Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:39   #1
JuneyBooney

Motorcycle Helmets

I was curious and maybe some of you guys have an answer. In Pennsylvania you don't have to wear a motorcycle helmet if you are an adult. So I see lots of riders without helmets on nice days. But I also see them riding in Maryland to West Virginia and Virginia on the I81 corridor without the helmets. I know Maryland used to not have a "bucket law" and some Western States also are the same as Pa. But does your state give tickets to out of state riders without helmets? I can't find this on a search of applicable helmet laws that are enforced? Of course now in the winter most riders wear helmets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40   #2
wrenrj1

Nebraska-Yes. Everyone must abide by state law, even tourists...
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43   #3
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Nebraska-Yes. Everyone must abide by state law, even tourists...
That is interesting. I am curious as to what the other guys say and the enforcement in their states. Thanks

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:50   #4
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

We don't have a helmet law, but doubt I would be giving a free pass to somebody just because their state didn't require a helmet.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57   #5
AA#5

That means in Pennsylvania, there are more organs available for transplant.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:04   #6
Bodyarmorguy

FL - A helmet is required for riders and passengers under age 21. Age 21 and up a helmet is optional if you can show a minimum of $10k in medical insurance coverage. I have a 2012 Harley Road Glide that is my daily driver for the most part, I wear my helmet (half-shell) every time I mount up, even just quick trips to the store. I have seen the head injuries from low speed impacts and falls. They make sense.

Last edited by Bodyarmorguy; 12-03-2011 at 12:06..
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:21   #7
Ajon412

New York State VTL:

S 381. Motorcycle equipment:

6. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or ride upon a
motorcycle unless he wears a protective helmet of a type which meets the
requirements set forth in section 571.218 of the federal motor vehicle
safety standards as may from time to time be amended. The commissioner
is hereby authorized and directed to adopt regulations for helmets which
are consistent with the requirements as specified in section 571.218 of
the federal motor vehicle safety standards as may from time to time be
amended. The police authorities of a city, town or village may issue a
permit exempting members of organizations sponsoring or conducting
parades or other public exhibitions from the provisions of this subdivi-
sion while such members are participating in such parades or other
public exhibitions.

New Jersey Title 39:

39:3-76.7. Protective helmets
6. a. No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the director. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides thereof. The director is authorized and empowered to adopt rules and regulations covering the types of helmets and the specifications therefor and to establish and maintain a list of approved helmets which meet the specifications as established hereunder. For the purposes of this section, motorcycle shall not include any three-wheeled motor vehicle equipped with a single cab with glazing enclosing the occupant, seats similar to those of a passenger vehicle or truck, seat belts and automotive steering.

b. The director shall not assess motor vehicle points for the failure of a motorcycle operator or rider to wear a protective helmet.

Hopes this helps....... I often see motorcyclists traveling on I-84 between PA and NYS stopping on the PA side to put on their helmets
Ajon412 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46   #8
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

In MO they are required, but in OK and KS they are not.

People coming in from those states have to stop at the state line and done helmets or risk a huge $5 ticket.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36   #9
steveksux
Massive Member

My thought has always been if you don't think you need to protect your brain with a helmet, you're absolutely right.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56   #10
MedicOni

In NM, under eighteen means you are required to have a helmet on. And I've seen teenage riders from TX and AZ when I've been on trips get tickets for not only speeding, but when the officer realized the age, they were given tickets for no helmet as well.

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 14:35   #11
Ducowti

Lid law enforced here. CT, and of course as noted PA, does not, and I see guys all the time pull over at the state lines to either replace or remove their lids per their direction-of-travel-state's law. So at least around here they get it!

Last edited by Ducowti; 12-04-2011 at 14:36..
Ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:02   #12
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicOni View Post
In NM, under eighteen means you are required to have a helmet on. And I've seen teenage riders from TX and AZ when I've been on trips get tickets for not only speeding, but when the officer realized the age, they were given tickets for no helmet as well.
Never understood the under/over 18 argument (speaking to this topic) concerning a helmet. It's the same brain, just a day older once you turn 19.
Old 12-04-2011, 21:08   #13
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
In MO they are required, but in OK and KS they are not.

People coming in from those states have to stop at the state line and done helmets or risk a huge $5 ticket.
Really? $5 is all?
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:12   #14
MedicOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Never understood the under/over 18 argument (speaking to this topic) concerning a helmet. It's the same brain, just a day older once you turn 19.
Here in NM from talking to a few officers the best I can come up with is that when you're 18 or over, you're an adult and can make all the stupid decisions you want.
But when you're 17 or younger, the law basically looks at you that it has to try and protect you since you're still a 'child'

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 15:37   #15
ray9898

In GA you must wear a helmet, it does not matter what the law is in your home state.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote