GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 13:59   #1
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 8,032
List of federally prohibited places for carry

Discussing places that you can't carry a gun here with my brother. It started with him saying that carrying at the gun show is illegal and pretty much any gathering of people is illegal. I see nothing in 790 stating as such. However it occured to me that it may be a federal law. Any insight on this?
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:37   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,412


Huh? If it's a federal facility, read federal employees go there regularly to perform duties, then it's illegal federally. I doubt very seriously your gun show is anything like that.

Florida, dunno. Federally, I'd be willing to bet there's nothing restricting it.
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 14:50   #3
xmanhockey7
Senior Member
 
xmanhockey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Discussing places that you can't carry a gun here with my brother. It started with him saying that carrying at the gun show is illegal and pretty much any gathering of people is illegal. I see nothing in 790 stating as such. However it occured to me that it may be a federal law. Any insight on this?
Tell him to provide cite for the law he is referencing.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 15:11   #4
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,543
Don't confuse what's prohibited by Federal law (ie: carrying in Federal courts & buildings, etc...) with what's prohibited by state/local laws (ie: carrying on public school grounds, etc...) with what a private property owner can deny (ie: carrying at a commercial gun shows).
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 15:12   #5
poodleplumber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,022
Gun shows usually exclude carry of loaded firearms as a matter of policy, not as a matter of law. "Any gathering" is far too broad, and is not contained in the Florida or Federal law. Federal law covers federal buildings and Florida law is very specific to bars, schools and school events, jails and police stations. Gathering places like theaters, parks, and concerts never come up in Florida or Federal law. Some other states (NC IIRC) have provisions prohibiting carry wherever admission is charged, so his generalization is quite a bit closer to the mark in those jurisdictions.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 16:02   #6
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Can't say that I find fault with the gun show operators. People have accidents with guns almost as often as they do with automobiles.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 16:59   #7
Donn57
Just me
 
Donn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,066


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Can't say that I find fault with the gun show operators. People have accidents with guns almost as often as they do with automobiles.
So why let people carry guns anywhere at all? Why are gun shows special?
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 17:25   #8
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
So why let people carry guns anywhere at all? Why are gun shows special?
Too easy to get cleared guns mixed up with loaded carried guns is my guess. Same reason some gun shops don't allow carry.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 22:10   #9
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
Maybe not in FL but I believe there USED to be a public gathering law in GA so your friend might be getting a bit confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Too easy to get cleared guns mixed up with loaded carried guns is my guess. Same reason some gun shops don't allow carry.
IMO a cleared gun and a loaded gun are treated exactly the same way. Who cares whether it is cleared or not, point the weapon in a "safe" direction and do not pull the trigger if you don't intended to fire. When you pick up the weapon, always clear it and then handle it safely; shouldn't be busy trying to figure out which gun is which. IMHO
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14   #10
jb1911
Senior Member
 
jb1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Can't say that I find fault with the gun show operators. People have accidents with guns almost as often as they do with automobiles.
Proof?
__________________
Chuck Norris wears Hickok45 pajamas

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15   #11
srprex
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 74
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is my usual policy on where I carry....so that's most places...unless they have metal detectors.
I don't understand the prohibition at gun shows either. I have yet to pick up the paper and see an article where people were shot....either accidently or on purpose even at a gun range where everyone is packing and shooting, reloading, etc. Have you? So what's the problem? If I want to destroy someone at a gun show....what would keep me from bringing in a few 12 gauge shells...pick up an 870 and blast away? And, a gathering of people.....that could be Walmart! And aren't the same people that frequent a mall....going to the post office? All these prohibited places (workplace, schools, etc.) betray an anti-2A bias.....it is the will and desire of the bad guy intent on doing evil that is the threat...not law-abiding citizens, armed to defend themselves! Disarming the public only makes the public vulnerable and unprotected.
srprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 13:53   #12
failsafe
Senior Member
 
failsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,344
IF, thats a big IF, you have a concealed license, have a pistol out of sight on your person...More power to you at the GunShow's..But don't be taking it out and trying to find a holster for it..As far as other weapon's in clear sight, have them checked at the door and zip tied or such...
I quit going to GS's, just too many inexperienced people handling firearms..That along with no good buy's and a cover charge that border's on ridiculous....Nope...
__________________
Sniper's philosophy: "If you run, you'll only die tired."

Last edited by failsafe; 12-03-2011 at 13:54..
failsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 14:26   #13
Spiffums
I.C.P.
 
Spiffums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,097
Some states have a prohibition on carrying where people gather. There was a big sign here about no loaded guns at the gun show and they pointed out this included carry permits.
Spiffums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 15:00   #14
slims00ls1z28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
IMO a cleared gun and a loaded gun are treated exactly the same way. Who cares whether it is cleared or not, point the weapon in a "safe" direction and do not pull the trigger if you don't intended to fire. When you pick up the weapon, always clear it and then handle it safely; shouldn't be busy trying to figure out which gun is which. IMHO
True but I can't count the number of times I've seen that violated by people who haven't the first clue about what they are doing or any of the cardinal sins. Just go to a show and watch people, count how many times you see the first thing someone do is wrap their finger around the trigger when one is handed to them, how many people get "lasered" with the muzzle of a weapon, etc. If I don't know your level of familiarity with a weapon I'd be nervous around you handling a weapon that I don't personally know to be unloaded too. I don't blame gunshows for their policies, but fully understand why they are in place, there's alot more going on there than a gunstore where every dealer has to hand you the weapon vs many just sitting on tables. The local gunstores I frequent don't have a no carry inside the store, just a no handling policy, if it's loaded it stays on your side, want to see if your gun fits a certain holster, here is one just like it I know to be unloaded to test fit with.

As far as federal laws go the only places I thought were federal were schools and any federal properties, everything esle was state decided.
__________________
Kalashinikov #364, Ruger Club #364, Tactical Shotgun Club #364, Rimfire club #364, Still waiting on 10MM #364
slims00ls1z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 15:11   #15
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen
 
SpectreRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoFla... want to move to America.
Posts: 912
John Rambo- Just go look in your copy of Gutmacher.
Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership by Jon H. Gutmacher is the must have book for everyone who CC's in FL. The Federal law section would answer your question.
BTW, a gun show is not a federally prohibited place.
__________________
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more. -neil peart
What too many in America are missing is a sense of personal responsibility. -me
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 15:23   #16
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Can't say that I find fault with the gun show operators. People have accidents with guns almost as often as they do with automobiles.
I think you are being sarcastic. At least I hope so. We both know your statement is nowhere close to accurate. Don't we?
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 15:42   #17
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,280
After attending a gun show today, I can see why they want the weapons ziptied. I watched the people just sweep and point the guns everywhere and at everyone. Not that advocate the banning of carrying them, but from a safety standpoint, I can understand. Another reason why I only go once a year.

IIRC, there is no Fed law preventing carrying in gun shows, nor a state law.



red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632


R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie

Last edited by redbaron007; 12-03-2011 at 15:44..
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 17:11   #18
Mr. Blandings
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by srprex View Post
I have yet to pick up the paper and see an article where people were shot....either accidently or on purpose even at a gun range where everyone is packing and shooting, reloading, etc. Have you?
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...90AF9964A0A8DE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXKgL64GVc
#1. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-gun-show.html
#2. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-firearm.html
#3. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-gun-show.html
#4. http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/o...-gun-show.html
#5. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...discharge.html
#6. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...er-merged.html

I could probably go on, but I'm sure you get the point.
__________________
Alumnus:
Massad Ayoob, Calibre Press, GLOCK, Southern Exposure Training Center, Randy Cain, Andy Stanford, ASP, Modern Combative Systems, National Rifle Association.
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 17:23   #19
Mr. Blandings
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,187
Also, http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/13/Hi...s_at_Tam.shtml

This was a 10 hour long hostage standoff that took place at a fairly large gunstore/indoor range. Although management prohibits staff from carrying firearms at least two customers were on the range shooting a shotgun at the time the incident began (one of which turned out to be a convicted felon on probation, he was later arrested: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/20/Hi...tage_jai.shtml).
__________________
Alumnus:
Massad Ayoob, Calibre Press, GLOCK, Southern Exposure Training Center, Randy Cain, Andy Stanford, ASP, Modern Combative Systems, National Rifle Association.
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 18:06   #20
kensteele
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
True but I can't count the number of times I've seen that violated by people who haven't the first clue about what they are doing or any of the cardinal sins. Just go to a show and watch people, count how many times you see the first thing someone do is wrap their finger around the trigger when one is handed to them, how many people get "lasered" with the muzzle of a weapon, etc. If I don't know your level of familiarity with a weapon I'd be nervous around you handling a weapon that I don't personally know to be unloaded too. I don't blame gunshows for their policies, but fully understand why they are in place, there's alot more going on there than a gunstore where every dealer has to hand you the weapon vs many just sitting on tables. The local gunstores I frequent don't have a no carry inside the store, just a no handling policy, if it's loaded it stays on your side, want to see if your gun fits a certain holster, here is one just like it I know to be unloaded to test fit with.

As far as federal laws go the only places I thought were federal were schools and any federal properties, everything esle was state decided.

I wouldn't know; haven't been back to a gunshow in years since I turned to see a guy pointing a rifle directly at me, I guess he was "sighting" in the weapon before buying it like some sort of inspection. Aiming it up at the ceiling is one thing but shouldering the weapon and aiming it across the room at me is stupid.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 18:35   #21
slims00ls1z28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
I wouldn't know; haven't been back to a gunshow in years since I turned to see a guy pointing a rifle directly at me, I guess he was "sighting" in the weapon before buying it like some sort of inspection. Aiming it up at the ceiling is one thing but shouldering the weapon and aiming it across the room at me is stupid.

Yep I believe it. I don't go myself anymore, one because of this and two because they always seem to be jacked up pricing wise.
__________________
Kalashinikov #364, Ruger Club #364, Tactical Shotgun Club #364, Rimfire club #364, Still waiting on 10MM #364
slims00ls1z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19   #22
srprex
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 74
I do appreciate the links! Like I say, I wasn't aware of these.....but they are instructive.....wonder if any of parties responsible for the ND's are permit holders?
srprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06   #23
Lord
Senior Member
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
Yep I believe it. I don't go myself anymore, one because of this and two because they always seem to be jacked up pricing wise.
Yes they do!!! I went to the gun show last weekend and saw a Kimber Ultra Covert II. Kimber's website has them for $1603.00 The guy at the gun show had it for $1650.00 I challenged him on it and his answer? He simply shrugged and smiled. I walked away.

yeah I know, with taxes, any possible shipping and FFL charges etc it would cost more, but there's a principle involved.
__________________
Lord
G-19, PT-140 Pro, PT-111 Pro, Core-15
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12   #24
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 8,032
Thanks for the info, guys. I was fairly certain that was the case, but as I had never seen these mystical federally prohibited places with my own eyes, I didn't want to open my yap until I had some kind of confirmation. Carried my P3AT with me the whole day anyhow.

Ended up picking up a Mossy 500, more of less unmolested, in pretty good shape with a rifled barrel with Cantilever scope AND a smoothbore with choke threads and a cheap Bushnell scope for 265 out the door. First gun I've ever bought at a gunshow, and it was a decent deal. I got there when it opened on Saturday, and the people were much better than the other times I had gone at the end of the weekend on Sunday.

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-04-2011 at 11:12..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,109
358 Members
751 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42