something like what I want for under $100. I can't make myself spend $250+ on just a handguard...
if you don't currently have a barrel nut, then you should look at some of the other rails, not the DD Omega. DD's Omega X, and Lite Rail use their own barrel nuts, and will come with them. Same for the Troy TRX and TRX Extreme.

As for cost - you absolutely get what you pay for. I've used cheap rails, and good rails. The good ones are worth every freaking penny. If you want something cheaper than DD, but still good quality, look at the Troy TRX Standard. The 9" should fit behind your FSB with no problem, but you'll have to remove the FSB from the barrel and reattach it to install the rail. You may also need to remove the handguard cap, but that can easily be done while the FSB is off.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar-15, build, carbine, faq, rifle