SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2011, 17:02   #1
collim1
Shower Time!

.44mag carbine ?'s

Out of a Marlin .44mag levergun what load would be recommended for whitetail deer? Preferably a light recoiling load.

Also what would be a good sight in range to get the maximum point blank range out of the .44mag? I sight my bolt action rifles in 3" high at 100yds.

Gun is for my 62yo father who wants to hunt with me this year. For some reason he does not want a bolt action rifle, he wants a lever action carbine.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 20:55   #2
9mm +p+

Out of a carbine it's be a 240/250gr bullet, personally I'd go with a 250 partition gold from Winchester(assuming they still make it). It's what I used in mine, I had it 1" high at 50yds. Can't find the ballistic chart that I referenced but it was back on at 150yds so it was basically a dead on hold.
Old 12-01-2011, 21:26   #3
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I just got a whitetail with a 235 gr hardcast semi wadcutter that I make in the garage. 19 grains of 2400 and it was going 1,680 from my Marlin 1894. Really an accurate setup.

Just about any factory ammo you buy will be full power. I'd look for a soft point instead of a hollow point. Just my preference for busting through the shoulder.

I just zero at 100 yards and don't worry about it.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 23:06   #4
K.Kiser

I handload 265 Hornady's for my pistol, it's a real good bullet but mainly it's what I had a pile of... If your using box ammo only, Federal has some pretty good stuff... They have a factory offering of 280 grain A-Frame bullets which would be pretty serious stuff as far as .44 mag goes, and would be a nice anchor load for deer and even larger animals... They also have the other typical weights, but also a 300 grains but thats not really necessary... I agree with no hollow points, unless it's specially constructed bullet like a Partition (aforementioned) or another penetrating design like the A-Frame which is very similar to the Partition... I shoot a pistol ,but I'd also like a .44 rifle... The longer barrel give a considerable velocity advantage, and is a clean killer for deer @ 100 yards easily... Don't go too light on the bullet, get a bullet made for hunting, put the shot in the right spot and it's a done deal...

Last edited by K.Kiser; 12-01-2011 at 23:11..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 13:06   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
I just got a whitetail with a 235 gr hardcast semi wadcutter that I make in the garage. 19 grains of 2400 and it was going 1,680 from my Marlin 1894. Really an accurate setup.

Just about any factory ammo you buy will be full power. I'd look for a soft point instead of a hollow point. Just my preference for busting through the shoulder.

I just zero at 100 yards and don't worry about it

^^^^^ This.

I agree with Steve..

OP

Man it don't take a bulldozer to kill a deer, (as i am sure you know), nor does it take a partition bullet. Anything Wal Mart sells will kill deer from that 44mag carbine or a 4" barrel hog leg.

Like Steve, I hand load all my own stuff, but deer are just not this hard to put down with the 44mag.

Don't get to woked up on 'the bullet' here from a 44mag Rifle. As Steve said, a 'plain 240gr soft point is plenty good'. Just get your dad used to the gun and sight it in for 100yds, and good to go amigo. You'll be fine.

Good hunting.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 13:42   #6
dkf

I would even feel comfortable with a heavier caliber 240gr or 300gr Hornady XTP bullet for deer. You'll get some expansion with the XTP but it does pretty good at staying together and doesn't expand that much that you will not get adequate penetration. Deer are not really that awful hard to kill.

A lever action .44mag and .357mag is always something I've wanted but never could really justify buying. Maybe some day.

Last edited by dkf; 12-02-2011 at 13:43..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:26   #7
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Back to the "light recoiling load" thing - what I was getting at is if you want something other than full power, you'll need to roll them yourself. I do have some mid-range loads I do with Unique for pistol, but never shot them from the rifle (more barrel kind of needs a slower powder). If he's recoil sensitive, you can always put a butt pad on the rifle, but they don't kick that hard to begin with... certainly nothing you'll notice when hunting.

I looked back at my notes - with my 235 gr bullet zeroed at 100 yards, I'm about an inch and a half high at 50 and about 6 inches low at 150. It has a trajectory pretty close to peeing off a cliff. Suffice it to say I try to keep shots on game inside 100 yards.

I do like the XTP for a holler point.

Good luck.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 16:37   #8
t-shooter

My 12 year old son and I got two 44 mag carbines in preparation for deer hunting next year in Indiana. We bought an H&R Single-shot and a Marlin 1894. We found the Hornady 225 grain Leverevolution shoots flat, accurately and is mild in recoil. After trying a number of different loads the Leverevolution is what we settled on.
t-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 18:50   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

Thanks guys. I gotta get him in a gun and scope and get him to the range. Season is wasting. I think I will give the Hornady levergun load first dibbs and see how it shoots.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:01   #10
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Out of a Marlin .44mag levergun what load would be recommended for whitetail deer? Preferably a light recoiling load.

Also what would be a good sight in range to get the maximum point blank range out of the .44mag? I sight my bolt action rifles in 3" high at 100yds.

Gun is for my 62yo father who wants to hunt with me this year. For some reason he does not want a bolt action rifle, he wants a lever action carbine.
Any good jacketed bullet in 240 grain would be ideal. Remington makes some good ones as well as the Hornady XP. I think you will find recoil very tolerable in the carbine even from some pretty stout .44 Mag loads. The .44 mag's effective range is about 100yards or maybe 150 yards tops. I would personally set it dead on at 100 or no more than an inch high.

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 12-03-2011 at 08:05..
Kentucky Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:44   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

[QUOTE=The .44 mag's effective range is about 100yards or maybe 150 yards tops. I would personally set it dead on at 100 or no more than an inch high.[/QUOTE]

That is what I needed to know, and the general consensus seems to agree with you. Thanks.